Ajax brake wheel size.

Scott

Does anybody know what exactly the outside diameter of the Ajax brake wheel measures? Going to use that measurement to figure out other details on the end.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

Rhbale@...

When was the prototype car built? Is the brake wheel in question cast iron or pressed steel?

In a message dated 8/3/2017 5:44:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Does anybody know what exactly the outside diameter of the Ajax brake wheel measures? Going to use that measurement to figure out other details on the end.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

mark_landgraf

22 inches for the style that mounts on a boxcar, hopper, gondola

Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:46 PM
To: STMFC@...
Reply To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Ajax brake wheel size.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

Scott

Thank you Mark!

Rhbale@...

Most wheels mounted vertically on power hand brake mechanisms are 22-inches in diameter which is within the A.A.R. standard. The A.A.R. standard for brake wheels mounted horizontally on vertical shafts is a minimum of 15-inches with 16-inches preferred.  Incidentally, between 1926 and 1994 Ajax produced 37 different models of hand brake wheels.

In a message dated 8/3/2017 6:27:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

22 inches for the style that mounts on a boxcar, hopper, gondola

Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:46 PM
To: STMFC@...
Reply To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Ajax brake wheel size.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

There are 5 malleable ( cast ) versions of the Ajax 22" vertical brake wheel. These would apply for most of the time period of this list. The first 2 are rare and were only applied to very early gears from the '26 period. I know of only 3 versions of the forged ( stamped ) wheel with 2 coming in at the end of our period of interest. I would very much like to see or be directed to any documentation of any other wheel versions. Gears, that's another story.

As to the original question, all vertical wheel power hand brakes use 22" wheels except for a small number of early outlier wheel / gear variants. None of these outliers has been produced in model form or are likely to be.

Dan Smith

Scott

Thank you for the replies.

The wheel is on a SFRD Rr-43 reefer which was rebuilt late 40's. I will be honest and say I dont know how to tell the difference between a cast or stamped wheel. I am using the wheel as a reference to reverse engineer dimensions of the improved dreadnaught stampings.

Scott McDonald