Ajax brake wheel size.

Scott

Does anybody know what exactly the outside diameter of the Ajax brake wheel measures? Going to use that measurement to figure out other details on the end.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

Rhbale@...

When was the prototype car built? Is the brake wheel in question cast iron or pressed steel?

In a message dated 8/3/2017 5:44:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Does anybody know what exactly the outside diameter of the Ajax brake wheel measures? Going to use that measurement to figure out other details on the end.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

mark_landgraf

22 inches for the style that mounts on a boxcar, hopper, gondola

Does anybody know what exactly the outside diameter of the Ajax brake wheel measures? Going to use that measurement to figure out other details on the end.

Thanks

Scott.McDonald

Scott

Thank you Mark!

Rhbale@...

Most wheels mounted vertically on power hand brake mechanisms are 22-inches in diameter which is within the A.A.R. standard. The A.A.R. standard for brake wheels mounted horizontally on vertical shafts is a minimum of 15-inches with 16-inches preferred.  Incidentally, between 1926 and 1994 Ajax produced 37 different models of hand brake wheels.