Topics

a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Here is a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars... from the Barriger collection. Like many in this collection, it needs some post-processing to return best value.

MC 64878DS auto box
MC 93156 steel auto box

Next track...

PRR 723139 H21a hopper
PRR class XL boxcar (number illegible)
PRR steel drop end gon (number illegible), possibly class G22-subclass or G25 with possible wheel load
NH 109762 DS boxcar with steel ends

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12349994333/in/dateposted/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Dave Parker

Claus:

That is a nice shot.

The NH shorty closest to the camera is 16972, one of many such cars rebuilt between 1926 and 1929.  The paint looks pretty fresh, and even moreso on the two similar NH cars in the background.

That plus other clues narrow down the date of this photo fairly well (IMO).

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Friday, August 4, 2017 1:32 PM, "'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Hi List Members,

Here is a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars... from the Barriger collection. Like many in this collection, it needs
some post-processing to return best value.

MC 64878DS auto box
MC 93156 steel auto box

Next track...

PRR 723139 H21a hopper
PRR class XL boxcar (number illegible)
PRR steel drop end gon (number illegible), possibly class G22-subclass or G25 with possible wheel load
NH 109762 DS boxcar with steel ends

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12349994333/in/dateposted/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

There is also the only Winston-Salem Southbound car I’ve ever seen. Third sting of cars back, left edge of photo, with the sun shining through the gaps in the roof walk.

Schuyler

On Friday, August 4, 2017 1:32 PM, "'Claus Schlund' claus@hellgatemodels.com [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Here is a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars... from the Barriger collection. Like many in this collection, it needs
some post-processing to return best value.

MC 64878DS auto box
MC 93156 steel auto box

Next track...

PRR 723139 H21a hopper
PRR class XL boxcar (number illegible)
PRR steel drop end gon (number illegible), possibly class G22-subclass or G25 with possible wheel load
NH 109762 DS boxcar with steel ends

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12349994333/in/dateposted/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Over on the left there is what appears to be a Winston-Salem Southbound.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/4/17 4:32 PM, 'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC] wrote:
�

Hi List Members,

Here is a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars... from the Barriger collection. Like many in this collection, it needs
some post-processing to return best value.

MC 64878DS auto box
MC 93156 steel auto box

Next track...

PRR 723139 H21a hopper
PRR class XL boxcar (number illegible)
PRR steel drop end gon (number illegible), possibly class G22-subclass or G25 with possible wheel load
NH 109762 DS boxcar with steel ends

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12349994333/in/dateposted/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

al_brown03

Yup, there it is. Wow.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Brad Andonian

Fellas,

Anyone have info on the Winston Salem boxcar?   Possible car dimensional data, number etc

Thanks,
Brad andonian

On Friday, August 4, 2017, 4:15 PM, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Ok, in may orer:

Car series 2000-2024

40-6
10' h
3548 cu ft
1000,000 capy

Need a build date
Image of herald...?

Thanks,

On Friday, August 4, 2017, 6:16 PM, Brad Andonian wrote:

Fellas,

Anyone have info on the Winston Salem boxcar?   Possible car dimensional data, number etc

Thanks,
Brad andonian

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Richard Townsend

Two rows back from the Winston-Salem car, second from the left, is that an RF&P car? Or maybe BAR?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

On Friday, August 4, 2017 1:32 PM, "'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Here is a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars... from the Barriger collection. Like many in this collection, it needs
some post-processing to return best value.

MC 64878DS auto box
MC 93156 steel auto box

Next track...

PRR 723139 H21a hopper
PRR class XL boxcar (number illegible)
PRR steel drop end gon (number illegible), possibly class G22-subclass or G25 with possible wheel load
NH 109762 DS boxcar with steel ends

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12349994333/in/dateposted/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

How do you know what series it is? I think you have one too many zeros in your capy data!

Schuyler

Brad Andonian wrote;

Ok, in may orer:

Car series 2000-2024

40-6

10' h

3548 cu ft

1000,000 capy

Need a build date

Image of herald...?

Thanks,

Brad andonian

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad <https://yho.com/footer0>

On 8/4/17 4:32 PM, 'Claus Schlund' claus@hellgatemodels.com <mailto:claus@hellgatemodels.com> [STMFC] wrote:

Hi List Members,

Here is a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars... from the Barriger collection. Like many in this collection, it needs
some post-processing to return best value.

MC 64878DS auto box
MC 93156 steel auto box

Next track...

PRR 723139 H21a hopper
PRR class XL boxcar (number illegible)
PRR steel drop end gon (number illegible), possibly class G22-subclass or G25 with possible wheel load
NH 109762 DS boxcar with steel ends

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12349994333/in/dateposted/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Brad Andonian

Yes, one too many zeros.    Will re check orer

On Friday, August 4, 2017, 7:55 PM, 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Ted Culotta

The Winston Salem Southbound cars were ARA "Double sheathed" (steel with wood lining a la X29, M-26 et al) 1923 design, although photos are extremely scarce. I have a partial photo of one (well it's a negative that I need to print). I bought the neg just for that partial of the WSS car. Once I print it, I will post it on my blog.

Cheers,
Ted

David

I'm reasonably convinced these WSS boxes were closely related to the N&W class BS boxes and built by Roanoke sometime in the late 1920s.

David Thompson

James McDonald

Hi Richard,

I wondered if it could be RF&P too. The logo is about the right shape and position, and it’s possible that the lettering to the right side of the door says “RICHMOND” (though it’s hard to tell, honestly).

The car appears to be double sheathed. Contenders would then be the RFP 301-979 series 37’ box built in 1906 by the railroad’s shops with wooden frame, truss rods, metal draft arms, Hutchins inside metal roof, and Wagner doors* (58 in service in 1930), or the RFP 2001-2200 series 38’ boxcar built in 1907 by Western Steel Car & Foundry with steel fish belly under frame, Hutchins inside metal roof, and Wagner doors (166 in service in 1930). Both series had 5’6” door openings. The other double sheathed cars on the RF&P roster were 1911 Standard Steel Car automobile cars with double Wagner doors and a pronounced fascia that the other double sheathed cars did not have. I do not believe that the photo shows one of the automobile cars. If any RF&P car, I’d suspect it’s one of the 2001 series. By 1929/30 many of the RFP 301 series were on their way out and/or being converted into cabooses.

What puzzles me a bit is that the car ends are clearly steel, and all indications I’ve yet seen by reviewing RF&P records and photos show all of the RF&P’s double sheathed cars to have wood-sheathed ends. This would be the first retrofit I’ve encountered, if this is really an RF&P car.

All the best,

James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD

* At least one car from this series made it into MoW service and was photographed with its Wagner doors replaced with top hung sliding doors, though it is unclear when and how many cars were so treated.

2d. Re: a nice yard scene with several identifiable cars
Posted by: "Richard Townsend" richtownsend@netscape.net richtownsend2002
Date: Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:48 pm ((PDT))