Topics

it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

Schuyler Larrabee

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-04-17/X2189.jpg

I believe this is in New Jersey and the line overhead is the ERIE . . . but I may be wrong on that.

Lots of tell-tales.  My recollection is that the DL&W tell-tales were steel (iron?) rods hung from the bottom of a sheet of something like hardware cloth.

Schuyler

gary laakso

Not a tie plate to be seen!

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 6:03 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

I believe this is in New Jersey and the line overhead is the ERIE . . . but I may be wrong on that.

Lots of tell-tales.  My recollection is that the DL&W tell-tales were steel (iron?) rods hung from the bottom of a sheet of something like hardware cloth.

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Quite so, Gary. Even on the main lines, in this era (early 1910s) rails
were laid directly on the ties, not all of which were sawn flat on all four
sides. The sides were still as they came from the tree, in some cases. On
the ERIE, that condition lasted even longer, into the 20s.

Schuyler

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack- 08-04-17/X2189.jpg
<http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-04-17/X2189.jpg>

I believe this is in New Jersey and the line overhead is the ERIE . . . but
I may be wrong on that.

Lots of tell-tales. My recollection is that the DL&W tell-tales were steel
(iron?) rods hung from the bottom of a sheet of something like hardware
cloth.

Schuyler

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Schuyler and List members,

Notice that the first of the three PENNSYLVANIA GLa hoppers is lettered PENNSYLVANIA LINES on the side, with end reporting marks as "P.L."

The second was (at one time) lettered PENNSYLVANIA LINES on the side, but the word LINES was intentionally painted out. End reporting marks were changed to "P.R.R."

The third car was simply lettered lettered PENNSYLVANIA on the side - cannot see the end reporting marks.

All three cars still ride on archbar trucks and have center-bar lettering.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2017 6:43 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 6:03 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

I believe this is in New Jersey and the line overhead is the ERIE . . . but
I may be wrong on that.

Lots of tell-tales. My recollection is that the DL&W tell-tales were steel
(iron?) rods hung from the bottom of a sheet of something like hardware
cloth.

Schuyler

rwitt_2000

Claus,

Any guesses about the owner of the string of hoppers behind the PRR ones? To my eyes the reporting marks end in "-SEX". They are obviously taller than the GLa.

Bob Witt

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi

I was wondering that too. Given the reporting marks "-SEX", there are only 26 possibilities for what the dash can stand for!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Friday, August 04, 2017 8:01 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

Claus,

Any guesses about the owner of the string of hoppers behind the PRR ones? To my eyes the reporting marks end in "-SEX". They are obviously taller than the GLa.

Bob Witt

tbarney2004

I can't say that the list would be 100% accurate/inclusive, but the only reporting marks containing -SEX I could find online are:

A: ASEX Armour Stock Express (Armour Car Lines) 7/1932-7/1935 unlikely to be hoppers

D: DSEX East Carbon Development Co. (out of time frame/added 10/2006)

M: MSEX Muessel Brewing Co. (Merchants Despatch, Inc). 7/1935 or
MSEX Mountain States Energy Corp. (out of time frame/added 7/1986/eliminated 10/1987)

P: PSEX Public Service Electric & Gas Co. 7/1930-1/1941

R: RSEX Riverside Chemical Co. (out of time frame/added 1/1975 eliminated 4/1978)

U: USEX United States Railway Equipment Co. (out of time frame/added 4/1955 10/1957-1/1975 eliminated 7/1979)

The above came from Ian Cranstone's website. The page at the below link says the list is incomplete, but it includes ORER info from 8/1920, 7/1923, 7/1930, 7/1932, 7/1935, 7/1937, 4/1938, 1/1941 and newer which is well after the timeframe in question. Link to that copy is http://www.nakina.net/other/report/report.html

Also looks to be 3 or 4 tracks crossing 4 tracks at a 90 degree angle on similar style bridges. I know the configuration of Secaucus Junction today is 4 over 4 at right angles, with the former Erie line under, and the NEC above. Been a few months since I've been through there, but I think the upper tracks cross on through girder bridges similar to those in the picture that are mostly hidden by the platforms. That said, I have doubts that make me want to think this would not be the location.

Tim Barney

On 8/4/2017 11:10 PM, 'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC] wrote:
Hi

I was wondering that too. Given the reporting marks "-SEX", there are only 26 possibilities for what the dash can stand for!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Friday, August 04, 2017 8:01 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

Claus,

Any guesses about the owner of the string of hoppers behind the PRR ones? To my eyes the reporting marks end in "-SEX". They are
obviously taller than the GLa.

Bob Witt

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Claus Schlund" <claus@...>

Yahoo Groups Links

al_brown03

(1) Public Service Electric & Gas was and is a New Jersey utility. Per the 7/35 ORER, they had 600 55-ton hoppers, PSEX 0001-0600.

(2) Above PL 749097, some lettering just barely shows on the car behind it. I can convince myself it says "PUBLIC SERVICE ELECTRIC CO."

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

al_brown03

Forgot to mention that the ORER doesn't say anything about the height of the PSEX hoppers.

Anyone recognize the industry behind the embankment, to the left of the overhead bridge?

AL B.

tbarney2004

With the tell tales breaking up the outline of the letters, it's hard to make out.  To me, looks like the words to the right of the pole above the lettering on PL 719097 are Doors & Sash with the last two word to the left being MFG CO.  The first word visible I can only make out 5 letters, looking to be ARNES or ARMES.  The first obscured letter looks to have a straight edge on it's right side to me though.

And my doubts about it being what is today Secaucus Junction are stronger due to the lower track now looking to me more than 4 tracks, possibly 5 or 6 now?  In addition, looking closer, there looks to be a second crossing behind the first which explains the semaphores in the distance.

Tim Barney

On 8/5/2017 9:26 AM, abrown@... [STMFC] wrote:
Forgot to mention that the ORER doesn't say anything about the height of the PSEX hoppers.

Anyone recognize the industry behind the embankment, to the left of the overhead bridge?

AL B.

jczzo126 CocuzzaT

I think the most interesting car is the reefer second from the end, a wee bit of sag in it! I wonder how they get that door to close?