From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 6:03 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] it's just a STRING of hopper cars . . .

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-04-17/X2189.jpg

I believe this is in New Jersey and the line overhead is the ERIE . . . but I may be wrong on that.

Lots of tell-tales.  My recollection is that the DL&W tell-tales were steel (iron?) rods hung from the bottom of a sheet of something like hardware cloth.

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Quite so, Gary. Even on the main lines, in this era (early 1910s) rails
were laid directly on the ties, not all of which were sawn flat on all four
sides. The sides were still as they came from the tree, in some cases. On
the ERIE, that condition lasted even longer, into the 20s.

Schuyler

Not a tie plate to be seen!

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack- 08-04-17/X2189.jpg
<http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-04-17/X2189.jpg>

I believe this is in New Jersey and the line overhead is the ERIE . . . but
I may be wrong on that.

Lots of tell-tales. My recollection is that the DL&W tell-tales were steel
(iron?) rods hung from the bottom of a sheet of something like hardware
cloth.

Schuyler

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Schuyler and List members,

Notice that the first of the three PENNSYLVANIA GLa hoppers is lettered PENNSYLVANIA LINES on the side, with end reporting marks as "P.L."

The second was (at one time) lettered PENNSYLVANIA LINES on the side, but the word LINES was intentionally painted out. End reporting marks were changed to "P.R.R."

The third car was simply lettered lettered PENNSYLVANIA on the side - cannot see the end reporting marks.

All three cars still ride on archbar trucks and have center-bar lettering.

Claus Schlund