Topics

ATSF Tk-N Tk-O tank car models

Tim O'Connor

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 11, 2017, at 1:53 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Announcement pages 1 & 2 uploaded

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/36112470400/

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Thanks Tim.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:14 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Announcement pages 1 & 2 uploaded

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/36112470400/

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

charles slater

There are two major things wrong with their ad. First the side running boards WERE NOT DIAMOND PLATE steel but open grid steel the same as the dome platforms. Second the Tk-O is the same as the Tk-N and not the TK-M. I have sent the corrections to San Juan Car Co. and they said samples should arrive shortly and they think everything will be OK, otherwise we will have another bad model.
Charlie Slater

Bakersfield, Ca.

Sent from Outlook

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Jon Miller

On 8/13/2017 10:43 AM, Charles Slater atsfcondr42@... [STMFC] wrote:
otherwise we will have another bad model.

    Sorta (real loosely)  fits with my comments on .088 wheels!  For a 50-60 dollar car range these must be correct.  The folks buying these are not blue boxers so they should get them right.  The standard line if they don't is well nobody is buying them.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Michael Gross

Thank you, Charlie Slater.  It is people like yourself and so many others on this list to help manufacturers get things right.

Bravo!

James SANDIFER

I know the consultant who designed these, and he specified etched open grid running boards and platforms on his plan.  That does not mean that the models will have such, but they were originally designed that way.  (I had nothing to do with the design of this model.)

However, the Society Tank Car book says “running boards were diamond tread steel and dome platforms were of open grid steel construction.” A photo on page 89 of that book clearly shows the dome platforms to be open grid. None of the photos clearly show the running boards. You have probably switched a bunch of these and may have photos that the rest of us don’t have. I would assume the open grid to be much safer to walk on.

Yes, the TK-N and TK-O were identical.

I wish manufacturers would proof this type of thing more carefully before going public. The initial Rapido ATSF RDC ad has some significant problems too that they know about but have not corrected.

Maybe they want critics to point out the mistakes so they can get it right before production.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Charlie, I agree, which is why I wanted to bring it to this group's
attention! I also observe that NONE of the offered paint jobs represents
the delivery schemes! Other people have pointed out that American Limited's
previous freight car, a modern covered hopper, is TWO FEET shorter than it
should have been!

As I said, caveat emptor. Hopefully they will LISTEN to the EXPERTS. Otherwise
it's another $50 freight car boat anchor.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Jon

Their previous model was deeply flawed, but evidently they sold enough of
them to be able to afford to produce another. Let's hope they're not immune
to expert advice.

Tim O'Connor

On 8/13/2017 10:43 AM, Charles Slater atsfcondr42@... [STMFC] wrote:
otherwise we will have another bad model.

� � �  Sorta (real loosely)�  fits with my comments on .088 wheels!�  For a 50-60 dollar car range these must be correct.�  The folks buying these are not blue boxers so they should get them right.�  The standard line if they don't is well nobody is buying them.

--
Jon Miller

Tim O'Connor

I have a General American Tk-N builder photo that shows the running
boards from the B-end so you can't see through them, but they are most
definitely NOT diamond tread - You can see the rectangular grid pattern
and the thickness is consistent with an open grid.

Another data point is that my 1947 to 1949 builder photos appear to show
open grid running boards, although most of the pictures are ACF tank cars.
But it does seem that open grid had become the "standard" by this time.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

John Moore

Charlie

My folio sheet for the TK-N has the side running board as Blaw-Knox the same as the dome step.  My folio sheet for the TK-O did not call out either the side running board or the dome step.

I downloaded the advertising sheet for these tank cars showing the paint and lettering schemes for the cars are all dated outside the 1960 cut off date for the list.  They are painted like they would have been in service during the mid 1970s and 1980s

The commodity markings before 1960 were the gray diesel fuel (builders photo of TK-N with gray diesel fuel markings 1953 CBD) and maybe the red gasoline for these two tank car classes.

As you well know green distillate marking was used during this pre 1960  time period but may not have been used on either of  these two tank car classes.
Just comments

John in Albuquerque

There are two major things wrong with their ad. First the side running boards WERE NOT DIAMOND PLATE steel but open grid steel the same as the dome platforms. Second the Tk-O is the same as the Tk-N and not the TK-M. I have sent the corrections to San Juan Car Co. and they said samples should arrive shortly and they think everything will be OK, otherwise we will have another bad model.
Charlie Slater
Bakersfield, Ca.

WILLIAM PARDIE

One of the cars in my "TO BE UPGRADED"  pile is a Tk-O tank car from Division Point.  I purchased a photo of car number 98040 with a build date of 1963 from Bob's. The car is banded for DIESLE FUEL and the photo was taken in 1957,  What has held up my progress on this project are anti-slip strips placed around the dohme.  The pattern of the strips is not clear in the photo.  I would also like to know if the strips were on the car as delivered or added later.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Pardi

[...]

According to the Society tank car book: “the TN-N and TK-O classes were all but identical. The only difference visible in these photos is that the TK-O class had anti-skid strips applied on either side of the dome to provide more secure footing for workmen loading and unloading the cars.”

J. Stephen Sandifer

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

charles slater

Steve look at page 89 lower photo in the SRH&MS tank car book and you can see the walkways on a Tk-O. And yes I did handle many of these tank cars in my working days.

Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

charles slater

Could not agree more

Sent from Outlook

[...]

John you are correct, the running boards and dome platforms on both the Tk-N and Tk-O were from Blow-Knox.  The society tank car book page 84 calls that out and were

 11 3/4" wide. Also on page 89 you can see them on the lower photo.

Good to hear from you John

Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

There are two major things wrong with their ad. First the side running boards WERE NOT DIAMOND PLATE steel but open grid steel the same as the dome platforms. Second the Tk-O is the same as the Tk-N and not the TK-M. I have sent the corrections to San Juan Car Co. and they said samples should arrive shortly and they think everything will be OK, otherwise we will have another bad model.
Charlie Slater
Bakersfield, Ca.

charles slater

Bill the Tk-O's were built in 1953 not 1963. And no those non skid strips were not there as built but probably added in the 1970's or 1980's.

Charlie

Sent from Outlook

Delivery is 15 MONTHS or more, but reservations end in ONE MONTH

Caveat emptor

Tim,

I do not see these on the American Limited web site. Do you have any additional information?

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

American Limited has announced HO scale tank car models! Built in
the late 1940's with steel grid walkways and open grid dome platforms.

Too bad they're not SP tank cars. :-(

But they are the first 16,000 gallon plastic tank car models in HO scale
and a number of railroads had cars of this size. Major kitbash fodder if
nothing else. :-)

Tim O'Connor

npin53

There was an advertisement in the recent RMC.

Aaron Gjermundson

Bill Vaughn

They are out I have mine.

Bill Vaughn