From: "'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:19 PM
Subject: [STMFC] CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

Hi List members,

We have a nice image of CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/19140738830/sizes/o/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

Interesting construction of the diamonds.  Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Schuyler

Are those PRR position light signals on the right?

Todd Horton

Hi List members,

We have a nice image of CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/19140738830/sizes/o/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Yes... in fact, that style of signal bridge was common on the PRR Lines West.

Bill Daniels San Francisco, CA

On Friday, August 11, 2017 8:42 PM, "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Interesting construction of the diamonds.  Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Schuyler

Are those PRR position light signals on the right?

Todd Horton

Hi List members,

We have a nice image of CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/19140738830/sizes/o/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Tim O'Connor

Didn't the N&W also use position lights?

Yes... in fact, that style of signal bridge was common on the PRR Lines West.

Bill Daniels San Francisco, CA

On Friday, August 11, 2017 8:42 PM, "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Interesting construction of the diamonds.  Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Schuyler

Are those PRR position light signals on the right?

Todd Horton

Hi List members,

We have a nice image of CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/19140738830/sizes/o/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

rwitt_2000

Schuyler wrote: Interesting construction of the diamonds.  Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Not exactly a freight car topic, but could these diamonds be an early example of flange ways carrying the wheels over the crossing? I don't see a flange way gap for the tracks in the left to right direction.

Bob Witt

Track and its components are what our freight cars ride on.

Schuyler Larrabee

Bob, there HAS to be a gap for the flanges to pass across the track we’re standing (riding?) on. Are you suggesting that the flanges carried the weight of the car? That’s trolley technology, not steam road. I don’t care to bother to download the photo so I could zoom in close enough to see gaps in the tracks we’re on, but as I say, there HAS to be a gap for the crossing tracks.

You can see a flangeway gap in the other railroad’s tracks.

Did anyone ID a location for this?

That’s one weed-grown interchange track the ventilated box is on. And as you say, “Track and its components are what our freight cars ride on.”

Schuyler

Schuyler wrote: Interesting construction of the diamonds. Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Not exactly a freight car topic, but could these diamonds be an early example of flange ways carrying the wheels over the crossing? I don't see a flange way gap for the tracks in the left to right direction.

Bob Witt

Track and its components are what our freight cars ride on.

Jack Mullen

Bob, Interesting thought, but no. We can't clearly distinguish the flangeways due to foreshortening and lack of sufficient resolution in the image. Offhand, I don't think there was any experimentation with flange-bearing crossings having continuous rail for one route in the steam era.
If these were flange-bearing frogs, you'd see long flangeway risers to raise the wheels, with long raised guards for the backs of the flanges to provide guidance.

I didn't want to leave this issue unanswered, but it is OT, so unless the sheriff is feeling especially indulgent, try me offlist if you want to discuss further.

We do seem to have had quite a few non-freightcar comments recently. Perhaps we need a steam era railway track and structures group to move these discussions to?

Jack Mullen

Todd Horton

And the B&O as well,  I was trying to narrow down the location.

Todd Horton

Didn't the N&W also use position lights?

Yes... in fact, that style of signal bridge was common on the PRR Lines West.

Bill Daniels San Francisco, CA

On Friday, August 11, 2017 8:42 PM, "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Interesting construction of the diamonds.  Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Schuyler

Are those PRR position light signals on the right?

Todd Horton

Hi List members,

We have a nice image of CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/19140738830/sizes/o/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Todd Horton

Another thing worth noting is the the spacing between the numerals on the reporting mark on the car end.  There's a gap between the 2nd and next to last number position.

Todd Horton

From: "Bill Daniels billinsf@... [STMFC]"
To: "STMFC@..." Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 11:51 PM

Yes... in fact, that style of signal bridge was common on the PRR Lines West.

Bill Daniels San Francisco, CA

On Friday, August 11, 2017 8:42 PM, "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Interesting construction of the diamonds.  Not the usual somewhat monolithic assembly of parts, but instead, just a short guard rail opposite the actual junction of the opposite rails, much like a switch.

Schuyler

Are those PRR position light signals on the right?

Todd Horton

Hi List members,

We have a nice image of CG 56295, a ventilated boxcar...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/19140738830/sizes/o/

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Rufus Cone

The adjacent photo is the same location and would seem pretty unambiguous to identify for one familiar with the area (not me).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/18707740513/in/photostream/

Comments below both images say

 jonathanreece 2y
Limedale IN on Monon crossing PRR

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

golden1014

Hey Todd,

Limedale on the PRR-Monon.  Think T-1s, Qs and Js on the PRR.  That was a hot connection for both roads.  Note the interchange connections which allows steam era freight cars to be exchanged in either direction for both carriers.

I railfanned much of the old Monon main line ten years ago and there were still semaphores everywhere.

John Golden

Albersbach, Germany.

Todd Horton

Thanks John, I did see the later post about the PRR / Monon location.

The CG vent car is lettered with the post 12-1944 reporting marks so the photo is from at least that date. The Central used this style of lettering until 1958 but there were only a handful of these cars still in service by that time.

Todd Horton