READING well hole car information needed

Bruce Smith

​Folks,

I have recently been sent a photograph from the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank that shows Philadelphia and Reading 99007, a "well hole" flat car, with a load consisting of the bank's value door frame, produced by the York Safe and Lock Company of York PA.  Sadly, in the photo a crowd of gentlemen are blocking all of the car's data.  Would anyone happen to have any additional information on this car (such as build date, retirement, capacity, etc)?  The photo dates from early 1923 and I am working on getting permission to post it.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

currently in Longmont Colorado, Home of Oskar Blues Brewery ;)

William Dale

Bruce,
     The flat in question was one of three built for the P&R, 99005-99007 in 1918 under AFE# 6634.  This particular one was built on 4-1-18, had a capacity of 215,000 lbs, with well dimensions as follows, 7'5 3/4" (wide), 1'9" (deep), and 25'2" (long), with a 52'10" length.  They were basically flat steel, channels, and angles all riveted together and the trucks were also fabricated.  If memory serves correct they rode on 30" wheels. They served the Reading well finally being sold for scrap to Luria Brothers on June 1970! These were classed FWb.

Bill

al_brown03

There's a photo of P&R 99007 in MM 2/99 p74, and photos of RDG 99005 and 99007 in Bossler's Reading color guide, p 23.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bruce Smith

Al, Bill,

Thank you for the details on P&R 99007 (the James Bond flat car?)!  Another aspect of this move that I find interesting is that this car was used for this move, since, afaik, York Safe and Lock is not a Reading customer.  I guess that the PRR could not supply a car in a timely fashion, but my question then is, for the group in general,  how is a car like this requested?  Does PRR put out "feelers" to connections? Does the company do it?

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

temporarily in Longmont Co

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:48 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: READING well hole car information needed

There's a photo of P&R 99007 in MM 2/99 p74, and photos of RDG 99005 and 99007 in Bossler's Reading color guide, p 23.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

rwitt_2000

Bruce Smith wrote: Another aspect of this move that I find interesting is that this car was used for this move, since, afaik, York Safe and Lock is not a Reading customer.  I guess that the PRR could not supply a car in a timely fashion, but my question then is, for the group in general,  how is a car like this requested?  Does PRR put out "feelers" to connections? Does the company do it?

One place they may have started is the ORER of that time. Not sure when it started, but in the 1950s there was a special section listing such heavy duty flat cars by railroad. I am guessing it started with the RR freight agent requesting a suitable car.

Regards,

Bob Witt

Jack Mullen

Bruce,
The originating carrier was responsible for furnishing the car(s). Special moves like this weren't done by just requesting an empty. Normally there was considerable advance planning, the nature and amount depending on the size and weight of the load.

The railroad would have a car distributor specializing in special flats, who would locate and schedule an appropriate car. If there wasn't a home-road car available, he'd arrange for one from another road, with preference to one participating in the movement, or if necessary a private car. These folks did this on a regards basis, knew the corresponding people on other rrs, and would have a good idea of who would have what cars. And as Bob pointed out, the national special car fleet was tabulated in the ORER.

For excessive weight or dimensional loads, bridge engineers and clearance engineers would review and approve the load and route. This couldn't be completed until the car to be used was known.

Jack Mullen

Bruce Smith

I have posted the photograph of P&R 99007 with its load to our photos section.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn Al

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bruce asnd List Members,

Thanks Bruce for posting this.

Interesting way to support the load - looks like the transport engineers ran many, many timbers thru the opening to provide the primary support for the load.

I love the SOU and UP stock cars in the background - on a photo likely taken on the east coast somewhere, York PA perhaps?

Bruce, I don't recall if you mentioned a date in your initial inquiry - do we know what year this was taken?

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:01 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: READING well hole car information needed

I have posted the photograph of P&R 99007 with its load to our photos section. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/STMFC/photos/photostream/lightbox/1310474005?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/1310474005 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/STMFC/photos/photostream/lightbox/1310474005?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/1310474005

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn Al