READING well hole car information needed

Bruce Smith

​Folks,

I have recently been sent a photograph from the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank that shows Philadelphia and Reading 99007, a "well hole" flat car, with a load consisting of the bank's value door frame, produced by the York Safe and Lock Company of York PA.  Sadly, in the photo a crowd of gentlemen are blocking all of the car's data.  Would anyone happen to have any additional information on this car (such as build date, retirement, capacity, etc)?  The photo dates from early 1923 and I am working on getting permission to post it.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

currently in Longmont Colorado, Home of Oskar Blues Brewery ;)

William Dale

Bruce,
     The flat in question was one of three built for the P&R, 99005-99007 in 1918 under AFE# 6634.  This particular one was built on 4-1-18, had a capacity of 215,000 lbs, with well dimensions as follows, 7'5 3/4" (wide), 1'9" (deep), and 25'2" (long), with a 52'10" length.  They were basically flat steel, channels, and angles all riveted together and the trucks were also fabricated.  If memory serves correct they rode on 30" wheels. They served the Reading well finally being sold for scrap to Luria Brothers on June 1970! These were classed FWb.

Bill

al_brown03

There's a photo of P&R 99007 in MM 2/99 p74, and photos of RDG 99005 and 99007 in Bossler's Reading color guide, p 23.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bruce Smith

Al, Bill,

Thank you for the details on P&R 99007 (the James Bond flat car?)!  Another aspect of this move that I find interesting is that this car was used for this move, since, afaik, York Safe and Lock is not a Reading customer.  I guess that the PRR could not supply a car in a timely fashion, but my question then is, for the group in general,  how is a car like this requested?  Does PRR put out "feelers" to connections? Does the company do it?

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

temporarily in Longmont Co