Barber vs ASF in HO

Fred Jansz

Hi all, my WP modeling asks for two different plankless 50 ton trucks under one type of box car model (WP 20201-20550).
WP 20201-20350 had Barber S2 trucks and WP 20351-20550 had ASF A-3 trucks.
I've bought Branchline (Atlas) S-2's and Kato A-3's because these represent the prototypes best with their typical diagonal inner beam supports.
The Branchline S-2 truck has the thinner spring support and the Kato A-3 truck the thicker one.
However; the Kadee 562 A-3 truck might be a bit finer in the details than the Kato. Are there any other options for the Branchline S2, since the journal boxes are a bit skinny. Your thoughts are appreciated.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

pennsylvania1954

Hi Fred--For the Barber plankless, look at the Exactrail ET-114. It is on p. 11 of Richard Hendrickson's HO Freight Car Trucks.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Tim O'Connor

Red Caboose made an excellent Barber S2. Exactrail makes an S2 as well.
Neither one has the complete brake beam detail found on Kato, Tahoe, and
Kadee trucks.

Tim O'Connor

Hi all, my WP modeling asks for two different plankless 50 ton trucks under one type of box car model (WP 20201-20550).
WP 20201-20350 had Barber S2 trucks and WP 20351-20550 had ASF A-3 trucks.
I've bought Branchline (Atlas) S-2's and Kato A-3's because these represent the prototypes best with their typical diagonal inner beam supports.
The Branchline S-2 truck has the thinner spring support and the Kato A-3 truck the thicker one.
However; the Kadee 562 A-3 truck might be a bit finer in the details than the Kato. Are there any other options for the Branchline S2, since the journal boxes are a bit skinny. Your thoughts are appreciated.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

brianleppert@att.net

Tim,

Take another look at that Red Caboose Barber S2 truck.  As I recall, the truck bolsters are lacking the two wedge shapes visible at the ends. Inside these shapes, the real trucks had the spring loaded wedges that pressed against the columns. Without those, the truck cannot be an S2.

And Atlas's attempt had wedge shapes so lightly engraved they can hardly be seen.

Exactrail and Branchline S2 trucks were both done by the same mold maker.  The journal boxes on both are WAY too small.

When I tooled the Tahoe Barber S2 truck, I worked with the real trucks under a Milwaukee Road box car at the railroad museum in Portola, CA, and got to touch and measure the real thing.  Like the prototypes there, the Tahoe truck replicates S2 trucks with spring planks.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Tim O'Connor

Brian

I grant you all of that! But overall I find the RC truck the most pleasing
of the plankless Barber S2's. Your trucks are of course without equal, but
since you have spring planks, well... that is a disqualification as well for
many applications.

RC corrected the bolster ends on their 70 TON plain bearing Barber S2, thankfully.
I need far more of those for my own modeling.

Beggars can't be choosers, as my Mom used to say... :-)

Tim O'

[...]

Barber S-2 is visible on the Exactrail site and sold out. The Branchline/Atlas S-2 I have and it is the only plankless choice at the moment I'm afraid, despite it's 'skinny' journal boxes. That is, if Mr Leppart doesn't improve it in the near future... ;-))
BTW: my WP cars need the 50 Tons version, not 70.
Fred Jansz