From: "'Claus Schlund' claus@... [STMFC]"
Sent: Aug 13, 2017 1:03 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [STMFC] Anyone have any thoughts regarding an ID on this 40ft SS auto Box?

Hi List Members,

Anyone have any thoughts regarding an ID on this 40ft SS auto Box?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/32291091461/sizes/o/

Description sez "Negative 95 Rock Island Fairbury Nebr - station March 28 1962 001"

Claus Schlund

rwitt_2000

Claus,

I agree with Steve's observation. It sure looks like its from the same series of automobile box cars. The doors look very, very similar.

Here's the link again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/16225934465/sizes/o/

Regards,

Bob Witt

hubert mask

I believe it is a Rock Island car by the reporting marks

Hubert Mask

MAsk Island Decals Inc.

On Aug 13, 2017, at 3:09 PM, shile@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

That sure looks like a Rock Island car, similar to the one highlighted the other day with the wooden D&H hopper.  You can sort of see the Rock Island lettering stacked next to the door.

Steve Hile

Anyone have any thoughts regarding an ID on this 40ft SS auto Box?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/32291091461/sizes/o/

Description sez "Negative 95 Rock Island Fairbury Nebr - station March 28 1962 001"

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)

Hi List Members,

I swear, when I look at the car I cannot read a single letter on it! You guys must have better pattern-matching skills in your head than I do!

In any case, thanks for the ID.

Claus Schlund

Anyone have any thoughts regarding an ID on this 40ft SS auto Box?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/32291091461/sizes/o/

Description sez "Negative 95 Rock Island Fairbury Nebr - station March 28 1962 001"

Claus Schlund

Schuyler Larrabee

You mean to the right of the doors, RO|C&#92;&#92;K about even with the extraordinarily large tack board?

Schuyler

That sure looks like a Rock Island car, similar to the one highlighted the other day with the wooden D&H hopper. You can sort of see the Rock Island lettering stacked next to the door.

Steve Hile

Anyone have any thoughts regarding an ID on this 40ft SS auto Box?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/32291091461/sizes/o/

Description sez "Negative 95 Rock Island Fairbury Nebr - station March 28 1962 001"

Claus Schlund

Steve and Barb Hile

Close.  It's

/  RO||CK
ISLA||ND

to the left of the doors.

Bob Witt provided the link to the earlier photo where the lettering is clear.

Steve Hile

You mean to the right of the doors, RO|C\\K about even with the extraordinarily large tack board?

Schuyler