From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:09 AM
To: stmfc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] In search of Optivisor reccomendations

My eyes have reached the point where I need help, particularly when it comes
to adding details, including creating starting points for holes to be
drilled for handrails, etc. on both diesels and steam era rolling stock.

I'm looking at Optivisors, but could use some input on magnification and
focal length. Any and all insight appreciated!

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Schuyler Larrabee

Wayne, they may work very well for those whose vision is otherwise good, just magnifying things so they can be seen. But for those of us who are nearsighted, farsighted (and Bill, who’s remarkably one of each!!), or have astigmatism, and have to wear glasses to get out of bed safely in the morning, the Optivisor or equivalent is pretty much the only solution.

Schuyler

I agree with William - Walmart 3x reading glasses for $5 or so. Work great.

--

Wayne Cohen

spsalso

I am nearsighted.  My vision is sharp from around 8" to about 24" without glasses.

I have three Optivisors:  #3, #5 and #10, and have had them for at least 10 years..  I wear them without glasses.

I use the #5 almost exclusively.  As I was just a minute ago, and will when I go back to modeling in another few minutes.  It's on my head often enough that my neighbors must think I'm a counterfeiter or something.

I've never used the #3.  I occasionally use the #10 for close work.  It has an irritatingly close depth of field, so it's not an everyday sort of thing.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

william darnaby

Well...I wouldn't call my vision good.  I am also near sighted in my left eye and really near sighted in my right eye since youth plus an astigmatism.  I need glasses to drive.  For decades my right eye was my close up modeling eye until, with age I guess, I couldn't focus anymore on detail for my steam era freight cars.  The cheap reading glasses fixed that.  My eye doc concurred with my solution.  Your mileage my vary, of course, and it won't cost you a dime to try on a pair at the store.

Bill Darnaby

Wayne, they may work very well for those whose vision is otherwise good, just magnifying things so they can be seen.  But for those of us who are nearsighted, farsighted (and Bill, who’s remarkably one of each!!), or have astigmatism, and have to wear glasses to get out of bed safely in the morning, the Optivisor or equivalent is pretty much the only solution.

Schuyler

I agree with William - Walmart 3x reading glasses for $5 or so.  Work great.

--

Wayne Cohen

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

Peter Burr <pburr47@...>

I have used one of the cheap Harbor Freight type versions which includes a weak LED light source for several years with fairly good satisfaction. That said, I just bought an Optivisor knock-off on Ebay including four lenses (1.5x, 2.0x, 2.5x, and 3.5x) for $23.18, (free shipping). The difference in clarity is immediately noticeable. I also bought an LED attachment for it for $24.95, (free shipping), which I highly recommend. I could easily model in a completely dark room wearing this rig! Light + Magnification = Vision. The lenses are easy to change, or you could just buy another set for that price.
--

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, Bill, I tried them in the local CVS, and realized it was a no-go for me. I need my regular progressive-lensed glasses on so that when I drop some bit of my freight car (got to say SOMETHING about freight cars here!) on the floor, I can flip up the ‘visor and find it (I hope) and then just put the visor back down . . .

I must say that unlike most of those who have commented on this thread, I don’t live with the ‘visor on. I do most of my modeling without it, but when it’s what you need, there is no substitute.

Schuyler

Posted by: "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net <mailto:schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net> >

STMFC-digest@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC-digest@yahoogroups.com>

STMFC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>