From: "'Steve Sandifer' steve.sandifer@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 3:28 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Stock cars : racks

The ORER refers to stock cars (1890s) as “racks,” not double deck, or single deck, or Palace, but racks.  Can anyone tell me what that means?

J. Stephen Sandifer

Tom Vanwormer

Guys,
Some of the early "humane" stock cars had both internal and external racks to store the food that was to be consumed during the travel by the stock.  They also had water troughs and tanks to keep the critters watered.  Not a big success since eventually the livestock was stopped after the 28 or 36 hours and fed and watered in the on-line stock pens.

Tom VanWormer
Monument CO

Ray Breyer rtbsvrr69@... [STMFC] wrote:

??????
I just went through the first 100 pages of the June 1890 ORER and didn't see the word "rack" associated with stock cars once. I did see "Palace", "SD" and "DD".

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

The ORER refers to stock cars (1890s) as “racks,” not double deck, or single deck, or Palace, but racks.  Can anyone tell me what that means?

J. Stephen Sandifer

Steve SANDIFER

The 1888 ORER published by Westerfield shows the AT&SF having a large group of Rack Stk cars. In fact they have either combination box/stock or rack stock cars, no simple stock cars. My 1879 Live List also shows them as Rack Stock cars.

J. Stephen Sandifer

_____