C&BT reefers (was: C&BT, IMWX, and InterMountain 1937 Modified Kits

Tim O'Connor

Rich

I've wondered about this - the BODY and ENDS on his reefers were just fine.
It was the extremely poorly rendered roof that really spoils the model. If I
had seen only the body and ends I would have given them a thumbs up too. It's
a real shame because Dick cut bodies for several different SFRD reefers!

Tim O'Connor

As for the SFRD reefers test shots were provided to ATSF experts who "okayed" the model and then tossed Dick under the bus when they were released.

Rich Orr

SUVCWORR@...

Tim,

When production stopped he had plug door bodies already to go but the "overhanging" roof continued to be an issue.  To me, the biggest problem was the roof sat too high.  I don;t know if complete kits were provided for review or not.  I do know they were not assembled.

Rich Orr

I've wondered about this - the BODY and ENDS on his reefers were just fine.
It was the extremely poorly rendered roof that really spoils the model. If I
had seen only the body and ends I would have given them a thumbs up too. It's
a real shame because Dick cut bodies for several different SFRD reefers!

Tim O'Connor

As for the SFRD reefers test shots were provided to ATSF experts who "okayed" the model and then tossed Dick under the bus when they were released.

Rich Orr

Richard Townsend

Didn't at least some of the plug door versions get released. I think I have two different plug door CB&T SFRD reefers in my stash.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

When production stopped he had plug door bodies already to go but the "overhanging" roof continued to be an issue.  To me, the biggest problem was the roof sat too high.  I don;t know if complete kits were provided for review or not.  I do know they were not assembled.

Rich Orr

I've wondered about this - the BODY and ENDS on his reefers were just fine.
It was the extremely poorly rendered roof that really spoils the model. If I
had seen only the body and ends I would have given them a thumbs up too. It's
a real shame because Dick cut bodies for several different SFRD reefers!

Tim O'Connor

As for the SFRD reefers test shots were provided to ATSF experts who "okayed" the model and then tossed Dick under the bus when they were released.

Rich Orr

Benjamin Hom

Rich Orr wrote:
"As for the SFRD reefers test shots were provided to ATSF experts who "okayed" the model and then tossed Dick under the bus when they were released."

Tim O'Connor replied:
"I've wondered about this - the BODY and ENDS on his reefers were just fine.  It was the extremely poorly rendered roof that really spoils the model. If I had seen only the body and ends I would have given them a thumbs up too. It's a real shame because Dick cut bodies for several different SFRD reefers!"

Rich Or replied:
"When production stopped he had plug door bodies already to go but the "overhanging" roof continued to be an issue.  To me, the biggest problem was the roof sat too high.  I don't know if complete kits were provided for review or not.  I do know they were not assembled."

The roof issue was exacerbated by the poor underframe design that made the finished models ride too high, and the aforementioned poor detail parts and trucks.

"Tossed Dick under the bus" seems a bit strong as the models had these deficiencies plus the poor detail parts, both of which were covered at the time in magazine reviews by Tony Thompson and Andy Sperandeo.  Andy's review was comprehensive and provided instruction on how to correct the worst problems.  We complain on this list about softball reviews in the magazines, so if honestly describing how to fix shortcomings is tossing a manufacturer under the bus, it might be time to question why you're on this list.

More on improving these models at Tony's blog here:

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

I purchased three of the reefer kits soon after their release. Soon after Keith Jordan published an article in RMJ detailing the several things he did to fix the model, including adding putty to the ends and re-sculpting them. In the article he said that a set of resin castings would be forthcoming to fix the kit's problems. I wrote to Keith a couple of times including SASE but never heard anything further about the parts. This was early in my freight car modeling and I decided to wait to try improving on my own but then InterMountain and Long's Drug offered their kits and I gave the C&BT kits to a friend. Sunshine through Charley s\Slater filled in the gaps.

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Ben Hom wrote:

"Tossed Dick under the bus" seems a bit strong as the models had these deficiencies plus the poor detail parts, both of which were covered at the time in magazine reviews by Tony Thompson and Andy Sperandeo.  Andy's review was comprehensive and provided instruction on how to correct the worst problems.  We complain on this list about softball reviews in the magazines, so if honestly describing how to fix shortcomings is tossing a manufacturer under the bus, it might be time to question why you're on this list.

More on improving these models at Tony's blog here:

       Andy and I wrote our reviews of the Santa Fe reefer independently and both of us took the same approach: the kit can be fixed and can end up as a decent model. But the design deficiencies were daunting. There was real surgery getting the coupler height right and fixing the bolsters so the trucks were in the right relation to the body. There were some other problems, such s the ice hatches sitting well down inside the hatch platforms. All fixable, as both Andy and I said, but if Dick ended up under the bus, he crawled most of the way himself.
       Dick was a skilled modeler, but his die sinker was not really up to the whole job, and kit design got lost along the way somewhere. Being a good modeler does NOT make you a designer, as Dennis and some others on the list can testify.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

I had several different plug door body kits. He also produced very nice decal sets.
I have a couple of those.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Ben,

I used the term in reference to the fact that those individual(s) had the opportunity to tell Dick that there were issues with the cars but did not.  In fact, told him they were good to go and then that same individual(s) harshly criticized the models they said were accurate and good to go into production.  I don't know how else such behavior can be described.  I am not speaking of are not those who did the how to fix it articles.

Rich Orr

Ben Hom wrote:

"Tossed Dick under the bus" seems a bit strong as the models had these deficiencies plus the poor detail parts, both of which were covered at the time in magazine reviews by Tony Thompson and Andy Sperandeo.  Andy's review was comprehensive and provided instruction on how to correct the worst problems.  We complain on this list about softball reviews in the magazines, so if honestly describing how to fix shortcomings is tossing a manufacturer under the bus, it might be time to question why you're on this list.

Yahoo! Groups