Rock Island 50' Auto Box underframe.

Jason Kliewer

Hello group,

Would anyone here know of a resource that would show the underframe for a Rock Island 50' outside braced auto box car like the one at IRM #264070?

I should have taken pictures when I was there but we only had about an hour by the time we got there.

Thanks,

Jason KLiewer

Colorado Springs, CO

Schuyler Larrabee

Do you know or can you find out the builder?  There are resources but all the facts you can provide about who built it and when would go far to helping you out.

Schuyler

Hello group,

Jason Kliewer wrote:

Would anyone here know of a resource that would show the underframe for a Rock Island 50' outside braced auto box car like the one at IRM #264070?

I should have taken pictures when I was there but we only had about an hour by the time we got there.

Ed Hawkins

Jason Kliewer wrote:

Would anyone here know of a resource that would show the underframe for a Rock Island 50' outside braced auto box car like the one at IRM #264070?

I should have taken pictures when I was there but we only had about an hour by the time we got there.

Jason,
I don’t know the answer to your question, but I offer the following that may help. RI 264000-264149 single-sheathed, 50’-6” auto cars were built ca. 4-30 by the Standard Steel Car Co. and later modified by the railroad in 1946 to increase the inside height from 10’ to 10’-6”.

Suggest contacting Ted Anderson (tedander@...) at the Pullman Library part of the Illinois Railway Museum, as they have some SSC drawings from the 1930 time period.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Jason Kliewer

Thank you for the reply Ed.  I was actually just about to contact the Pullman Library on another matter so I'll add this inquiry.

To maybe be more specific, I'm looking at the cars that went to the DCI for tire loading.  The Morning Sun color guide says they probably come from RI series 262450-262799.  I assume these will be similar cars to what you mentioned.  I know some series had end doors and others didn't.

Thanks again,

Jason

Steve and Barb Hile

Hi Jason,

Since this car is on the roster at IRM, I was not surprised to find today, when I checked the file, that we have at least three drawings for these series.  Five Hundred cars were built by Standard Steel Car company in 1930.   262450-252799 had two solid ends and 264000-264149 had doors on the A end, including 264070 at IRM.  We have the following drawings:

55305    General Arrangement drawing, does not show end door configuration (I may have to look for that one, if its needed.)
55307    Brake Arrangement drawing, does show some details for the underframe, too
55308    Side Door Details

Contact pullmanlibrary@... for more details on costs, etc.

Note, this is the prototype modeled by one of the Rocket Express models.  See http://www.rocketexpress.biz/default.html.

Regards,
Steve Hile

Thank you for the reply Ed.  I was actually just about to contact the Pullman Library on another matter so I'll add this inquiry.

To maybe be more specific, I'm looking at the cars that went to the DCI for tire loading.  The Morning Sun color guide says they probably come from RI series 262450-262799.  I assume these will be similar cars to what you mentioned.  I know some series had end doors and others didn't.

Thanks again,

Jason

Jason Kliewer

Thank you for the follow up Steve, I will add those drawing numbers to my inquiry.  I would certainly be interested in the end drawings but I do have the drawings for the 40' car like what Rocket Express did, and I think they would be the same (3-3-3 with a 10' inside height).  I had asked if Rocket Express would consider the 50' car in N scale but he said he didn't think it would even be worth making the patterns based on sales of the 40' car.  Besides, I would need a plywood sided car.

Thanks again, I hope to reach out to the library this weekend.

Jason Kliewer
Colorado Springs, CO