Topics

URTX and MILW, M&StL, SOO, C G W leased reefers: A Pool Arrangement?

al_brown03

I'm fascinated that citrus loads originated on some Northern roads: CGW? SOO? Big Four? What kind of citrus, and originating where?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Ray Breyer

>>I'm fascinated that citrus loads originated on some Northern roads: CGW? SOO? Big Four?
>>What kind of citrus, and originating where?
>>Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

I threw that statistic in to throw people for a loop, as I'm sure that the carloads were generated from large wholesale gathering points and resold (although there is some lemon production in Southern IL).
But anything's possible. There were 35 acres of greenhouses dedicated to winter cucumber production around Cleveland before WWI, so there could have been something similar for fruit.
Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

np328

Here is found some citrus Al, that covers those roads.

However I'll go with Ray's statement about fruit, I am one of the younger guys here and I can recall as a child my parents admonishing us kids things like "eat these strawberries/cantaloupe/watermelon now while they're here". (in season)
No flown in fruit from Chile back then, none that I recall.
Course the inside of a strawberry was red then not white. And actually had flavor.

                                                                                        Jim Dick - St. Paul