Topics

Shorpy pic Omaha railyard 1938

Peter Burr <pburr47@...>

In today's Shorpy pic of a Nebraska rail yard in 1938, I notice many of the box cars pictured have no visible brake wheel. What's with that???
--

Bill Welch

Peter, why not include the link to the photo? You might get more responses to your question.

Bill Welch

http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502?size=_original#caption

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, September 15, 2017 at 5:55 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Shorpy pic Omaha railyard 1938

Peter, why not include the link to the photo? You might get more responses to your question.

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

Is this the image?

http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On September 14, 2017 at 8:00 PM "Peter Burr pburr47@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

In today's Shorpy pic of a Nebraska rail yard in 1938, I notice many of the box cars pictured have no visible brake wheel. What's with that???
--

Robert Heninger

Peter,

The boxcars that don't have a visible hand brake likely have power handbrakes, and don't project over the end of the car. And you're looking at the A ends of the cars.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Marty McGuirk

In addition to Bob's comment - it looks to me like one or two of the cars with visible B ends have lever-type hand brakes.

Marty McGuirk

Manassas, Va.

On September 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM "gn2059@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Peter,

The boxcars that don't have a visible hand brake likely have power handbrakes, and don't project over the end of the car. And you're looking at the A ends of the cars.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Eric Hansmann

I would agree with Marty on the use of lever-type hand brakes.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502?size=_original#caption

There are a couple elements about the image that make it difficult to see staff-mounted handbrake wheels sticking above the car ends. One is visible in the foreground on a Rock Island car. As you scan deeper into the image, the photo angle and the distance work against us to see these details. After zooming in a bit, I’m unable to determine if I see a brake wheel or part of a latitudinal running board on the dreadnaught end car in the near center of the image, just before the steam loco tender. The car just beyond looks like it might have a lever-type hand brake and the details are a bit fuzzier.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

In addition to Bob's comment - it looks to me like one or two of the cars with visible B ends have lever-type hand brakes.

Marty McGuirk

Manassas, Va.

On September 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM "gn2059@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Peter,

The boxcars that don't have a visible hand brake likely have power handbrakes, and don't project over the end of the car. And you're looking at the A ends of the cars.

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

Benjamin Hom

Eric Hansmann wrote:
"I would agree with Marty on the use of lever-type hand brakes.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502?size=_original#caption

There are a couple elements about the image that make it difficult to see staff-mounted handbrake wheels sticking above the car ends. One is visible in the foreground on a Rock Island car. As you scan deeper into the image, the photo angle and the distance work against us to see these details. After zooming in a bit, I’m unable to determine if I see a brake wheel or part of a latitudinal running board on the dreadnaught end car in the near center of the image, just before the steam loco tender. The car just beyond looks like it might have a lever-type hand brake and the details are a bit fuzzier."

A note about photos on Shorpy - keep in mind that it's a blog that links photos from other collections, in this case, the Library of Congress' Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information.  Going to the source collection yields much more than what's posted to the blog.  The LoC has digitized this collection, including high-resolution TIFFs, which are available on their website.

Here's a link to the image at the LoC website where you can download the TIFF:

As Greg Martin says, "Feed your head" - don't wait for someone to spoon-feed information to you.

Ben Hom

Walter

Looks like brakeman is setting the hand brake on the reefer in the lower right.

Bill Welch

Meanwhile no one has mentioned the Viking roof in the foreground.

Bill Welch

Robert Heninger

Bill,

You mean the car with the brakeman riding the side ladder, coupled to RI 79609? My interpretation of that is that the car has a very weathered double board roof, with most of the paint worn off the flat surfaces of the roof sheathing boards and running boards. I think the remaining paint in the grooves of the boards is causing an optical illusion of corrugations.

The NP car to the right is offered as a kit from Yarmouth Model Works.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Bruce Smith

Peter,

I’m not sure I’d say “many”.  As others have noted, the image does not lend itself well to seeing the brake wheels, but I see hand brakes on most cars.  It is important to note that the lack of a vertical shaft hand brake and wheel did not mean the car was equipped with “power hand brakes”.  While some cars (especially in 1938 when the photo was taken) would have had horizontal shaft power hand brakes, others might have had lever style hand brakes or even horizontal shaft direct take-up (not power) hand brakes.

For this photo, what I see, starting on the left, is:
Milwaukee stock car - vertical shaft and wheel, far end

Track in center being worked - Viking roof? no brake, most likely A end of car, RI79609 vertical shaft and wheel, far end, next car  vertical shaft and wheel, near end, next car  vertical shaft and wheel, far end (shaft between the W and A of WABASH), WABASH car, no brake visible, next car (N&W?) vertical shaft and wheel, near end, next car  vertical shaft and wheel, near end, then too grainy to see.

2 tracks to the right - reefer  vertical shaft and wheel, near end, Double door steel car, no visible brake (most likely power hand brake, far end), car by water column, no visible brake? maybe too grainy to see.

Far right - NP double sheathed car,  vertical shaft and wheel, near end.

So, as far as I can see, the brake wheel is not visible on 3 (maybe 4 if you count the car with only one end showing at the bottom of the photo) and two of those cars are newer steel cars, likely to have horizontal shaft brakes and the third is an older car whose brake wheel should be on the far end and may not be visible simply due to photo quality, but could also be a lever style brake.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

Bruce Smith wrote:
"Track in center being worked - Viking roof? no brake, most likely A end of car, RI79609 vertical shaft and wheel, far end, next car vertical shaft and wheel, near end, next car vertical shaft and wheel, far end (shaft between the W and A of WABASH), WABASH car, no brake visible, next car (N&W?) vertical shaft and wheel, near end, next car vertical shaft and wheel, near end, then too grainy to see.

Not a Viking roof. Snow softens the details, but you can clearly make out individual boards and fasteners along the outer edges of the roof. The clincher is there are no latitudinals and the corner handholds are mounted directly to the roof.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Really, Yarmouth? I thought that was a Sunshine kit, and soon to be
the Rapido plastic model.

Tim O'

Bill,

You mean the car with the brakeman riding the side ladder, coupled to RI 79609? My interpretation of that is that the car has a very weathered double board roof, with most of the paint worn off the flat surfaces of the roof sheathing boards and running boards. I think the remaining paint in the grooves of the boards is causing an optical illusion of corrugations.

The NP car to the right is offered as a kit from Yarmouth Model Works.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/SHORPY-8b14203a.jpg

Tim O'Connor

No one has pointed out that the first foreground car, and then the two
after the Rock Island car, have no lateral running boards. How common was
that on box cars, at this date? Or could they be stock cars? Either way,
weren't laterals required by 1938?

  http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502

Tim O'

Bill Welch

No Bob, the car coupled to the RI boxcar w/o a Latitudinal.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

The key consideration was a man was not supposed to have to walk on a steel roof; they can be incredibly slippery when wet of snow covered. If the roof had wood sheathing, however, it wasn't any different than wood latitudinal walks, so the railroads omitted same. Many stockcars still had double board roofs, since stock is not considered damaged if the roof drips on them. There were also still a certain amount of inside metal roofs in service, many on reefers, but emos on boxcars. If you see the corner grab irons mounted directly to the roof sheathing, it has to be one of these two types.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

You guys that see corrugations on every roof ought to remember that the main spotting feature of a Viking roof is the big, Big, BIG seam caps, taller but somewhat narrower than Hutchins. Like Hutchins, they have a prominent bolt in a foot or so from the end; unlike Hutchins the bolts have a bent metal clamp under them. See pix:
The clamps are a bit hard to see on the car that is the subject of this pic, but show well in the foreground on the roof the photographer is standing on. Without these features, it's not a Viking roof.

Dennis Storzek

tyesac@...

Those roofs resemble Mather Stock car construction.

Tom Casey

No one has pointed out that the first foreground car, and then the two
after the Rock Island car, have no lateral running boards. How common was
that on box cars, at this date? Or could they be stock cars? Either way,
weren't laterals required by 1938?

No one has pointed out that the first foreground car, and then the two
after the Rock Island car, have no lateral running boards. How common was
that on box cars, at this date? Or could they be stock cars? Either way,
weren't laterals required by 1938?

  http://www.shorpy.com/node/22502

Tim O'

Robert Heninger

Tim,

Different prototypes. Note the double sheathed end, and the truss rod. The Sunshine and Rapido cars are later prototypes without the truss rods, and the later cars have either Murphy or Dreadnaught ends.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND