PFE R-40-10 reefer ice hatch detail

Tim O'Connor

something I've mever noticed before! what is the twisted "grab" directly
over the ice hatch latch and next to the corner grab? Was this found on very
many PFE reefers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/372085295418

Tim O'Connor

Dick Harley

Tim O'Connor asks:
"something I've [n]ever noticed before! what is the twisted "grab" directly
over the ice hatch latch and next to the corner grab? Was this found on very
many PFE reefers?"

Well, yes, about 4700 of them - all in class R-40-10.

Look at the hatch latch bar, and how it lies on the roof.  That "twisted grab" forces the latch bar to lie in that position toward the running board, instead of falling toward the outside edge of the roof.
Only used on the Holland hatch covers on the R-40-10, as far as I know.

Hope that helps,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

pennsylvania1954

I find it interesting that the worker is standing on the ice hatch plug to get the angle he needs. Obviously, the material is much denser and more durable than I thought.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Dennis Storzek

If I recall correctly, the hatch plugs consist of a wooden form covered with canvas. A roll of canvas tacked to eack edge makes the edges soft and compliant and seals them to the hatch combing. This is similar to the way swinging reefer doors are sealed. The center of the hatch plug is pretty solid.

Dennis Storzek

Dick Harley

Pete Hall asked me off-list:
"Were these 'twisted grabs' on both sides and both ends of the car, or only above the retainer valve?
In the photo, it looks like perhaps the twisted rod was intended to protect the top of the retainer valve from being struck by the hatch lever."

Pete (and all),
They were on every hatch at all four corners.
You can see the edge of one at the bottom right corner of the photo.
They were mirror image of each other on either side.

I'm guessing the intent was to make the hatch lever (latch bar) land close to the running board on the roof in a more convenient and safe place to be picked up when the hatch was to be latched.

Those "twisted grabs" are not included on the InterMountain R-40-10 models - both O and HO scales. Tooling them (both right & left) in plastic before 3D CAD tooling would have been a real challenge.
So get out your 0.008" wire and start bending. Note that the bracket for the hatch lever eye bolt is also held by the roof rivets.
So many details we can model.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach, CA

Peter Hall

Thank you!

Thanks
Pete

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:54 AM, Dick Harley <dick.harley4up@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Adams

Does anyone make the R-40-10 ice hatches as a separate part?

Ken Adams

Bruce Smith

​​Intermountain.