Placards

thecitrusbelt@...

Does anyone know when placards first began appearing on freight cars?

And when did the practice become formalized through a rule or recommended practice?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Guy Wilber

Bob wrote:

"Does anyone know when placards first began appearing on freight cars?"

Are you asking about the placards or placard boards?

The placard boards dimensions (16" x 24") and construction details for use on House Cars with steel ends or all steel construction were adopted as "Recommended Practice" by the MCBA in 1914.

"And when did the practice become formalized through a rule or recommended practice?"

See above.  The first formal requirements I have seen for the use of explosives placards was in 1908 from the Bureau of Explosives.  PRR and other railroads were using placards prior to that year.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

thecitrusbelt@...

Thanks, Guy.

I was asking about the paper rather than the boards their were attached to.

So far, 1907, as you mentioned, is the earliest date I have. That was the year the Bureau of Explosive was formed and it appears it took them around a year to issue their first requirements.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Paul Deis

The earliest regulations I have been able to find are from September 1908 issued by the Interstate Commerce Commission.

The tile of the publication I have is

The American Railway Association RULES and the Interstate Commerce Commission REGULATIONS for the transportation of Explosives.
The American Railway Association Regulations for the Transportation of Inflammable articles and Acids.

Long title :-)

Paul Deis
D&P Mountain Railroad
SP Santa Margarita Sub

Charles Peck

This is only supposition but I would be very surprised if military munitions in both
the American Civil War and the Spanish-America War were not placarded in
some fashion when moved by rail.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Deis Paul curlyp2@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The earliest regulations I have been able to find are from September 1908 issued by the Interstate Commerce Commission.

The tile of the publication I have is

The American Railway Association RULES and the Interstate Commerce Commission REGULATIONS for the transportation of Explosives.
The American Railway Association Regulations for the Transportation of Inflammable articles and Acids.

Long title :-)

Paul Deis
D&P Mountain Railroad
SP Santa Margarita Sub

RICH CHAPIN

Bob, et al.,

Copy of cover from first ICC Regulations; Bureau of Explosives
publication[s] may have preceded but this earliest Federal regulation I know
of. ICC was authorized to use Bureau of Explosive for setting its regs, not
sure which if these early laws did that.

My copy from the U of Minnesota via a google

Rich Chapin

RICH CHAPIN

This is from the General Notice Section of the 1912 regs. It ID's sequence
of the Regs, back to the 1909 law

Rich Chapin