Recommendations on Blasting Media and Gloves

golden1014

Hi All,

I need to do some heavy maintenance on my old North Coast sandblasting booth.  I need new gloves for it.  Can anyone recommend good gloves and an online place to get them?  Also, what blasting media is recommended for plastic and resin models?

Thanks so much,

John

John Golden
Albersbach, DE

https://railroadprototypemodeler.wordpress.com/

Bill Welch

Harbor Freight mail order for the gloves. For only etching the styrene or resin surfaces I use Baking Soda.

Bill Welch

T.J. Stratton

Hello John,

I purchased a 5lb. container of Badger Aluminum Oxide Abrasive from Amazon for under $30. I'm using a Harbor Freight Blasting Cabinet and their air eraser.  I have not had to replace the gloves.

TJ

TJ Stratton Maumee, OH. "Modeling the 1950's branch lines of the Michigan Central Railroad in southern Michigan" Mailto:michigancentralrr@...

From: STMFC@... on behalf of John Golden golden1014@... [STMFC]
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 5:15 AM
To: Yahoogroups; Yahoogroups; resinfreightcars@...
Subject: [STMFC] Recommendations on Blasting Media and Gloves

Hi All,

I need to do some heavy maintenance on my old North Coast sandblasting booth.  I need new gloves for it.  Can anyone recommend good gloves and an online place to get them?  Also, what blasting media is recommended for plastic and resin models?

Thanks so much,

John

John Golden
Albersbach, DE

Tim O'Connor

I by gloves from Harbor Freight. They last about 2 years before the rubber
falls apart.

I use 200 grit aluminum oxide. Very safe to use on anything. Larger grit will
work faster but can cause damage to soft materials.

Thanks so much,

John Golden
Albersbach, DE

Bruce Smith

John,

The gloves have been covered (harbor freight).  I have used both baking soda (bulk bags, Sam's Club) and Aluminum Oxide grit. The baking soda is much safer to use (the AlO2 dust is baaaad to breath... use a mask in addition to the booths).  You can also dispose of it on your lawn if you need to alkalinize it (as I do!).  However, baking soda is far less able to remove things like paint, although it works just fine to prep resin and brass surfaces for paint.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: STMFC@... on behalf of John Golden golden1014@... [STMFC]
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 4:15 AM
To: Yahoogroups; Yahoogroups; resinfreightcars@...
Subject: [STMFC] Recommendations on Blasting Media and Gloves

Hi All,

Thanks so much,

John

John Golden
Albersbach, DE