Location Of Reporting Marks

naptownprr

From: STMFC@... on behalf of Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:41 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Location Of Reporting Marks

The Pennsy and  a few other roads changed the position of the reporting marks on double door cars to make them easier to read when both doors were open.

Jim Hunter

I know that in 1909 the Master Car Builders' issued a standard requiring reporting marks to be located at left end of a car's side. But every once or so I see a photo of a car with the reporting marks on the right end, such as this example:

      It is important to recognize that a "standard" was not necessarily REQUIRED to be followed. It was common for double-door cars to have the reporting marks to the right of the car door; many railroads did that, including SP (with 40-ft. DD cars, anyway).
       There were lots of "standard" lettering arrangements that individual railroads could, and did, violate as they saw fit

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press,! Berkeley, CA
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tony Thompson

thecitrusbelt@...

I know that in 1909 the Master Car Builders' issued a standard requiring reporting marks to be located at left end of a car's side. But every once or so I see a photo of a car with the reporting marks on the right end, such as this example:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2713914

And while this photo was taken in 1977 (admittedly past our group's time frame) I believe the shadow keystone herald was used from about 1954 to the early 1960s, which is within our time frame.

So, was the original Master Car Builders' standard replaced or relaxed at some point?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA