From: John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC]
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2017 12:03 PM
To: STMFC YahooGroup
Subject: [STMFC] Rare birds

What are the odds of a Life photographer capturing one of the Virginian's 15 50' flat cars loaded with military equipment in Louisiana?  I don't think he chose that car for it's rarity, rather the action of the KCS trainman giving the highball in front of the 77th Division sentry.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Jim Pickett

My bet is that the whole scene was just staged for the camera including the "highball"

Jim Pickett

On Sunday, October 1, 2017, 3:28:39 PM EDT, 'Charles Morrill' badlands@... [STMFC] wrote:

I wonder the odds of that sentry still standing like that when the slack runs out.

Charlie

Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2017 12:03 PM

What are the odds of a Life photographer capturing one of the Virginian's 15 50' flat cars loaded with military equipment in Louisiana?  I don't think he chose that car for it's rarity, rather the action of the KCS trainman giving the highball in front of the 77th Division sentry.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Tony Thompson

Jim Pickett wrote:

My bet is that the whole scene was just staged for the camera including the "highball"

    Absolutely. My thought as well.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Charlie Vlk

Probably staged???
Looks to me that the head end (smoker end of the train) is behind the brakeman's back.  Of course, turned around properly, the light would have been "wrong"!!
Hope the fireman was aware of the photo session and didn't pass the highball on to the engineer....there would be soldiers all over the place!
Charlie Vlk

Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2017 12:03 PM

What are the odds of a Life photographer capturing one of the Virginian's 15 50' flat cars loaded with military equipment in Louisiana?  I don't think he chose that car for it's rarity, rather the action of the KCS trainman giving the highball in front of the 77th Division sentry.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Ray Breyer

Staged, but only barely. This is a unit movement exercise made early-ish in the war, and the protocols are a bit different than just a troop or just a vehicle movement.
Review ALL of the photos in that group; the guards are riding in the vehicles while the train is moving. Once the train stops the guards get out and stand to their posts. When the train signals that it's about to move again, they all get back into the vehicles.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL