Topics

Spray bomb painting photos

Bruce Smith

​Folks,

A few months back, we had a conversation about painting and some of y'all indicated that you wouldn't paint with a spray can (aka "bomb").  I have uploaded 3 photos of my latest project, an LCVP loaded on a ACL flat car.  These will be available as soon as the moderators approve them.  The car was painted with a can of Model Master Acryl flat black.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith wrote:

A few months back, we had a conversation about painting and some of y'all indicated that you wouldn't paint with a spray can (aka "bomb").  I have uploaded 3 photos of my latest project, an LCVP loaded on a ACL flat car.  These will be available as soon as the moderators approve them.  The car was painted with a can of Model Master Acryl flat black.

          I think it's important that we recognize differences in spray cans. The cheap ones, or cheaply-made ones which aren't cheap to buy, such as the Testors products, are quite prone to spitting out a "blort" of paint at just the worst time. Better made spray cans, such as Tamiya, don't do that and have a finer spray cone.
           I have no problem spraying a model with a GOOD spray can, while I wouldn't think of doing so with a crummy one. I have no doubt that Bruce understands this perfectly.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bruce Smith

​And I will add that I have used this particular paint many times with success and really like the way it both sprays and levels out when it goes on.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

[...]

Michael Gross

Agree with Tony and others who say there are both good and bad spray cans—many better than the cans of yore.  Just remember, as with an airbrush, it is recommended practice to always begin your spraying OFF the model before sweeping across the model itself.

Cheers!

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Mark Vinski

Different nozzles are available that may make spray cans more suited to model painting.

http://artprimo.com/catalog/art_primo_caps-101

Mark Vinski