Topics

pics of upgraded ATLAS 70ton hart ballast car?

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

at first I would like to thank everyone who did reply to my GN hopper/ gondola question several weeks ago.

I have two H0 ATLAS 70ton hart ballast cars I want to complete before giving them away for weathering. I have searched and found a lot of postings mentioning their main flaws - the missing center sill and bolsters - but I did not find photos of such work. Maybe the postings are too old and the pics gone? Does anyone have a pic of an upgraded model for me? I don't intend to make the cars 99%ers, just want to add the center sill and bolsters.

Many thanks

Johannes

Benjamin Hom

Johannes Markwart asked:
"I have two HO ATLAS 70ton hart ballast cars I want to complete before giving them away for weathering. I have searched and found a lot of postings mentioning their main flaws - the missing center sill and bolsters - but I did not find photos of such work. Maybe the postings are too old and the pics gone? Does anyone have a pic of an upgraded model for me? I don't intend to make the cars 99%ers, just want to add the center sill and bolsters."

IIRC, Mike Brock detailed these upgrades in Prototype Railroad Modeling Vol 1 from Speedwitch Media.  It's out of print, but another list member might be able to pull it to check before I get home from the office today.

Ben Hom

vapeurchapelon

And now again to the group (sorry Tim for the dounle post):

Tim, Ben, Bill,

MANY thanks for your quick and complete help! Now I have everything I need :-)

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Freitag, 13. Oktober 2017 um 20:49 Uhr
Von: "Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC]"
An: "STMFC@..."
Betreff: Re: [STMFC] pics of upgraded ATLAS 70ton hart ballast car?

Johannes Markwart asked:
"I have two HO ATLAS 70ton hart ballast cars I want to complete before giving them away for weathering. I have searched and found a lot of postings mentioning their main flaws - the missing center sill and bolsters - but I did not find photos of such work. Maybe the postings are too old and the pics gone? Does anyone have a pic of an upgraded model for me? I don't intend to make the cars 99%ers, just want to add the center sill and bolsters."

IIRC, Mike Brock detailed these upgrades in Prototype Railroad Modeling Vol 1 from Speedwitch Media.  It's out of print, but another list member might be able to pull it to check before I get home from the office today.

Ben Hom

James SANDIFER

Check out what Ted York did:

http://www.tedyorkphotography.com/modeling-tips

J. Stephen Sandifer

at first I would like to thank everyone who did reply to my GN hopper/ gondola question several weeks ago.

I have two H0 ATLAS 70ton hart ballast cars I want to complete before giving them away for weathering. I have searched and found a lot of postings mentioning their main flaws - the missing center sill and bolsters - but I did not find photos of such work. Maybe the postings are too old and the pics gone? Does anyone have a pic of an upgraded model for me? I don't intend to make the cars 99%ers, just want to add the center sill and bolsters.

Many thanks

Johannes

Michael Gross

Nice work from Ted York on those ballast cars…

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Walter

When I saw the article about upgrading the subject cars I thought great. I had been looking for my two cars for a couple of years, I knew they were under the layout
somewhere. I finally found them and lo and behold they had bolsters and center sills. Apparently Atlas discovered their mistake or maybe because they were “Q” cars.

Walter Ohrnell

Tim O'Connor

Yes the models were revised.

When I saw the article about upgrading the subject cars I thought great. I had been looking for my two cars for a couple of years, I knew they were under the layout somewhere. I finally found them and lo and behold they had bolsters and center sills. Apparently Atlas discovered their mistake or maybe because they were Q cars. Walter Ohrnell

Mikebrock

Ben Hom writes:

“Johannes Markwart asked:

"I have two HO ATLAS 70ton hart ballast cars I want to complete before giving them away for weathering. I have searched and found a lot of postings mentioning their main flaws - the missing center sill and bolsters - but I did not find photos of such work. Maybe the postings are too old and the pics gone? Does anyone have a pic of an upgraded model for me? I don't intend to make the cars 99%ers, just want to add the center sill and bolsters."

IIRC, Mike Brock detailed these upgrades in Prototype Railroad Modeling Vol 1 from Speedwitch Media.  It's out of print, but another list member might be able to pull it to check before I get home from the office today.

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/prototype-railroad-modeling-volume-one/

That is the source of the article I wrote on modifying the Atlas 70 ton  ballast car [ HK-70-1 ]…”A Tale of Two Hoppers” which also includes the modifications to the Marklin version of the UP H-70-1 70 ton UP 3 bay hopper car. The H-70-1 is an important car also for UP modelers and I was amazed when Marklin produced these rather rare cars [ I’m not sure if Trix “fixed” the problem with these models when and if they produced them ]. NP is the only RR I know with similar cars ].

The problem with the H-70-1 is very different from that with the HK-70-1. The coupler looks like it should be taken to an open window on a clear night and thrown  toward the Andromeda Galaxy from where it no doubt came. Also the area above the coupler is a solid plastic sheet on the model which needs to be replaced by L shaped beams in an “open” space..

When I find photos I’ll send them to any interested parties.

Mike Brock

StephenK

Trix did not fix the problem.   I have a string of 12 cars, mostly Marklin and a few Trix, and they all have solid plates where there should be open air.   I did not change these, but mounted Kadee coupler boxes to the plates and let it go.   I added uncoupling levers and changed the numbers.   After weathering, the train looks good.   I also did this to one NP car since, 1) my LHS had one and 2) NP had these cars.   I also do not know if any other road bought these, but they are correct for UP and NP.   Marklin/Trix has, of course, painted these for NYC, among others, but I am sure these are foobies.

As for the Atlas cars, the early runs had gaps between the coupler boxes and the bolsters, which looked pretty bad.  Later runs had this problem fixed.  If you have the early models, it is still a reasonably easy fix--just cut some styrene to fit.

Steve Kay

Ted Culotta

Actually not out of print. I just needed to get another case from storage and I did. I have more of it than I'll ever need....