Hundman's Virginian box car build

Scott H. Haycock

In the Feb., 2015 issue of Mainline Modeler, Bob Hundman presented an article with photos and drawings of the Virginian class BX-10 box car. In the next four issues, he published articles on scratchbuilding a model of this car, based on his plans.

The original article provided no research information on this series of cars, so I'm wondering if there is more information out there on these cars. I've gone through my library, and looked online, but can find nothing relevant to modeling these cars.

What I have found is that these cars are similar to the Katy SS cars offered in model from by Speedwitch. While the underframe (at least from Hundman's drawing), and the ends are completely different, the sides are a very close match, and the roof appears to be the same Standard Railway Equipment Co. "Standard Pressed Steel" roof.

So, my questions are:

Does anyone have more info on these Virginian cars?

Does anyone know of a source for drawings of this particular roof?

And, has anyone seen the 3 vertical post end on the Virginian cars anywhere else?

TIA,

Scott Haycock
ent

Bill Welch

Scott, the N&W Archives at Virginia Tech has drawings for this car.

This car is nowhere close to the KATY car to my eye. F&C offers the Virginian car as a kit and it is pretty good. I would however suggest ripping the Hutchins roof from an Accurail SS body, and narrow it to fit the F&C flat kit version of the kit. I believe the ends on the Virginian car are unique to it.

Bill Welch

James Brewer

Here is what N&WHS has in their collection:

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:38 AM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Scott, the N&W Archives at Virginia Tech has drawings for this car.

This car is nowhere close to the KATY car to my eye. F&C offers the Virginian car as a kit and it is pretty good. I would however suggest ripping the Hutchins roof from an Accurail SS body, and narrow it to fit the F&C flat kit version of the kit. I believe the ends on the Virginian car are unique to it.

Bill Welch

Benjamin Hom

Scott Haycock asked:
"In the Feb. [2005] issue of Mainline Modeler, Bob Hundman presented an article with photos and drawings of the Virginian class BX-10 box car. In the next four issues, he published articles on scratchbuilding a model of this car, based on his plans.

The original article provided no research information on this series of cars, so I'm wondering if there is more information out there on these cars. I've gone through my library, and looked online, but can find nothing relevant to modeling these cars.

What I have found is that these cars are similar to the Katy SS cars offered in model from by Speedwitch. While the underframe (at least from Hundman's drawing), and the ends are completely different, the sides are a very close match, and the roof appears to be the same Standard Railway Equipment Co. "Standard Pressed Steel" roof."

I agree with Bill - while superficially similar to both Ted's Katy cars and the Accurail SS boxcars, these cars are significantly lower in height (IH 8 ft 6 in or 8 ft 7 in IIRC), making their overall proportions different.  Larry Smith did stand-in models of these cars using Accurail models in the October 2004 issue of Model RailroadING, and they just don't look right, especially the model of an early car with the large letterboard.  The article contains five prototype photos of these cars which may help.

Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

I recall the article and was interested in trying the techniques, but then I looked up the car series in the 1943 ORER and was disappointed with the small quantity of these cars in-service. The October 1926 ORER lists 248.

While we all play favorites, I was disappointed that such a low quantity prototype was chosen for the MM article. Heck, the W&LE built 1000 single-sheathed box cars in their 27000-27999 series that were as interesting as the Virginian cars but more numerous. The modeling challenge would have been (and still is) the vertical corrugated steel ends.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantment

Dennis Storzek

Anybody know the real date of the issue these were published in? As I recall, Mainline modeler was long history by Feb. of 2015.

Most published drawings from the formative years of our hobby were done for one simple reason; a set of prototype drawings became available. Before the recent spate of large drawing collections becoming available through several museum and historical society archives, this wasn't such a common occurrence. I would suspect Hundman got his hands on the drawings when the N&W started transferring their historic drawing collection to the N&WHS.

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <eric@...> wrote :

I recall the article and was interested in trying the techniques, but then I looked up the car series in the 1943 ORER and was disappointed with the small quantity of these cars in-service. The October 1926 ORER lists 248.

While we all play favorites, I was disappointed that such a low quantity prototype was chosen for the MM article. Heck, the W&LE built 1000 single-sheathed box cars in their 27000-27999 series that were as interesting as the Virginian cars but more numerous. The modeling challenge would have been (and still is) the vertical corrugated steel ends.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Don Burn

April through June 2005.

Don Burn

---In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <eric@...> wrote :

I recall the article and was interested in trying the techniques, but then I looked up the car series in the 1943 ORER and was disappointed with the small quantity of these cars in-service. The October 1926 ORER lists 248.

While we all play favorites, I was disappointed that such a low quantity prototype was chosen for the MM article. Heck, the W&LE built 1000 single-sheathed box cars in their 27000-27999 series that were as interesting as the Virginian cars but more numerous. The modeling challenge would have been (and still is) the vertical corrugated steel ends.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Eric Hansmann

I think the first installment was in the Feb-March 2005 issue

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Don Burn" <burn@windrvr.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Scott H. Haycock

My Mistake- The articles start in the Feb. 2005 issue, and run through the June 2005 issue.

Scott Haycock

Eric Hansmann wrote:
"I recall the article and was interested in trying the techniques, but then I looked up the car series in the 1943 ORER and was disappointed with the small quantity of these cars in-service. The
October 1926 ORER lists 248.

While we all play favorites, I was disappointed that such a low quantity prototype was chosen for the MM article. Heck, the W&LE built 1000 single-sheathed box cars in their 27000-27999 series that were as interesting as the Virginian cars but more numerous. The modeling challenge would have been (and still is) the vertical corrugated steel ends."

Unfortunately, this is a case of "it's getting published because the Editor thinks it's cool," and something that Hundman shouldn't be singled out for as it happens in every enthusiast publication.

Ben Hom

Bill Welch

I missed this issue of MR'ing and it is interesting to see the photos. The two inservice photos I purchased of #61513 from "Bob's" do not show any kind of letter board but rather the large "VIRGINIAN" stenciling was applied directly to the sheathing. The photos show a mixture of Andrews trucks also, one matching the Kadee and the other looks like USRA.

There is an album of photos titled "Virginian Bx10 Boxcar" in the photos section of the ResinFreightCar Yahoo group showing the model I built using my scratch built side pattern, an Accurail roof and F&C ends and underframe.

Bill Welch

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

As I recall, Bob Handyman had a close history with Virginia, notably Abingdon. I recall once when he gave me a very, very detailed al fresco run down on restaurants and other amenities in that old southwestern VA community, enough to always think of him when we visit or pass through there. Scratch a N&W fan, and most will bleed Virginian- one of the most attractive, interesting, and exciting of all railroads. .

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

David

The outside-braced plate ends are uncommon, but not unique to these cars. LV and B&O had similar ends on double-sheathed cars built in the Teens, and it was the "standard" end for the USRA steel-sheathed box.

David Thompson