Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. November 2017 um 22:32 Uhr
Von: "fgexbill@... [STMFC]"
An: STMFC@...
Betreff: [STMFC] Very Small Chain

A new modeling friend in Germany helped me acquire some very small chain, 50 links per inch. Here you can compare it to Abe's head. Now I need to figure out how to attach it as .012 wire is too large to slip through a link. maybe .010 or .008 wire. Here is a link to a photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecmp2nm17wvtw9h/Very%20Small%20Chain%20.JPG?dl=0

Bill Welch

mwbauers

I think you folks would also like a single strand of the stranded copper wire you find in an ordinary electrical extension cord.

That copper wire is about the same size and a single about to be thrown out old electrical cord is a lifetime supply of such fine wire.

So give it a thought before you throw out the next worn out extension cord.

Or the next time you see one for sale for a buck or two, buy it.

Mike Bauers

On Nov 12, 2017, at 4:24 PM, "j.markwart@gmx.net [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

the smallest wire (for hobby purposes) I know of is the Detail Associates #2501. It is just .006" brass.

Dave Parker

Bill:

When I need fine, soft wire to make a loop (or other things), I use UTC Ultra Wire.  It's a fly fishing (tying) product, and pretty cheap.  Sizes:  XS = 0.0045", S = 0.0065", BR (=brassie) = 0.0083", M = 0.0135".  Sizes are approximate, as it seems to vary a bit from spool to spool

It comes in some colors (e.g., black, brown) that can be convenient.  It's available at a lot of fishing outlets.  A quick glance suggests J. Stockard has one of the better selections.

Best,

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:24 PM, "j.markwart@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Hello Bill,

the smallest wire (for hobby purposes) I know of is the Detail Associates #2501. It is just .006" brass. I am using this for bell and whistle ropes and several other appliances. It is soft enough for very sharp bendings. Sometimes they show up at ebay.

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. November 2017 um 22:32 Uhr
Von: "fgexbill@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
An: STMFC@...

A new modeling friend in Germany helped me acquire some very small chain, 50 links per inch. Here you can compare it to Abe's head. Now I need to figure out how to attach it as .012 wire is too large to slip through a link. maybe .010 or .008 wire. Here is a link to a photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecmp2nm17wvtw9h/Very%20Small%20Chain%20.JPG?dl=0

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Everyone, initially I am going to experiment w/0.010 wire and go to 0.008 if necessary. For the brake lever attachment I like to use a very short section of wire attached thru the lever that works like a little hook. I use CA to hold the chain to the hook. The trick will be how to attach this very small chain to the rod, where I prefer to use .012 wire. Same problem with brake gear on "B" end. I will take photos to share when I get around to it.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <fgexbill@...> wrote :

Everyone, initially I am going to experiment w/0.010 wire and go to 0.008 if necessary. For the brake lever attachment I like to use a very short section of wire attached thru the lever that works like a little hook. I use CA to hold the chain to the hook. The trick will be how to attach this very small chain to the rod, where I prefer to use .012 wire. Same problem with brake gear on "B" end. I will take photos to share when I get around to it.

Bill Welch
=================

Seems to me, Bill, that if an eye formed on the end of the rod won't slip through the end link if the chain, the link could be soldered to the flat end of the rod, and look just like a forged eye. Is the chain brass?

Dennis Storzek

Michael Gross

Mike, I do the very same thing when affixing fine chain to the brake cylinder:  employing thin copper wire from a common electrical cord for my “mechanical” joint and, when the brake chain is hanging properly, hit the joint with a bit of ACC or epoxy to make it secure.

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Jack Burgess

Speaking about the chains which are attached to the cylinder level/air brake cylinder, our own Gene Green has a comprehensive article in our archives which covers this subject and many more include the minimum radius and size for the brake pipe, etc.

For example, are you modeling a car with:

Air brakes applied and hand brakes applied – No slack in the chain

Air brakes applied and hand brakes released – Slack in the chain

Air brakes released and hand brakes applied - No slack in the chain

Air brakes released and hand brakes released -  Slack in the chain

Go to our Yahoo website and click on Files and search for “Freight Car UnderbodyDetail.pdf” to find and download his article.

Jack Burgess

Nelson Moyer

Another option is to use 26 AWG magnet wire, used for winding toroid inductors. As ham radio operator, I keep a supply acquired at Radio Shack.

Nelson Moyer

---In STMFC@..., <npmoyer@...> wrote :

Another option is to use 26 AWG magnet wire, used for winding toroid inductors. As ham radio operator, I keep a supply acquired at Radio Shack.

Nelson Moyer

=============================

26? 26 AWG is huge, larger than the oversize wire most people use for grab irons. According to this chart: http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/wire-gauge-chart.htm#chart Bill needs something like 34 or 35 AWG. I also should point out that magnet wire is varnish coated, for insulation between the windings, so is hard to solder.

If Bill has a calipers, he should just measure the thickness of the last link, where he can get it flat between the jaws of the caliper. That will give him the diameter of the wire the chain is made from; stands to reason that wire of that diameter will fir through the link, 'cause that's how chain is made.

As to slack vs. taunt chain in a model brake system, slack chains are plausible on a car standing in the yard or on a spur, since hand brakes aren't always tied down, but taunt chains look out of place in a train unless you model the ring of fire around the wheel that most often accompanies sticking brakes.

Dennis Storzek

Bill Welch

I alway model the chain "slack."

Bill Welch

Mark Vinski

    Most small chain has circular links. The chain can be made to appear smaller by squeezing the links to an oval shape.

Mark Vinski