B&O M-15 underframe

Earl Tuson

Hello,

Can anyone direct me to a source of a drawing of a B&O M-15 underframe? If not a complete drawing, can
anyone share some of the important dimensions and further information regarding the layout of the
brakes? I have the truck centers at 32' 2 3/4" (from the M-15k class diagram published in RPC #9,) but:
what is the depth of the center sill; what dimensions are the side sills (they appear to be a pressed steel Z?
About 10" in depth?,) and end sills (from photos, I'm estimating them to be a 12" rolled channel, offset 2"
upwards from the bottom of the side sills.) The crossbearers are set rather more widely than the door
posts, with the KC brake gear sitting between them with room to spare, although a brake lever bracket
mounted under the side sill suggests an atypical rigging. Rivets on the side sills also indicate three
crossties in all. Any help provided is much appreciated. Thank you,

Earl Tuson

rwitt_2000

Earl,

Contact Ted Anderson at the Pullman Library at the IRM. He has drawings for the M-15s built by the Standard Steel Car Company.  I have not done a detailed comparison, but I suspect that the underframes for the M-15 are essentially identical especially for what you need.

Bob Witt

Nelson Moyer

Earl, there is a comprehensive article on the M-15k rebuild by George Toman in Prototype Railroad Modeling Volume 4 p.53-68, with both prototype and modeling photos including the underbody details. The book is available from Speedwitch Media. While the article doesn’t answer all of your questions, it shows you how to build a very accurate model of the M-15k.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

lytlemp

Earl.

The B&O Modeler also had a nice article on an M-15k rebuild.  Please utilize the following link to access the ezine:  https://www.borhs.org/modelermag/modeler-44-201706.pdf

The article is titled:

MODELING B&O’S M-15K BOXCAR IN HO,

BUILDING THE CHICAGOLAND RPMMINI-KIT

BY BOB CHAPMAN

The article begins on page 21.

Mike

ROGER HINMAN

Earl, Standard Steel Drawing 38048 is the partial under frame drawing and is available at the IRM library.

You are correct with the truck enter dimensions; the center sill is 28',the side sill is a 9" pressed Z shaped; end sill is a 10" 15# C channel offset 1 3/4" above the side sill; there are three cross ties and two cross bearers. Spacing between cross members is 64" plus a fraction, and a  shorter length between the last cross tie and the bolster.

The brake rigging is Very atypical; there'a a brake badge published in the  PRMV4, and there are steel detail drawings of brake dead lever mounting parts at Harrisburg ; I was unable to find a complete brake arrgt, although I believe the IRM should have it.

Roger Hinman

[...]

Michael Gross

Thank you, Mike.  It’s a nice article.  With this and the George Toman article, what can possibly go wrong?!?  :0)

Michael Gross
Pasadena CA

Bob Chapman

Mike --

Thanks for pointing out the B&O Modeler article, but for the very serious M-15k (or M-15) modeler, I'd encourage them to check out George Toman's article in PRM #4. George's model is museum quality. The Modeler article was aimed at de-mystifying the MiniKit construction for those who wanted an acceptable "layout model" with a typical resin-kit time commitment. Two different goals, two different endpoints.

Regards,

Bob Chapman

Mike writes:

The B&O Modeler also had a nice article on an M-15k rebuild. Please utilize the following link to access the ezine: https://www.borhs.org/modelermag/modeler-44-201706.pdf https://www.borhs.org/modelermag/modeler-44-201706.pdf

The article is titled:
MODELING B&O’S M-15K BOXCAR IN HO, BUILDING THE CHICAGOLAND RPMMINI-KIT
BY BOB CHAPMAN

lytlemp

Bob,

I agree with your opinion, it's just that the PRM #4 is not available at this moment.  I believe that if you visit the SpeedWitch site you'll find that it is in the process of being reprinted and therefore if this request is time sensitive I thought that I would offer an another venue.

Mike