UP Boxcar Paint and Lettering

Andy Carlson

Hello-

For those who value fine scale rivets over applied rivet decals, I have the following 10 Marklin UP box cars. These will need at a minimum replacement roofs, as mentioned earlier the Marklin roofs are wrong.The various paint schemes are well executed. These cars could also have their paint removed and be detailed and painted for the SP. Again, how much work does one engage in to avoid riveting with decals?

I have a factory multi-pack of boxed 10 pack set of Marklin USA Union Pacific 1937 AAR 40' box cars. Accurately replicates the unique vertical rivet pattern in the middle of each panel. Tony Thompson calls this the "ACR" rivet style. Stands for "Alternating center rivets". These cars have 10 numbers and various slogans. See the list for the 10:

6 cars with "Be Specific/Ship Union Pacific":
3 with large UNION PACFIC on the left car side, UP reporting marks
2 with small union pacific on the left car side, U.P. reporting marks
1 with small union pacific with 3 painted straight lines. ORW&N reporting marks

2 cars with "Road of the Streamliners":
1 with small union pacific with 3 painted straight lines. U.P. reporting marks
1 with small union pacific with 3 painted straight lines. O.W.R.&N. reporting marks

2 cars "Serves All The West":
1 small union pacific with 3 painted straight lines. U.P. reporting marks, with periods
1 small union pacific with 3 lines. O.W.R.&N. with periods

Reweigh dates from 7-49 to 1957. These cars have magnetic knuckle Kadee clone couplers which are truck mounted. Trucks have what appears to be RP25 metal wheels.

Mint new condition. The Marklin container box shows light shelf wear.Offered for $14 each, plus $4 and up postage. Would like to sell the complete 10-pack, but doubt that anyone wants all ten, so I will break the set and offer them individually. individually.

If interested, contact me off-list
I accept checks and money orders.With a small fee, I also accept PayPal.
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tim O'Connor

The SP owned no single door 10'6" IH 40 foot box cars. Or are your
cars double door models? If I recall the Marklin is a UP A-50-16 which
isn't quite right for SP A-50-13 modeling but I suppose it could be a
stand-in.

Tim O'

For those who value fine scale rivets over applied rivet decals, I have the following 10 Marklin UP box cars. These will need at a minimum replacement roofs, as mentioned earlier the Marklin roofs are wrong.The various paint schemes are well executed. These cars could also have their paint removed and be detailed and painted for the SP. Again, how much work does one engage in to avoid riveting with decals?

Andy Carlson

Tim, the Marklin cars are of '37 AAR car height of 10'0".
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

The SP owned no single door 10'6" IH 40 foot box cars. Or are your
cars double door models? If I recall the Marklin is a UP A-50-16 which
isn't quite right for SP A-50-13 modeling but I suppose it could be a
stand-in.

Tim O'

>For those who value fine scale rivets over applied rivet decals, I have the following 10 Marklin UP box cars. These will need at a minimum replacement roofs, as mentioned earlier the Marklin roofs are wrong.The various paint schemes are well executed. These cars could also have their paint removed and be detailed and painted for the SP. Again, how much work does one engage in to avoid riveting with decals?

Tim O'Connor

Ah! But then, why use a Marklin/Trix model (with ACR sides) for anything
but a UP car? IMWX (Red Caboose) makes 1937 AAR models for the SP with both
types of ends (S-corner and W-corner).

Tim, the Marklin cars are of '37 AAR car height of 10'0".
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

The SP owned no single door 10'6" IH 40 foot box cars. Or are your
cars double door models? If I recall the Marklin is a UP A-50-16 which
isn't quite right for SP A-50-13 modeling but I suppose it could be a
stand-in.

Tim O'

>For those who value fine scale rivets over applied rivet decals, I have the following 10 Marklin UP box cars. These will need at a minimum replacement roofs, as mentioned earlier the Marklin roofs are wrong.The various paint schemes are well executed. These cars could also have their paint removed and be detailed and painted for the SP. Again, how much work does one engage in to avoid riveting with decals?

Dick Harley

While I won't debate Tony Thompson's words regarding the law, UP has continued to put the Overland Banner Medallion on a very few boxcars every few years up until at least a decade ago.  I don't keep track of contemporary railroading very well.

I would also remind readers of this list that my clinic from seven years ago about UP Freight Car Painting & Lettering is on my SmugMug site at:

While I do not mention the Overland Banner trademark protection medallions in that clinic because they are so rare, there is plenty of info about common UP painting and lettering practices that may be of interest to all readers of this group.

I plan to give an updated version of that clinic at RPM Chicagoland 2018.

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Tony Thompson

As Tim O'Connor observed, we know from their contest with MRH how solid is UP's grasp of trademark law.
Tony Thompson

On Nov 22, 2017, at 8:29 PM, Dick Harley dick.harley4up@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

While I won't debate Tony Thompson's words regarding the law, UP has continued to put the Overland Banner Medallion on a very few boxcars every few years up until at least a decade ago.  I don't keep track of contemporary railroading very well.

I would also remind readers of this list that my clinic from seven years ago about UP Freight Car Painting & Lettering is on my SmugMug site at:

While I do not mention the Overland Banner trademark protection medallions in that clinic because they are so rare, there is plenty of info about common UP painting and lettering practices that may be of interest to all readers of this group.

I plan to give an updated version of that clinic at RPM Chicagoland 2018.

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Bryian Sones

For those of you planning to use the U.P Marklin/Trix Boxcars that represent the B-24 and B-50-27 classes for the U.P.  and might be unaware, the car body matches the prototype all but the roof and the floor. Pay close attention to the Slogan placement on these cars and the gothic lettered cars. There are several Marklin/Trix cars that have the slogans on the wrong side and the Gothic "O" may be incorrect. I'm not sure if Marklin ever corrected this in later runs but I know I had to re-decal some of my cars several years ago.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA.