Soo Line double door—Even Car Numbers Only

Bill Welch

Tagging onto Lester's question and showing my ignorance: Why did some RR's number their cars w/even numbers only?

Bill Welch

Paul Doggett <paul.doggett2472@...>

Probably to make it look they had more cars than they actually had.

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <fgexbill@...> wrote :

Tagging onto Lester's question and showing my ignorance: Why did some RR's number their cars w/even numbers only?

Bill Welch
=====================

It was an old system... C&NW did also. In the case of the Soo, boxcars had even numbers, open top cars had odd. It has been suggested that it cut down on clerical errors; the Soo was running two distinct businesses, at least in the Twin Ports area, iron ore and grain, both headed to the lake, and if an even number showed up on a list of the ore yard, something was definitely wrong. The Soo ended the practice sometime after WWII, with subsequent car orders using all numbers.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

I agree with Dennis, it's a very old system. Central Pacific did this in the 19th century.
Tony Thompson

On Nov 22, 2017, at 11:19 AM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Tagging onto Lester's question and showing my ignorance: Why did some RR's number their cars w/even numbers only?

Bill Welch

It was an old system... C&NW did also. In the case of the Soo, boxcars had even numbers, open top cars had odd. It has been suggested that it cut down on clerical errors; the Soo was running two distinct businesses, at least in the Twin Ports area, iron ore and grain, both headed to the lake, and if an even number showed up on a list of the ore yard, something was definitely wrong. The Soo ended the practice sometime after WWII, with subsequent car orders using all numbers.

Dennis Storzek

spsalso

GN did the even/odd thing with their 4 unit FT's.  Even numbers had couplers between their B units, odd numbers were fully drawbarred.  And about 10 feet shorter, overall.

Ed

Edward Sutorik