Western Road Reefers In Canada

thecitrusbelt@...

A question from Drew Bunn...

Just wondering if anyone could tell me which of the western roads' reefers I might find on a Canadian National train in the 1950s. Santa Fe? WP? GN? Was CN part of the PFE/WFE/FGE pools? All I seem to find is information on the CN reefer fleet.

My interest is in Ontario and the Atlantic provinces.

++++

Thanks

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Bob, Drew,

I believe that CN was independent and not part of the US pools.

You MIGHT find any of the reefers listed. The question might be better phrased which would be most likely?

That leads to the need for greater specificity. What cargos were being shipped?  What is the season being discussed? I could rationalize pretty much any of the reefers listed based on specific cargos being shipped from the US.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Just wondering if anyone could tell me which of the western roads' reefers I might find on a Canadian National train in the 1950s. Santa Fe? WP? GN? Was CN part of the PFE/WFE/FGE pools? All I seem to find is information on the CN reefer fleet.

My interest is in Ontario and the Atlantic provinces.

++++

Thanks

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Robert kirkham

Its not my area, but I think the answer is all of those reporting marks would be found in Ontario and Quebec.   Atlantic Canada would depend on the part.  Obviously New Brunswick had a lot of US origin or bound traffic running through.  Cape Breton – not so much.

There are several videos of trains in southern Ontario in the 1950s.  If modelling that area, it’s a pretty enjoyable way to answer the question.  AN of course there are many photo books and collections, including the excellent Ian Wilson series “steam over Palmerston” and a host of others by the same author (He uses Canadian Branchlines as his web page).

I think

Just wondering if anyone could tell me which of the western roads' reefers I might find on a Canadian National train in the 1950s. Santa Fe? WP? GN? Was CN part of the PFE/WFE/FGE pools? All I seem to find is information on the CN reefer fleet.

My interest is in Ontario and the Atlantic provinces.

++++

Thanks

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

SUVCWORR@...

In addition to what Bruce said, you need to know the time frame and what Canada was permitting to be imported from the US.  Were the crops quarantined?  Canada did quarantine many US crops.  If they were quarantined, then the crops would be offloaded at the point of entry and held for the required period.  The loaded into CN and CP reefers.

Rich Orr

[...]

cptracks

PFE and WFE for sure. Trackside Around Ontario, 1955-1960 by Don McCartney has both on CN trains in Toronto. There may be others but I cannot make them out. The PFE cars appear yellow, double herald, the WFE appears to be yellow, wooden.

Colin Riley

Just wondering if anyone could tell me which of the western roads' reefers I might find on a Canadian National train in the 1950s. Santa Fe? WP? GN? Was CN part of the PFE/WFE/FGE pools? All I seem to find is information on the CN reefer fleet.

My interest is in Ontario and the Atlantic provinces.
++++
Thanks

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

tyesac@...

Drew,

Definitely SFRD!  GTW's Elston yard had direct connection to the south end of Santa Fe's Corwith yard.   I grew up next to the GTW main just south of there and blocks of SFRD reefers were common on GTW freight trains in the 1960's.   I've got to believe that many of those cars continued on to Canada.

Tom Casey

Just wondering if anyone could tell me which of the western roads' reefers I might find on a Canadian National train in the 1950s. Santa Fe? WP? GN? Was CN part of the PFE/WFE/FGE pools? All I seem to find is information on the CN reefer fleet.

My interest is in Ontario and the Atlantic provinces.
++++
Thanks

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

Not directly a response to this question Bob but the Perishable Schedules I have for the L&N, Southern, ACL and SAL have both Montreal and Toronto on their schedules. these RR's were all owners of and contracted with Fruit Growers Express for refrigerator cars and protective service.

Bill Welch