Topics

Dump cars

Richard Townsend

Does anyone make a decent standard gauge dump car suitable for our era, or more specifically my era (1958)? As I recall the Walthers dump cars are too modern.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Bob Weston

Hi Richard,
  W&R Enterprises made two types in brass that were available years ago, one was a Clark Car Co. 30 cu yd side dump ( I'm using it for B&O) and one was a Magor side dump (I'm using this one for AC&Y). The Car Works Co. also produced an all wood and all steel version of the Western 20 yd air dump in brass. Its been a long time since I've seen any of these cars offered on the secondary market. A zamac side dump was made in the 50's or 60's but the manufacturer escapes me and it was pretty crude by today's standards. It would be nice if one of the resin manufacturers would offer some of these cars.
Bob Weston

Bob Weston

Richard,
  I was looking through my 1942 Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia and found a section on side dump cars. Magor and Differential Steel Car Co. made side dumps similar in appearance to the Walthers Car. Maybe you can use the Walthers car as a stand in for your date of 1958. I don't know what exactly makes the "more modern car" substantially different from the 1942 cars. Maybe others can chime in on that.
Bob Weston

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <oandle@...> wrote :

Richard,
  I was looking through my 1942 Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia and found a section on side dump cars. Magor and Differential Steel Car Co. made side dumps similar in appearance to the Walthers Car. Maybe you can use the Walthers car as a stand in for your date of 1958. I don't know what exactly makes the "more modern car" substantially different from the 1942 cars. Maybe others can chime in on that.
Bob Weston

The Walthers cars are a welded prototype, and larger than most the old riveted cars.

Dennis Storzek

Eric Hansmann

Bob,

Model Engineering Works used to produce a dump car. Here’s a photo.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Nov 26, 2017, at 6:27 AM, oandle@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,
  W&R Enterprises made two types in brass that were available years ago, one was a Clark Car Co. 30 cu yd side dump ( I'm using it for B&O) and one was a Magor side dump (I'm using this one for AC&Y). The Car Works Co. also produced an all wood and all steel version of the Western 20 yd air dump in brass. Its been a long time since I've seen any of these cars offered on the secondary market. A zamac side dump was made in the 50's or 60's but the manufacturer escapes me and it was pretty crude by today's standards. It would be nice if one of the resin manufacturers would offer some of these cars.
Bob Weston

Bruce Smith

[...]

Robert kirkham

I’m not clear whether this gon is a “dump” car or different so this may be off topic, but there is a CN based Hart convertible car on Shapeways as well in HO and S scale.:

HO version:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/M7MSJ3VNC/ho-scale-cnr-hart-convertible-gondola?optionId=56461872&li=marketplace

S version:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ECG32GVQ8/s-scale-cnr-hart-convertible-gondola?optionId=56485863&li=marketplace