Topics

Dump cars

Richard Townsend

Does anyone make a decent standard gauge dump car suitable for our era, or more specifically my era (1958)? As I recall the Walthers dump cars are too modern.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Bob Weston

Hi Richard,
  W&R Enterprises made two types in brass that were available years ago, one was a Clark Car Co. 30 cu yd side dump ( I'm using it for B&O) and one was a Magor side dump (I'm using this one for AC&Y). The Car Works Co. also produced an all wood and all steel version of the Western 20 yd air dump in brass. Its been a long time since I've seen any of these cars offered on the secondary market. A zamac side dump was made in the 50's or 60's but the manufacturer escapes me and it was pretty crude by today's standards. It would be nice if one of the resin manufacturers would offer some of these cars.
Bob Weston

Bob Weston

Richard,
  I was looking through my 1942 Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia and found a section on side dump cars. Magor and Differential Steel Car Co. made side dumps similar in appearance to the Walthers Car. Maybe you can use the Walthers car as a stand in for your date of 1958. I don't know what exactly makes the "more modern car" substantially different from the 1942 cars. Maybe others can chime in on that.
Bob Weston 

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <oandle@...> wrote :

Richard,
  I was looking through my 1942 Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia and found a section on side dump cars. Magor and Differential Steel Car Co. made side dumps similar in appearance to the Walthers Car. Maybe you can use the Walthers car as a stand in for your date of 1958. I don't know what exactly makes the "more modern car" substantially different from the 1942 cars. Maybe others can chime in on that.
Bob Weston 

The Walthers cars are a welded prototype, and larger than most the old riveted cars.

Dennis Storzek

Eric Hansmann

Bob,

Model Engineering Works used to produce a dump car. Here’s a photo. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Nov 26, 2017, at 6:27 AM, oandle@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,
  W&R Enterprises made two types in brass that were available years ago, one was a Clark Car Co. 30 cu yd side dump ( I'm using it for B&O) and one was a Magor side dump (I'm using this one for AC&Y). The Car Works Co. also produced an all wood and all steel version of the Western 20 yd air dump in brass. Its been a long time since I've seen any of these cars offered on the secondary market. A zamac side dump was made in the 50's or 60's but the manufacturer escapes me and it was pretty crude by today's standards. It would be nice if one of the resin manufacturers would offer some of these cars.
Bob Weston

Bruce Smith

From: STMFC@... on behalf of Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC]
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 10:12 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Dump cars

Bob,

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Hi Richard,
Bob Weston

Robert kirkham

I’m not clear whether this gon is a “dump” car or different so this may be off topic, but there is a CN based Hart convertible car on Shapeways as well in HO and S scale.:

HO version:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/M7MSJ3VNC/ho-scale-cnr-hart-convertible-gondola?optionId=56461872&li=marketplace

S version:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ECG32GVQ8/s-scale-cnr-hart-convertible-gondola?optionId=56485863&li=marketplace

Rob Kirkham

Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 8:37 AM

Shapeways has a CN/WPYP car in S scale.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/MJRH6FNQN/s-scale-1-64-cn-wpyr-air-dump?optionId=41172523&li=marketplace

And in N scale

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HWQTU49WS/difco-side-dump-car-nscale?optionId=63994321&li=marketplace

Not sure of the era on either of these.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

From: STMFC@... <STMFC@...> on behalf of Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...>

Bob,

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Hi Richard,

Bob Weston

spsalso

Overland made an Austin Western 30yd dump car.

And I don't recall the MEW cars as being all THAT crude.  And they DID tip properly.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

mofwcaboose

Rio Grande Models Ltd. makes kits for HO and HOn3 dump cars that are similar in size to the old MEW cars, which, while they could dump, were heavy.

These are models of cars that were state of the art in the first decade of the Twentieth Century but were undersized by the 1920s. In 1958 you could still find a few on short lines.

They were mostly used in railroad construction for hauling dirt dug from cuts to the nearest temporary trestle, where the dirt was unloaded to fill in the trestle to make an embankment. These trains usually were ten or more cars.

They were also seen in ditching trains, usually in pairs, one at each end of a flat car holding an American Ditcher, which was later replaced with a crawler crane. Because of the limited "reach" of the ditcher, they persisted longer in that service then they did for bank-building.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Sun, Nov 26, 2017 3:29 pm
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Dump cars

Overland made an Austin Western 30yd dump car.

And I don't recall the MEW cars as being all THAT crude.  And they DID tip properly.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Mike Auf der Heide

I don't think this model was mentioned in the earlier posts about Shapeways:

This represents a Western Wheeled Scraper 30 yard model from about 1928.  According to Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 26 these were owned by the Monon, RI, D&SL, & Alaska RR with similar 30 yard models owned by WP, Montour and PM.   Shortened, 20 yard models of the same basic design were owned by MP, IC and MILW.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Here's a link to a drawing of the WP version of the Western Wheeled Scraper dump car: https://www.wplives.com/diagrams/mow/1930/11001-11040.php . WP also owned an earlier type similar to to the previously mentioned MEW model: https://www.wplives.com/diagrams/mow/1930/39-41.php .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 11/28/17 9:31 AM, meaufderheide@... [STMFC] wrote:

I don't think this model was mentioned in the earlier posts about Shapeways:

This represents a Western Wheeled Scraper 30 yard model from about 1928.  According to Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 26 these were owned by the Monon, RI, D&SL, & Alaska RR with similar 30 yard models owned by WP, Montour and PM.   Shortened, 20 yard models of the same basic design were owned by MP, IC and MILW.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Randy Hees

The WP cars were purchased used from "6 Companies" who purchased them (a mix of used and new cars) for construction of Hoover Dam. 

There are a couple surviving, one at Portola, the second, at the Niles Canyon Railroad, but was recently donated to the Nevada State Railroad Museum at Boulder City...

Randy Hees
Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City

James SANDIFER

Santa Fe inherited some 26’ 20 cubic yard by Western Wheeled Scraper built in 1910, 1912, and 1913 from the Orient and the CO&W.

They had another group of 100 30’ 20 yard WWS built in 1924 (all had 4 dump cylinders)

Another 100 30 yard built in 1924 by Clark Car Co (the W&R model)

100 35’ 30 cu. yard Magor built in 1928. (Also by W&R in HO brass)

They had no new ones until 1956 with the purchase of 50 35’ 30 cu yd. Magor. , 1958 25 more and 1959 15 more.

I have acquired one of the Clark W&R cars and seek more of that and the 1928 Magor at an affordable price.

Plans and lots of photos of the Magor are readily available and would make a good Shapeways project.

Overland produced a model of a Paccar dump car that I see from time to time in the $125-175 range. It closely resembles the Magor of 1956

The Walthers is a Difco, 50 yard, about 1964-65 best I can tell

Rio Grand Models did a 12 yard Western Wheeled Scraper model.

The Car Works did a brass Western 20 yard car which is possibly like the ones ATSF inherited – no photos are known to exist in ATSF paint.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Bob,

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Hi Richard,

Bob Weston

Larry Buell

On the Santa Fe, we moved a lot of ballast and riprap in addition to dirt.

Larry Buell

James SANDIFER

I have an 8mm movie circa 1958 of a mixed train on the ATSF with an air dump behind the engine. When it came to a particular spot, they uncoupled the rest of the train, pulled up onto an embankment, and dumped the rip-rap. Then they backed onto the train and continued on their way. I also have copies of orders from John Moore collection where air dumps of sand were delivered to stock pens along the Pawhuska branch for bedding the stock cars.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 5:43 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Dump cars

Larry Buell

Jared Harper

I have an official Santa Fe record book that lists cars and their contents in and out of Eskridge and Hessdale on Santa Fe Alma, KS, branch.  The contents of one car I recall was sand for stock bedding.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

---In STMFC@..., <steve.sandifer@...> wrote :

I have an 8mm movie circa 1958 of a mixed train on the ATSF with an air dump behind the engine. When it came to a particular spot, they uncoupled the rest of the train, pulled up onto an embankment, and dumped the rip-rap. Then they backed onto the train and continued on their way. I also have copies of orders from John Moore collection where air dumps of sand were delivered to stock pens along the Pawhuska branch for bedding the stock cars.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 5:43 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Dump cars

Larry Buell