Airbrush Nozzle Reamer

thecitrusbelt@...

Has anyone tried a tool such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Airbrush-Nozzle-Cleaning-Needle/dp/B004KNFP26

or this:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/badger-cleaning-reamers-for-heads-of-model-100,-150-200-airbrush-accessory-50060

Good tool? Bad tool? Precautions?

And, yes, if you are disciplined about cleaning your airbrush as you are painting one probably doesn't need this tool.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

Bob I would approach with caution, with concerns about possible damage. The first item looks to have a flat spot machined into the needle, creating a sharp edge for “scraping” the inside of the airbrush head. The scraping action could impact the smooth finish. Notice the second item is specific to certain Badger models, but not every airbrush Badger offers, specifically those designed for acrylics like the Anthem 155. I think the taper of the needle and the “head” differ from airbrush to airbrush and between manufacturers. For any reamer to work properly without damage, it would have to match the specs, angle and taper, of the airbrush head.

In conversations (some years ago) with Badger reps when they came out with their new airbrushes designed for acrylic paint, they specifically stated the needle and head taper had been redesigned to allow better flow of the heavier bodied acrylic paints. I can see the difference in the needle between my Badger 200 and 155.

Proper cleaning is the best maintenance for any airbrush. Acrylics can be a problem as they dry so quickly. My spray booth is sitting next to a laundry tub in my basement, so I can run hot water though as soon as I finish painting. When away from the booth I keep a bucket of water handy, just stick the brush in the water and spray. A bottle of airbrush cleaner is also handy to keep near by and I’ve learned to use it religiously.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

And, yes, if you are disciplined about cleaning your airbrush as you are painting one probably doesn't need this tool.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

tjcataldo

some tools that can damage your airbrush you go to local harbor freight buy a brush set for cleaning  airbrushes

      tom

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

gary laakso

I have used long cacti needles to clean clogged nozzles and it works very well with nozzles whose insides are wet.  Removing the cacti needle is sometimes not required when I careful with moving the nozzle over the needle.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

some tools that can damage your airbrush you go to local harbor freight buy a brush set for cleaning  airbrushes

      tom

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried a tool such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Airbrush-Nozzle-Cleaning-Needle/dp/B004KNFP26

or this:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/badger-cleaning-reamers-for-heads-of-model-100,-150-200-airbrush-accessory-50060

Good tool? Bad tool? Precautions?

And, yes, if you are disciplined about cleaning your airbrush as you are painting one probably doesn't need this tool.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

--

Thomas  j Cataldo

Bill Welch

I purchased this tool when I bought my Badger 155 Anthem around 1996-97 but have maybe used it once or twice but it has been a long time ago. At some point I realized that metal on metal is not a good formula as metal would likely scratch the interior of my AB. I use Interdental brushes, "Dental Papers," and Q-Tip and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol as I am Acrylics only and Isopropyl is VERY effective at cleaning Acrylics and easy to find and cheap.

Don't use Pipe Cleaners either as their core is metal wire.

Learn how to clean your Airbrush after every use and it will serve you faithfully for years and years.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Those brushes have a metal core, I would steer clear of them.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

I agree with Bill - I think some airbrushes have O rings inside that do
not take kindly to scraping with a metal brush

Those brushes have a metal core, I would steer clear of them.
Bill Welch

Gary McMills

I use Dill's cotton pipe cleaners wetted with lacquer thinner.

I rarely use acrylic paints.

best regards,

Gary McMills-  down the Bayou Louisiana

I agree with Bill - I think some airbrushes have O rings inside that do
not take kindly to scraping with a metal brush

Those brushes have a metal core, I would steer clear of them.
Bill Welch

frograbbit602

Bob I have not used this tool and I would not recommend it. I would guess this reamer could damage the head. In my opinion, you do not need a special tool as this to clean the nozzle. I clean the nozzles on my air brushes with the mini cotton swabs made by Tamiya , item 87106, purchased at Hobby Lobby or Studio 35 Beauty dual-tip applicators in the makeup department at my local drug store dipped in isopropyl alcohol, thinner or mineral spirits. This cleans the inside of the nozzles quickly restoring them to as new. If the nozzle really clogged a .008" wire can be used to get it open with the swabs. And, no matter how well you clean your airbrush after each use with water and alcohol in the case of acrylics, you will still need to clean the nozzle from time to time. Anyway I have to.
Lester Breuer