Chicagoland RPM meet CGW decals

Gary Wildung

Has anybody gotten  their decals for the CGW car we got at the RPM meet this year.

Thanks Gary

skibbs4

Gary-

The last update that I received from Ted was that he started shipping the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I’m not sure that was the case, as many have yet to receive them. I have not had a more recent update from Ted and hope that everything is OK.

Mike Skibbe

On Dec 9, 2017, at 3:58 PM, GARY Wildung garywildu@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Has anybody gotten  their decals for the CGW car we got at the RPM meet this year.

Thanks Gary

Gary Wildung

Thank Mike for the update

The last update that I received from Ted was that he started shipping the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I’m not sure that was the case, as many have yet to receive them. I have not had a more recent update from Ted and hope that everything is OK.

Mike Skibbe

On Dec 9, 2017, at 3:58 PM, GARY Wildung garywildu@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Has anybody gotten  their decals for the CGW car we got at the RPM meet this year.

Thanks Gary

Ted Culotta

These will all be finished this weekend. I’ve been leaning on my son for help as I simply have not had enough time myself to get them all cut, mated with the schematic, labeled, stamped, and mailed. I apologize. I know people are waiting. They did come out well.

Cheers,

Ed Shoben

Has anyone received their decals yet?  I don't know anyone who has.  Have they been mailed?

thanks,

Ed Shoben

skibbs4

Ed-

You’re not alone and I share your frustration. I wish I had information to share from the originally promised source.

I will contact Microscale about a new run so that we can deliver on the decals. I’ll get them done one way or another.

Much apologies,
Mike Skibbe

On Dec 20, 2017, at 8:17 PM, ejshoben@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Has anyone received their decals yet?  I don't know anyone who has.  Have they been mailed?

thanks,

Ed Shoben

Ted Culotta

Here's the deal on the decals. First off, I will gladly take all my lumps on this.

However, I also want to provide a measure of defense or cover since it's no secret that I am the one who is the holdup and overtly or implicitly, I am the one who is being taken to task here. I was approached to print the decals for this year's RPM on Aug. 28. That's less than two months before the event. I said yes. I committed to do it and I own that. No excuses. It's not Mike's fault or anyone on his team.

I looked at the artwork and noticed many things that almost all of you would want were missing (reweigh, repack, brake test, and paint stencils, with the exception one set of NEW stencils for only one of the as-built groups of cars). In addition, the two groups of cars had different stenciling as built, which was not incorporated. Being who I am (and this was my big mistake), I redid all the artwork.

For printing, I don't just send one set of artwork to be printed; I have to group multiple projects to fill the sheet size that the printer uses, so I had t gong these with a few other projects. To get everything done, it was tight and it would have been regardless of whether I had redone the artwork. The decals arrived from the printer the Monday after Naperville. I agreed that I would mail them. That required a lot of envelopes, stamps, poly sleeves for the decals, cardstock to provide a little backbone for the decals in the envelopes as well as a place to print a guide to the decals, plus the time to stuff all of this into envelopes. I was provided with an Excel sheet with all of the relevant mailing information. I had progressively done most of the stuffing (my son helped at the end of the that process).

I have done some mailing labels by doing copy, paste, repeat. I don't know what the issue is, but I cannot get the data to mail merge into a label template, using either Word or Pages. I have tried at least 20 different ways with no success. I am honestly trying.

As a footnote, in time and money, I am now well over a $1,000 into this. I realize that many of you won't care about that. You just want your decals. However, I am doing all of this with no expectation of compensation. I care about the artwork and was trying to get something exactly right and help out with RPMs.

Won't happen again.

You will all get your decals.

P.S. the Shake and Take decals will be there at the event.

My apologies if I have offended anyone. Just trying to give a little perspective.

Sorry that people don't yet have their decals. I'll get it finished over the holidays, with or without a mail merge solution.

Mike and Jeff - sorry for the bandwidth.

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

Tim O'Connor

Ted, if it makes you feel any better, I was

(1) not worried or anxious
(2) very patiently waiting and
(3) very appreciative of your dedication to accuracy!

Clearly we all need to give ourselves more time to get things done right.
And be understanding when things take longer than hoped. So far in my 60
or so years with model trains, everything always takes longer than I wish.

:-)

[...]

Ted-

I'd be happy to do the mail merge.  Assuming you're using Avery labels, can you send me the product number so I can pull a template?

Thanks for the update,
Mike Skibbe

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:51 PM, speedwitchmedia@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Gross

Ted:  I know I am not alone in expressing my thanks and your dedication to accuracy.  With scores of unfinished kits in my stash, I have plenty to do, so one tardy set of decals will not wreck my holiday.

Don’t let it wreck yours.

Merry Christmas wishes!

Michael

Bob Chapman

Ted Culotta writes: Here's the deal on the decals. First off, I will gladly take all my lumps on this. (snip)

Ted --

No lumps, but a personal thanks to you, Mike, Jason, Frank, Ron, and the many others who made the CGW project possible. Free custom kits at a RPM meet are an appreciated extra, involving more donated time and cost than most of us would imagine.

Re the decals, I agree that it's better to have them "right" rather than "fast". I'm sure my model shippers can make do in the meantime with boxcars from MILW, ATSF, or maybe even a B&O M-15k.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Ted Culotta

I am happy to report after more playing around.... problem solved. Avery Design and Print app is so much easier, by orders of magnitude, than any mail merge trickery in Word, Pages, etc. It's free, too. This message does contain Steam Era freight car content... CGW box cars.

You can watch for decals in the coming week.

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

Michael Gross

Well, done, Ted.  Thank you for the hard work and RPM attention to detail!

Merry Christmas!