PRR Boxcar 498713

thecitrusbelt@...

Here is 1987 John Smatlak photo of PRR 498713:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76677346@N04/15905466068/in/album-72157655080811639/

From the steps under the door it appears this car had been in company service. If this car could talk...

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

​Bob,

Um, the YELLOW paint (and compoany service car number) didn't give it away for you??? ;)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Here is 1987 John Smatlak photo of PRR 498713:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76677346@N04/15905466068/in/album-72157655080811639/

From the steps under the door it appears this car had been in company service. If this car could talk...

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

rwitt_2000

Bruce,

Are these former X28 or X29?

Did you or anyone else notice the re-enforcement of the end sill with what looks like a "L" member with triangular brackets just above the draft gear?  I don't recall seeing this modification on other X29s. Were these added after the cut-off of this Group?

Possibly something else for extreme modelers to add.

Bob Witt

Bruce Smith

​Bob,

I found a photo of a revenue service car with this modification circa 1954, so no, these were clearly a steam era modification.  I don't see many photos and all are post WWII.

Regards

Bruce

Did you or anyone else notice the re-enforcement of the end sill with what looks like a "L" member with triangular brackets just above the draft gear?  I don't recall seeing this modification on other X29s. Were these added after the cut-off of this Group?

Possibly something else for extreme modelers to add.

Bob Witt

John C. La Rue, Jr. <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

The PRR number alone is enough to show that the car is in company service, to say nothing of the paint job, or rather, what is left of it. The hodgepodge of cars it is coupled to are all company service cars. At least two camp cars ("modular housing units") are coupled at the far end. This string of cars could easily be permanently parked  in the yard, now, as camp outfits have become obsolete on most American railroads, but are still seen as yard facilities.

All of this, of course, is long past the cut-off date of this site, but the photo shows that you can still find old steam-era cars sitting around other then in museums.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Here is 1987 John Smatlak photo of PRR 498713:

From the steps under the door it appears this car had been in company service. If this car could talk...

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA