Topics

Custom Decals

Scott

With Rail Graphics shut down what are we left with to print custom decals? I am talking just a few sheets like what Rail Graphics did? I need them in white so it rules out me trying to print them at home.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

A&Y Dave in MD

Don’t know why white rules out printing at home. The Ghost White toner for a color laser printer works fine for me at home.

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Jan 10, 2018, at 7:59 PM, repairman87@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

With Rail Graphics shut down what are we left with to print custom decals? I am talking just a few sheets like what Rail Graphics did? I need them in white so it rules out me trying to print them at home.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Don Burn

I haven't tried them but you might look at https://www.modelersdp.com/

Don Burn

-----Original Message-----
From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:59 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Custom Decals

Thanks
Scott McDonald

------------------------------------
Posted by: repairman87@hotmail.com

Yahoo Groups Links

hubert mask

Do you have the art work complete?

I assume you do if you are just needing print

Contact me off list.

Hubert Mask
Mask Island Decals Inc

On Jan 10, 2018, at 7:59 PM, repairman87@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Jeff Shultz <jeff@...>

Check with William Brillinger at http://pdc.ca  

On Jan 10, 2018 16:59, "repairman87@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Walter

FWIW Kadee does custom decals.

Lenny Ohrnell

Curt Fortenberry

I’ve been talking to Highball Graphics.  

Curt Fortenberry 

Bill Welch

Quality control leaves a LOT to be desired w/Microscale custom.

Bill Welch

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bill and List Members,

Bill, that has not been my experience. My business partner and I have ordered custom decals from Microscale which we deliver as part of our Hell Gate Models kits that we sell. On multiple orders over the course of years, we never had any quality problems.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:29 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Custom Decals

Bill Welch

tjcataldo

alps printers still around  circus decals on the web

tom

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 4:59 PM, repairman87@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks
Scott McDonald

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

Andy Miller

My club ordered several hundred sets of custom decals from Microscale and are very pleased with the results. The printing is crisp and the whites are dense. We ordered some other custom decals from Kadee and while the small lettering was crisp, the white was too transparent.

Andy Miller

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:29 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Custom Decals

Bill Welch

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

If you have artwork, try Jim Abbott at www.highballgraphics.com or Don at www.tichytraingroup.com

Or, with or without artwork you can email me at obs.cals@... (see below).

John Hagen

OBS-CALS  your source for Obscure Decals

obs.cals@...

21050 George Hunt Cir., Apt 821

Waukesha, WI 53186

(262) 385-4450

Curt Fortenberry

What is Microscale’s minimum print run?

Curt Fortenberry 

Clark Propst

I bought a some decal sets from Tichy at Trainfest to replace those in F&C kits. I applied one set and found the film to be fine, but the ink (or whatever) is very heavy. Too heavy to snuggle in or around details on a wood side car. A friend just did a steel box car and they looked fine. I have a Tichy PFE reefer to build, bought a set for that. Question is: Should I try them or try to find a set from a different maker?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Bill Welch

That has not been the experience of others Claus.

Bill Welch

Craig Zeni

On Jan 12, 2018, at 12:09 PM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

4.1. Re: Custom Decals
Posted by: "Curt Fortenberry" curtfortenberry@gmail.com arrphoto
Date: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 am ((PST))

What is Microscale’s minimum print run?

Curt Fortenberry
When my friend Brian Banna had sets done, I believe that the minimum run was 250 sets...

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Tim O'Connor

Highly accurate PFE decals are available from Microscale and used to be available
from Champ. Be leery of any other PFE decals, there are lots of bad PFE decal sets
out there, including custom decals in some of the Sunshine kits.

Tim O'Connor

I bought a some decal sets from Tichy at Trainfest to replace those in F&C kits. I applied one set and found the film to be fine, but the ink (or whatever) is very heavy. Too heavy to snuggle in or around details on a wood side car. A friend just did a steel box car and they looked fine. I have a Tichy PFE reefer to build, bought a set for that. Question is: Should I try them or try to find a set from a different maker?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Steve and Barb Hile

Dick Harley worked with Microscale to improve their sets in recent years and has a multitude of information on his web site

https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFEModels

Ted Culotta (Speedwitch Media) has at least 5 sets of PFE decals for specific car series and dates.  I would trust those, too.

Steve Hile

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 12, 2018 12:08 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Custom Decals

Highly accurate PFE decals are available from Microscale and used to be available
from Champ. Be leery of any other PFE decals, there are lots of bad PFE decal sets
out there, including custom decals in some of the Sunshine kits.

Tim O'Connor

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

radiodial868

Tough call.  Wish I knew. I have on my desk right now in front of me decals from Rail Graphics (20 sheets min run) just before he shut down, that same artwork as decals from DPModelers, and a 8.5x11 sheet from Tichy. Plus a set of kit decals for a Sunshine kit and a new Westerfield kit. 
  • The only perfect, all occasion, no excuses, decals are the silk-screened ones from Sunshine & Westerfield. Maybe Andrew can reveal his source.
  • The DP Modelers are very pixilated and rough edged. 
  • The ones from RailGraphics are a little better but still have rough edges. I was surprised at that. (I got 20 of the small 3.5 x5 sheets!)
  • The Tichy ones are very detailed, even for tiny 3" lettering.  But... the white ink is thick.  They are perfect for my sheet of small 3" reweigh dates/stations, I am very happy with those.  A large herald on scribed siding might be an issue. Would make a perfect Burlington shield though!
Maybe the holy grail is someone using the Ghost White cartridge in a laser printer on Papa Tango decal paper.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Dave Parker

My only comments concern the Ghost White laser cartridge (and both MicroMark and Tango Papa paper), which I have been using for a few months now:

1.  The clarity (i.e., legibility and sharpness) is second to none, and extends down to 1-inch lettering in HO scale.  The "ink" is thin as it gets as well.

2.  The trade-off, perhaps, is that the decals are not very opaque, and there is no way that I can see to change that.  For 95% of my applications, I prefer the slight translucency.  It is not unlike the pad printing on the Accurail cars in that it has a certain "pre-faded" look, so that I need to use less overspray to tone down the lettering.  But, if a bright and bold white is what you are after, the Ghost is not the way to go.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA