Topics

NP Boxcar 200453

thecitrusbelt@...

What does the white vertical stripe on this boxcar's door indicate:

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434174

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 1/18/2018 9:00 AM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] wrote:

What does the white vertical stripe on this boxcar's door indicate:

    Don't know but I like how they note the plow to the left but totally neglect the rotary by the TT:-)

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Robert Heninger

That is a patch of some kind, possibly thin metal, or perhaps wood. These types of patches show up all the time on double sheathed NP and GN boxcars in the later 1950s and 1960s. I think they are a simple RIP track expedient during an era when milled car siding might not always be available, especially on roads that might not have any DS boxcars on their rosters.

Some I have seen are thin sheet metal, others are plywood or boards simply nailed to the car side.

I believe the light color is a coincidence, and not in any way an indicator of special service.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Charles Morrill

It looks like the 200453 might be a re-number.  Any idea what the original series might have been?

Charlie

What does the white vertical stripe on this boxcar's door indicate:

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434174

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Monrad

On Jan 18, 2018 1:04 PM, "'Charles Morrill' badlands@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

It looks like the 200453 might be a re-number.  Any idea what the original series might have been?

Charlie

Tim O'Connor

It's an NP company service number - this car is not in revenue service.

I concur the "stripe" is a door repair.

I think this is the same prototype as Rapido's model - 10000 to 13999.

Tim O'Connor

It looks like the 200453 might be a re-number.  Any idea what the original series might have been?
Charlie

np328

 Charlie,
you are right about the renumbering.
      This series of numbers (200xxx) indicate company service at this point.
I would agree with Bob as it being a patch (unpainted wood) and nothing more.
Once in company service, the car has been downgraded to the ranks of the walking dead. Any major repair and it is the end of the line for this car.
     I wish the photo was in color as it would be interesting to see (in color) what looks to be corrosion on the radial roof.
     And of roofs, look down in the foreground at the paint on the Great Northern boxcar roof. The boards on the roof look to be in good shape and unpainted. Note variation on the boards on the roof to the right.
     Also, note the condition of the wooden caboose near the wedge plow. The wedge plow appears to be a former ore car, which is now supporting weeds growing from the ballast load it holds.
     Behind the turntable and lone evergreen, is what I think to be a building that would have held the distillates used in the early part of the last century. The NP (and many other railroads) would mix to home brew specs, the lubricating oils, the lamp light oils, and other oils used in railroad service. Note how high the fire walls are. If you did this on a model it would be sure to bring questions of accuracy forward.

     I am more of a steam era guy and not so good on diesel spotting. The diesel with the dynamic brake blister (if that is the correct term) might provide a date frame to this photo. That and the autos near the rotary plow tender.

     As soon as I get to the archives, I will look up the life of this railroad car in question.
                                                                                                                        Jim Dick    NPRHA archivist.

Douglas Harding

Jim the photo is from the U.S. President's Railroad Commission Photographs collection. The Commission was formed in late 1960 to settle the issue of removing firemen from train crews. It asked for photos to document their workpaces. So most of the photos are from 1960 or just slightly earlier. https://digital.library.cornell.edu/collections/railroad

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

earlyrail

In 1958 the entire 200xxx series was company service,

Howard Garner

Rufus Cone

The car number implies it is assigned to maintenance of way / company service.

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Matt Herson

Charlie,

The original number of 200453 is 13272. According to the NP Equipment Registers copied and put on line by the NPRHA the car was converted to the work number 9-30-60 by order 5228-60 which I’m guessing is the AFE number.

Matt Herson

It looks like the 200453 might be a re-number. Any idea what the original series might have been?

Charlie

What does the white vertical stripe on this boxcar's door indicate:

<https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434174> https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434174

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charles Morrill

Thanks for posting that very interesting photo and the quick answer to my question.

Charlie

The original number of 200453 is 13272. According to the NP Equipment Registers copied and put on line by the NPRHA the car was converted to the work number 9-30-60 by order 5228-60 which I’m guessing is the AFE number.

Matt Herson

It looks like the 200453 might be a re-number. Any idea what the original series might have been?

Charlie

What does the white vertical stripe on this boxcar's door indicate:

<https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434174> https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20434174

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA