Services of the Pullman Library

Schleigh Mike

Over this past weekend, Group----

I received three sets of car builder drawing copies from the Pullman Library at the Illinois Railroad Museum.  I had begun discussing these cars with Ted Anderson on Saturday afternoon late in October while attending the ChicagoLand RPM at Lisle.  Ted recommended the best course of action to follow and I began it a couple of weeks after returning home.  A couple of emails and one phone call later, my desires were identified, quoted, and soon paid for, just ahead of the Christmas season.  I could not be more pleased with what I received and with the superb help I received from Ted and Bob Webber at the Library.  If any of you are possibly considering seeking help there, do not hesitate.  Get on with it; the process was very easy as long as you provide the basic information the Library needs, i. e., car description including railroad and number series when purchased and date and place of construction.  Do not get into the weeds with what you seek, just those facts of the construction.  The Library is a phenomenal resource for research on our prototypes.  If they have it, you will likely be pleased with it.

Since it has not been otherwise noted, I trust that I will be forgiven for the following.  I will take the lead to say that Ted Anderson informed me that he would be retiring at the end of 2017 and, with that, no longer be the chief contact and curator at the Library.  I hope he will not become a stranger there or attending our gatherings such as the RPM meets.  We owe him a debt of gratitude and I suspect I am one of many researchers who have been thrilled with the information Ted has helped find and provide for our dreams and desires.  Thank you Ted!

Mr. Bob Webber has assumed the curator role and Ted as assumed an "emeritus" title.

From Western Penna, at Grove City----Mike Schleigh

Al Kresse <water.kresse@...>

Ted was very helpful to me in obtaining a drawing for a C&O HS project years ago just after they moved in.

Al Kresse

On January 25, 2018 at 9:48 AM "Schleigh Mike mike_schleigh@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

From Western Penna, at Grove City----Mike Schleigh

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <mike_schleigh@...> wrote :
...Get on with it; the process was very easy as long as you provide the basic information the Library needs, i. e., car description including railroad and number series when purchased and date and place of construction.  Do not get into the weeds with what you seek, just those facts of the construction.  The Library is a phenomenal resource for research on our prototypes.  If they have it, you will likely be pleased with it...

====================

I second what Mike has to say. The gold standard for drawing search criteria is the builder's lot number; all drawings are organized by this number. The railroad name, number series, built date, etc. allow  a search of the lot lists to find drawings when the request doesn't have a lot number,  but may miss lots if the name it was filed under is different than expected, or the car numbers weren't yet assigned at the time the drawings were prepared, but the lot number finds all.

An example of "getting off in the weeds" is requesting say, a representative sample of 1937 AAR cars, or USRA cars. The builders' lot lists are not organized to be searched this way. Even if the car was built to an accepted standard, the drawing never mentions that fact, and the lot lists rarely do. Even the standards allowed variation in doors, roofs, ends, and other hardware, and the builders took the view that each order was a unique combination, and therefore a custom job, to use the modern term. If a representative sample really is needed, the best way to proceed is to identify the lot numbers of the cars that would make up that sample, and request information on those lots.

Dennis Storzek

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

In response to my morning's note about the subject, Dennis Storzek mentioned, "The gold standard for drawing search criteria is the builder's lot number; all drawings are organized by this number."

I should have mentioned the lot number, Dennis, but did not think of it as all three of my sought cars did not show lot numbers on any of the records I possessed.  However, Bob and Ted at the Library did not let that stop them.  They found the cars anyway!  But by all means, if you can find the lot number, give it too.

Regards----Mike Schleigh

On Thursday, January 25, 2018, 2:26:11 PM EST, destorzek@... [STMFC] wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :
[...]

Dave Nelson

I had a COMPLETELY different experience.  A number of years ago I had to jump thru hoops to convince Ted Anderson that my project was worthy of their attention and when I said I wanted to see the 1914 drawings in person before buying (as really old stuff is often poorly dimensioned) it was implied rather directly they suspected I want to steal the drawings.  After multiple rounds of explaining to Bob Webber what and why I wanted to see the drawings he agreed it would be fine and sent me a license contract to sign, which I did.  I figured Ted’s reservations seemed to have been set aside so I flew  out to Chicago and dropped them another note asking when would be best to stop by (it was a busy weekend for them and so my question was intended to let them choose the best time) In the reply I was told by Ted that he still had doubts that my project was worthy of their attention and the only reason he  could figure why anyone wanted to see the drawings beforehand was to steal them and that perhaps the right thing to do was for me to start the whole process of convincing them over again but absent that it was a no-go.

I told him in rather un-polite terms he could shove their drawings where the sun doesn’t shine and even tho I am still interested in purchasing drawings for at least a half dozen cars I’ll not do business w/ IRM so long as Ted Anderson had anything to do with the library.

Dave Nelson

[...]

From Western Penna, at Grove City----Mike Schleigh

Alexander Schneider Jr

Dave, I see several reasons why your approach didn’t work.

First, you seem to be confusing a PUBLIC LIBRARY with the Pullman Library. You pay taxes to support your local public library, which they use to employ a staff, fund a building, and acquire books and magazines for the use of the library district’s residents. Most of the materials are “in print”, and many will be in demand for only a limited period. The Pullman Library has no taxpayer support. It is supported by donations and by the fees paid for copies of the drawings and photos in its collections. Its staff is volunteers who wish to see the materials preserved and made available to present and future railfans, car preservation projects, and modelers. The materials in its collection are either donated or on long term loan from the successor companies to Pullman and Budd, and in the latter case are subject to the terms of the loan agreement. If lost they cannot be replaced.

Second, the volunteers at the Pullman Library come in on Wednesday. Some of them also volunteer in other roles at the Illinois Railway Museum on other days of the week. On Wednesdays there are always a number of projects under way, including filling drawing orders from the queue. The process to fill an order includes identifying the needed drawing, determining if it has been scanned, retrieving the tracing and scanning it if that has not been done previously, and burning a disk with the image. There are seldom extra volunteers to escort visitors into the storage areas to browse drawings and determine whether a drawing meets their needs. Unlike your public library, most research libraries do not have open stacks, and the Pullman Library does not have a reading room. Visitors MAY be allowed by appointment, and certainly should not drop in unexpectedly. Naturally, visitors with a “track record” of giving back to the railfan community through writing publications or marketing models seem most worthy of such a diversion of resources.

Third, because much of the collection of the Pullman Library is held on loan from the carbuilding companies, any copies distributed must be for a specific purpose and a license for that use must be signed by the recipient. Model building and car restoration are probably the most common purpose. There have been some requests for drawings to support litigation, and those require clearance from the legal department of the carbuilder.

Fourth, all museums and libraries have to be vigilant against theft. Each has adopted policies to discourage theft, and abiding by such policies is part of the “cost of admission”. People who feel the rules don’t apply to them do arouse suspicion.

Fifth, many of the drawings are not in good condition. Preservation of the information contained argues toward use of scans, not the original tracings, to minimize handling. It is also important to immediately return them to the correct storage location, as a misfiled drawing could be lost for decades.

Most buyers of information for a particular lot of cars start by purchasing a copy of the applicable drawing list, which is part of the specification for the lot. Naturally floor plans or general arrangement drawings are in much more demand than details of individual parts, if you are model building. If you are restoring a car the opposite may be true. In almost all cases an estimate is sent and payment is expected before the work is started. The fees received pay for equipment and supplies used to prepare the drawings and for general operating costs of the library.

I am one of the Wednesday volunteers and I drive 50 miles, paying several tolls, to come help. I also contribute financially as my retirement income allows. Others drive farther and pay more. We have other options for our time and money. But we hope our efforts preserve the information contained in these drawings for the benefit of those who appreciate them.

Alex Schneider

On January 25, 2018 at 9:48 AM "Schleigh Mike mike_schleigh@yahoo.com <mailto:mike_schleigh@yahoo.com> [STMFC]" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com> > wrote:

[...]

From Western Penna, at Grove City----Mike Schleigh

Fred Jansz

Being over the pond and a few miles away, I also have excellent experiences with IRM/Pullman Libary. Very helpfull and understanding people who sent me everything I needed for my WP model projects.
Fred Jansz, The Netherlands

Scott

Does the Pullman Library have AC&F or Pressed Steel Car drawings?

Scott McDonald

Tony Thompson

Fourth, all museums and libraries have to be vigilant against theft. Each has adopted policies to discourage theft, and abiding by such policies is part of the “cost of admission”. People who feel the rules don’t apply to them do arouse suspicion.

 Fifth, many of the drawings are not in good condition. Preservation of the information contained argues toward use of scans, not the original tracings, to minimize handling. It is also important to immediately return them to the correct storage location, as a misfiled drawing could be lost for decades.

    Oh, c'mon, Alex. I have been to lots of archives and libraries with rare materials, and of course there is vigilance against theft, and there should be. But how about a little common sense here? One rare book library I visited allowed you to examine one book at a time. Turn it back, and you get your next request. I have worked in archives that had photo prints in folders, and you had to go through them under the eye of a librarian, and in one place, the number of prints was noted on the outside of the folder. Easy to count.
     I know Ted Anderson a little and he seems a reasonable guy. But in my view, Dave Nelson's experience is out of bounds. II would call it a black mark on the Pullman library. Just my two centavos.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve and Barb Hile

No.  We have Pullman, Standard Steel Car and Budd drawings.

The Museum of Transportation in St. Louis does have a good collection of ACF drawings and the Barriger Library at UMSL has ACF documents and photos, many of which they have shared on Flickr.

I don't know of a source for Pressed Steel Car drawings.

Steve Hile
IRM volunteer

Does the Pullman Library have AC&F or Pressed Steel Car drawings?

Scott McDonald

Eric Hansmann

The Pennsylvania State Archives seems to have some PSC archives.

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/mg/mg393.htm

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Does the Pullman Library have AC&F or Pressed Steel Car drawings?

Scott McDonald

Steve and Barb Hile

Hi Eric,

I see Pullman Standard, but not Pressed Steel Car.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Steve Hile