From: frograbbit602@... [STMFC] To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm
Subject: [STMFC] FGEX R7 reefer

I am working on an Westerfield Models R7 FGEX Refrigerator, kit 11661, to be numbered in the 45645 to 46270 series. A photo of a car in this series appears in Railway Prototype Cyc., Vol. 15, p.75.  My question is on the underframe.   I see stringers on the underframe in some of the photos; however, no mention of them in the instructions.  I am asking if some can direct me to a drawing so I can or provide information to clear up the discrepancy so I can get the underframe correct.  I do have access to the 1919 Car Builders Cyc.; however, I could not find an answer there.

Thank You for for time and effort to help.

Lester Breuer

Bruce Smith

​Lester,

The X23 family of cars, including the R7, did not have stringers.  I base this in an AB brake arrangement diagram for the X23, which clearly shows the center sills, all of the cross-bearers and other associated components of the underframe, but has no evidence in any view of stringers.  The absence of stringers may be due to the very hefty center sill.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <smithbf@...> wrote :

​Lester,

The X23 family of cars, including the R7, did not have stringers.  I base this in an AB brake arrangement diagram for the X23, which clearly shows the center sills, all of the cross-bearers and other associated components of the underframe, but has no evidence in any view of stringers.  The absence of stringers may be due to the very hefty center sill.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Stringers weren't about increasing the load capacity of the car, but rather the point loading the floor could resist. Back in the period just after the first war when these cars were designed, freight (other than bulk freight, like grain) was rolled in on hand trucks and stacked by hand. The point loading wasn't any greater than the overall floor loading, and cars from this era typically did not have stringers.

The general adoption of palatalized freight during WWII changed all that. Now you had the weight of maybe 16 sq.ft. of freight, plus the weight of the machine, all perched on the front two tires of the jeep, and breaking through the floor was a real possibility. Thus from WWII on, floors had first four, then six stringers to help distribute the point loads.

Dennis Storzek