Topics

How Do You Store Your ACC?

thecitrusbelt@...

As most of you know, ACC ("super glue") is very sensitive to moisture. If stored in the open, even with the cap on, enough moisture will be drawn in to activate the ACC and harden it in the container. I've had this happen more than a few times, especially with the larger containers of ACC in gel form.

I've heard of modelers storing ACC in a sealed bag in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator as one way to prevent spoilage. I assume this works.

And I know some modelers just buy the very small tubes and assume they will harden before they can be completely used.

What methods do you use to store and preserve ACC?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

al_brown03

I store ACC in a Mason jar containing desiccant. 

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bill Welch

Have you checked websites like Loctite for storage suggestions Bob?

Bill Welch

Schuyler Larrabee

My ACC is on the bench, no special precautions, and it lasts a long enough time – months – that I’m not distressed if I have to buy some more.

Schuyler

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 8:44 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] How Do You Store Your ACC?

As most of you know, ACC ("super glue") is very sensitive to moisture. If stored in the open, even with the cap on, enough moisture will be drawn in to activate the ACC and harden it in the container. I've had this happen more than a few times, especially with the larger containers of ACC in gel form.

I've heard of modelers storing ACC in a sealed bag in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator as one way to prevent spoilage. I assume this works.

And I know some modelers just buy the very small tubes and assume they will harden before they can be completely used.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Douglas Harding

I’ll second the recommendation for Loctite brand. I’ve had a bottle on the workbench for over a year. It has not turned solid, nor has it clogged. The first bottle of ACC that I can remember not turning solid. It helps to keep humidity under control. In the summer I run a dehumidifier in the basement and central air, but I live in the Midwest where humidity can get well over 90% in the summer, and down to single digits in the winter. Which is why I am amazed at how long the bottle of Loctite ACC has lasted. Used it to repair a loose part on a steam era freight car just two weeks ago, which survived the latest op session with no further issues.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 8:53 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: How Do You Store Your ACC?

Have you checked websites like Loctite for storage suggestions Bob?

Bill Welch

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Most cyanoacrylites will keep for years in the refrigerator. I have some Fletchtight archery adhesive that is over 11 years old and is still liquid. It has been stored in the basement refrigerator. Obviously I don't use this stuff often.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 1/27/18 10:43 PM, 'Doug Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] wrote:

I’ll second the recommendation for Loctite brand. I’ve had a bottle on the workbench for over a year. It has not turned solid, nor has it clogged. The first bottle of ACC that I can remember not turning solid. It helps to keep humidity under control. In the summer I run a dehumidifier in the basement and central air, but I live in the Midwest where humidity can get well over 90% in the summer, and down to single digits in the winter. Which is why I am amazed at how long the bottle of Loctite ACC has lasted. Used it to repair a loose part on a steam era freight car just two weeks ago, which survived the latest op session with no further issues.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Craig Zeni

On Jan 28, 2018, at 6:03 AM, STMFC@... wrote:

4a. How Do You Store Your ACC?
Posted by: thecitrusbelt@... thecitrusbelt
Date: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:44 pm ((PST))

I use the Cypox products and its bottle seems to seal extremely well. What I have I've been for over 18 months and it has not thickened or gone off at all. Not refrigerated or anything special....just sits in a plastic drawer that's translucent but out of direct hard light.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Lee Thwaits

Another vote for Loctite Super Glue!

Lee Thwaits

John Sykes III

Ditto here for Loctite.  I don't have to worry about storage, because I use it up too fast!

-- John

frograbbit602

I use several ACC types: Zap thin (pink label) and gel (green label) which I keep in a large plastic pill bottle with cover. Inside the pill bottle drier packets fill the space around the two Zap bottles. Since I began using this method I have been able to use the entire bottle no matter what length of time to do so. I also use Loctite thin (red label) and thick (blue label) which just set on the work bench with no problem using the entire bottle from start to finish. Just as a side note: I find the Zap seems to set slower as it ages so to have it set as if a new bottle I place five drops of Zap in a water bottle cap and add a two or three drops of Loctite thin. The water bottle cap with this amount of ACC will last several hours on the workbench before setting up.
Lester Breuer

A&Y Dave in MD

I store my bottles inside a large plastic pill bottle (90 day supply with non-childproof cap so it's easy to open). I put 1/2 inch of Drierite in bottom, then in goes the ACC bottle, then cap pill container. I carry that in my toolbox and store it on my workbench with no problems.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

Gary McMills

I keep mine in a ziplock bag on the work bench,works good.

Gary McMills 

----- Original Message -----
STMFC@...

To:

Cc:

Sent:
28 Jan 2018 21:34:52 +0000
Subject:
[STMFC] Re: How Do You Store Your ACC?

Ditto here for Loctite.  I don't have to worry about storage, because I use it up too fast!

-- John

Jack Mullen

I also have used Loctite brand CA for years. I haven't found it necessary to take special precautions, just carefully wipe any drips before recapping. Sometimes I've worked occasionally with one bottle over a span of year or so, when my modeling pace slacked off. The nozzle is the most clog-free I've found, and the cap evidently seals well. I've lived most of my life in the Midwest, so I can't claim an arid environment.

When I've packed for moving, I have tried to put the CA bottles in a sealed jar with dessicant, but that's really more for containment than preservation, I think.

YMMV, but I've had lousy results with the major hobby brands of CA.

Jack Mullen

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Gary,

This sounds like a very good tip. Will give it a try. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 29, 2018, at 5:26 AM, santafe@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I keep mine in a ziplock bag on the work bench,works good.

Gary McMills 

----- Original Message -----

To:
<STMFC@...>
Cc:

Sent:
28 Jan 2018 21:34:52 +0000
Subject:
[STMFC] Re: How Do You Store Your ACC?

-- John

Denny Anspach

Having learned about Loktite (the cone-shaped container with the pin and cam-tight lid) from this list, I will second that it has been for me the most long lasting without special care. Like all ACC in my experience, there does occur an eventual decline in effectiveness, and increase in set up timing.

My experience with Hobby shop ACCs -pointedly the gap-filling slower varieties- seems to parallel others, i.e. they have a too-short shelf life.
In this regard, however, are the gels commonly available at hdwe stores, etc. essentially the same as the thickened gap filling ACCs available in the hobby industry?

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

Dave Pfeiffer

I have tried other brands, but always go back to the small tubes of Duro
brand I get at ACE Hardware. I do nothing more than clean the opening with
an absorbent paper towel, and make sure the cap it tight. The current tube
is kept on the work bench. Any unopened supply is in the drawer.
Depending on what I am working on, tubes may last months. I have never had
a tube harden on me.

Dave Pfeiffer