Topics

Poultry Car

thecitrusbelt@...

I found this photo on the Model Railroad Minutiae blog:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sEJ70W7AjiM/VuxhZMrFSaI/AAAAAAAAJ5k/gMbi09Mo7WsNypDpKzrQA4SYM0qPCLINg/s1600/Scan10001.jpg

The caption reads, "This photo shows an outside metal framed boxcar without the wood panels.  The metal frame on this boxcar was being coated with rust protection.  I am guessing this car was being rebuilt or repaired and the inside wood framing has yet to be installed.  There are various parts laying on the ground around the car."

This looks to me to be a poultry car similar to this one:

https://lionelllc.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/poultrycarppkx5065meierfeld.png

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

It looks similar to this Live Poultry Transit car that appeared among the Barriger Flickr collection recently.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/39274271965/

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I found this photo on the Model Railroad Minutiae blog:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sEJ70W7AjiM/VuxhZMrFSaI/AAAAAAAAJ5k/gMbi09Mo7WsNypDpKzrQA4SYM0qPCLINg/s1600/Scan10001.jpg

The caption reads, "This photo shows an outside metal framed boxcar without the wood panels.  The metal frame on this boxcar was being coated with rust protection.  I am guessing this car was being rebuilt or repaired and the inside wood framing has yet to be installed.  There are various parts laying on the ground around the car."

This looks to me to be a poultry car similar to this one:

https://lionelllc.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/poultrycarppkx5065meierfeld.png

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

The tank under the frame sure doesn’t fit with a boxcar.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

I found this photo on the Model Railroad Minutiae blog:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sEJ70W7AjiM/VuxhZMrFSaI/AAAAAAAAJ5k/gMbi09Mo7WsNypDpKzrQA4SYM0qPCLINg/s1600/Scan10001.jpg

The caption reads, "This photo shows an outside metal framed boxcar without the wood panels. The metal frame on this boxcar was being coated with rust protection. I am guessing this car was being rebuilt or repaired and the inside wood framing has yet to be installed. There are various parts laying on the ground around the car."

This looks to me to be a poultry car similar to this one:

https://lionelllc.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/poultrycarppkx5065meierfeld.png

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Here's a question I've never seen discussed. These cars carried an attendant to feed and water the birds. If several cars were grouped together to same destination, would they have an attendant for each car, or would one man be expected to care for several cars?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/13/18 11:43 AM, 'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC] wrote:
�

[...]

I wonder if droppings were shoveled to an opening for that box/tank on the
underframe.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

I found this photo on the Model Railroad Minutiae blog:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sEJ70W7AjiM/VuxhZMrFSaI/AAAAAAAAJ5k/gMbi09Mo7WsNy
pDpKzrQA4SYM0qPCLINg/s1600/Scan10001.jpg

The caption reads, "This photo shows an outside metal framed boxcar without
the wood panels. The metal frame on this boxcar was being coated with rust
protection. I am guessing this car was being rebuilt or repaired and the
inside wood framing has yet to be installed. There are various parts laying
on the ground around the car."

This looks to me to be a poultry car similar to this one:

https://lionelllc.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/poultrycarppkx5065meierfeld.pn

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Roger Huber

I would think if there were more than one car sent out they might be going to different locations and would need an attendant in each. With multiple cars going to one location it could go either way. Chickens don't need constant attention so taking care of their feed/water/eggs and those that died in transit could be handled by one poor fellow in 2 cars or so. I don't know as I'd want that job.

I'm willing to bet the tank is for water for the chickens and poop got shoveled out the door or some other place. There was no EPA or poop police back then.

Certainly interesting cars and the discussion has brought out a lot of nice photos and helpful info. Really good team track use.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

Richard Townsend

It's a poultry car. Many were converted to other uses during WWII and this may be a photo of that process underway.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I found this photo on the Model Railroad Minutiae blog:

The caption reads, "This photo shows an outside metal framed boxcar without the wood panels.  The metal frame on this boxcar was being coated with rust protection.  I am guessing this car was being rebuilt or repaired and the inside wood framing has yet to be installed.  There are various parts laying on the ground around the car."

This looks to me to be a poultry car similar to this one:

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

The image of the bare framework is definitely a poultry car. You can see the frame work for holding the cages or coops. And there would not be wood sides, the sides were typically a wire mesh. Each car was equipped with water and feed for the birds. There is typically a roof hatch, I assume for the feed box, above the center section of the car. And the underbelly tank is most likely a water tank. Do you suppose there was a pump or just dip a bucket through a trap door in the floor? The center section also contained a small bunk room with stove for the attendant. A center aisle ran the length of car. Cages were loaded via this aisle and the attendant used it to care for the care birds. The attendants job included caring for the birds, ie feed and water, collecting eggs, cleaning the cages, and disposing of dead birds.

Many poultry cars were leased, to individuals or companies, who used the car to collect/purchase poultry as they made their rounds, probably following a pre-determined or assigned route. The birds were then delivered to a central processing facility at the end of the route. In many poultry car photos you can see a name above the center door on the car. Notice the name “Long” on the photo from the Barriger Library. Long could have been the attendant who leased the car from Live Poultry Transit Co. Or Long could be the company who hired the attendant to work the car.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

frograbbit602

Eric the tank under neat is for feed for the poultry. Under the running board is a tank for water. Both tanks had access by attendant from his middle quarters.

Lester Breuer

frograbbit602

I as others believe this is a poultry car. On the second poultry car photo that Bob said the car might be like. The research I have done states the bottom tank was used for feed and water in the tank under the running board. Both tanks had access hatches from attendant quarters.

As a side note. I believe there is only one poultry car left in the country which is at the St. Louis Transportation Museum. When I was there last year I got a person to take me to see the car buried among others in a car barn. Terrible location for photos. I was told is was out for display in earlier years to attempt to raise money for restoration. I am wondering if someone in this group took photos of the car while it was outside on display. And, could share a photo or two.

Lester Breuer

Ray Breyer

>>In many poultry car photos you can see a name above the center door on the car. Notice the name “Long” on the photo from the Barriger Library.
>>Long could have been the attendant who leased the car from Live Poultry Transit Co. Or Long could be the company who hired the attendant to work the car.
>>Doug  Harding

I think that this explanation of the poultry car names is model RR urban legend. I've got nearly 100 photos of poultry cars, with 30 readable names. The cars all seem to have come with names already painted on at the builders, so it seems as though the simplest explanation is that it was just tradition among the poultry car owners to name each car. Why? Who knows: maybe the car name above the door was easier to call out to farmers during loading ("Head on over to GEESER" instead of "Take your racks to LPTC 1023").

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Ray Breyer

Likely an attendant in each car.

In 1922, chicken traffic boomed in central Illinois, and it seems as though there was a run on dedicated poultry cars. On the Clover Leaf, they ended up hauling chicken coops in regular stock cars, which didn't have provisions for riders. So the railroad built three "poultry caretaker's cars" (basically cupolaless cabooses) out of old boxcars. The NKP used the cars into the early 1930s.

There's be no need for chicken drovers cars unless the railroad needed someplace to hold six men at a time (the number of bunks in the cars).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL