Klasing Hand Brake from Resin Car works

Schleigh Mike

This week I received my order of the Resin Car Works Klasing hand brake models.  If anyone is doubting the future of 3-D printed detail parts, this item will change your mind.  The detail and section size are incredible.  They are very comparable to the set that True-Line Trains has produced by other processes.  (I am still wondering if they each model the same prototype.)

I look for more detailed parts coming via this process.  Many more useful things should be  possible if someone takes the time to define the geometry.

Regards from springlike Grove City in western Penna.----Mike Schleigh

Tim O'Connor

Wonderful news! If I hadn't bought 16 of the TLT sets in January I would
have ordered some of these. I look forward to more styles. This is a very
promising start!

Also, Klasing had at least two distinctive styles, and many other vendors had
several styles. There are a LOT of possibilities.

Tim O'Connor

This week I received my order of the Resin Car Works Klasing hand brake models.  If anyone is doubting the future of 3-D printed detail parts, this item will change your mind.  The detail and section size are incredible.  They are very comparable to the set that True-Line Trains has produced by other processes.  (I am still wondering if they each model the same prototype.)

I look for more detailed parts coming via this process.  Many more useful things should be  possible if someone takes the time to define the geometry.

Regards from springlike Grove City in western Penna.----Mike Schleigh

Tom Madden

The particular Klasing wheel that RCW offers is the only one with spokes heavy enough to print. The spokes on the others are too fine. It was designed by Frank's son, Patrick.

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Also, Klasing had at least two distinctive styles

Of what Tim? If you mean hand brake wheels, there are at least 6 versions of the 646 wheel that I know of that would be installed on the 650 / 950 series of gears. The TLT wheel dates from the late '40's and the RCW wheel is from the late '30's. I have not received my RCW sets yet but I am pretty sure that gear is a D-959.

Dan Smith

Tom Madden wrote:
The particular Klasing wheel that RCW offers is the only one with spokes heavy enough to print

Tom and Frank also, there is an earlier Klasing 646 wheel with a solid center hub. Contact me is you want
more info.

Dan Smith

Tim O'Connor

Dan

Actually, Klasings of exactly the same style as the TLT were being installed
on brand new cars, Missouri Pacific and Northern Pacific box cars, in 1959 and
1960, respectively.

I don't really care about the gear boxes. The wheels are 10x more interesting.

Tim O'Connor

Of what Tim? If you mean hand brake wheels, there are at least 6 versions of the 646 wheel that I know of that would be installed on the 650 / 950 series of gears. The TLT wheel dates from the late '40's and the RCW wheel is from the late '30's. I have not received my RCW sets yet but I am pretty sure that gear is a D-959.

Dan Smith

Tim,

The 646 Klasing wheel that TLT did dates from 1949 to the end of production of the malleable wheel and
the gear changed from the D-959 to the 1050 in '52 and to the 1150 in circa '54, and that would be the gear on
cars built in the late '50's. These gears are very different visually. If memory serves, Moloco does the 1150.

Dan Smith