Gesendet: Montag, 05. März 2018 um 21:44 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]"
An: stmfc@...
Betreff: [STMFC] brass for the cost of a resin kit?

watching this one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323096576503

Tim O'

Bill Welch

One would need to overlook the fact the the roof is wrong, shoulde be a Hutchins roof with typical FGE/WFE/BRE hatch rests.

Bill Welch

Benjamin Hom

Bill Welch wrote:
"One would need to overlook the fact the the roof is wrong, shoulde be a Hutchins roof with typical FGE/WFE/BRE hatch rests."

...proving yet again that brass (or resin) doesn't guarantee accuracy.

Ben Hom

Robert Heninger

Bill,

I'm not so sure about that. I think these were formerly GN 50' express reefers that were transferred to WFE. I'm fairly sure the GN cars had Murphy XLA roofs. This isn't a model of a 40' car.

I'll check my references later tonight.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Robert Heninger

Well, Bill, I shouldn't be surprised to find that you are correct. Darn, and I have one of those cars in my collection, too. I could have saved myself the money. I looked at the GNRHS reference sheet on express reefer cars and not only were the cars built new for WFE, of course they have the Hutchins roof and hatch rests you describe. I won't doubt you again, my friend.

The GN reefers do have Murphy XLA roofs, and the Shoreham Shops models of those cars are beautiful, and accurate, models.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Tim O'Connor

"Should be" is always a hazardous way to think. These express reefers are
documented in GNRHS Data Sheet #165 (June 1990) which includes a
drawing for a 50 foot GN express reefer of that time which specifically states

  "XLA Flexible Metal Roof"

The builder photo of WFEX 161 in the data sheet matches the model in every
respect that can be seen, but only the edge of the roof can be seen.

The article goes on to explain that information on WFEX 100-199 is difficult
to find. Some cars MAY have used frames identical to the famous NX milk container
FLAT cars (e.g. Renken Dairy). (According to the article.)

HOWEVER I have a 1938 image of WFEX 103, and it does not look AT ALL like WFEX 161
(basis for the brass model). For what it's worth, WFEX 103 does look like it's built
on a flat car frame.

I conclude that WFEX 100-199 could not possibly be a single group of cars.

Perhaps someone with a complete set of equipment registers 1920's through 1940's
can trace a timeline for WFEX 100-199.

Tim O'Connor

=============================

Bill Welch wrote:
"One would need to overlook the fact the the roof is wrong, shoulde be a Hutchins roof with typical FGE/WFE/BRE hatch rests."

...proving yet again that brass (or resin) doesn't guarantee accuracy.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Bob are you looking at the same reference sheet I have?? Because there is ZERO
information on the roof or roof hatches of WFEX 161, which is the car in question.

The data sheet SPECIFICALLY mentions that WFEX 161 differs from other GN express
reefers in several respects, including the door dimensions. It is NOT simply a
repainted GN express reefer. I can see no hatch rests in the photo of WFEX 161.

Tim O'Connor

Well, Bill, I shouldn't be surprised to find that you are correct. Darn, and I have one of those cars in my collection, too. I could have saved myself the money. I looked at the GNRHS reference sheet on express reefer cars and not only were the cars built new for WFE, of course they have the Hutchins roof and hatch rests you describe. I won't doubt you again, my friend.

The GN reefers do have Murphy XLA roofs, and the Shoreham Shops models of those cars are beautiful, and accurate, models.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Bill Welch

Tim could easily be correct about there being different designs within the 100-199 group. However the three photos I have—#'s 144, 161, 178—all have the Hutchins roofs and the front facing goat BTW. #178 is the only one that is a straight-on side shot and seems to have wider doors.

Bill Welch

Robert Heninger

Tim,

I'll put my responses in bold type for clarity.

Bob are you looking at the same reference sheet I have??

Yes, I am.

Because there is ZERO information on the roof or roof hatches of WFEX 161, which is the car in question.

I will disagree with you. The photo of WFEX 161 clearly demonstrates the characteristic appearance of the Hutchins roof seam caps. This matches the appearance of the seam caps of other reefers and boxcars known to have Hutchins roofs, of which I have numerous photos in my collection. But no, there is no diagram for the WFEX 100-199 reefer reproduced in the Reference Sheet, as there is for the GN owned reefers.

Additionally, if you look between the first and second seam cap from the B end, you'll see a metal strap that comes over the edge of the roof and is bolted to the car side. This is the hatch rest that Bill Welch was referring to.

The data sheet SPECIFICALLY mentions that WFEX 161 differs from other GN express
reefers in several respects, including the door dimensions. It is NOT simply a
repainted GN express reefer.

Yes, I agree with you here. Somewhere in my head, I had the idea they had been transferred to WFEX by the GN. Obviously not the case, as they are very different cars.

I can see no hatch rests in the photo of WFEX 161.

Please see the above discussion.

My statements in my previous email were wrong, and I believe Bill Welch is correct. I'd love to see the photo of WFEX 103 in your possession, if you'd be willing to share it.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

rwitt_2000

Bob H wrote: I'd love to see the photo of WFEX 103 in your possession, if you'd be willing to share it.

I believe I have a thumbnail of that image and its from the collection of the California State Railroad Museum.

https://www.californiarailroad.museum/visit/library

Bob Witt

Bill Welch

Bob are supposed to see a photo when we click on the link?

Bill Welch

George Courtney

I can't get my updated Windows to allow me to copy, but if you go to Protocraft. com.  The O scale guy, I believe that might a photo of one of the series of cars in question.  .  www.Protocraft.com

George Courtney

Bill Welch

Sorry not seeing any 50-foot Western Fruit Express reefers on this site.

Bill Welch

Douglas Harding

Bill did you look under decals? There are prototype photos accompanying the decal sets.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org