Topics

1927 ORER

Steve and Barb Hile

I am trying to trace some Lincoln Oil Refining Company tank cars that were purchased by UTLX in 1927.  I don't see Lincoln, or its reporting marks LINX in the October 1926 ORER and it doesn't show in 1930, either.

I would appreciate if anyone could share any Lincoln Oil Refining ORER info from any time in 1927 or later.  Lincoln was located in Robinson, Illinois and was a predecessor of Marathon, which still operates a refinery there.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Richard Townsend

Nothing in the ORERs from 1/38, 1/43, 4/52, 7/56, or 1/58. No LINX or Lincoln Oil.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Mar 9, 2018 8:24 pm
Subject: [STMFC] 1927 ORER

I am trying to trace some Lincoln Oil Refining Company tank cars that were purchased by UTLX in 1927.  I don't see Lincoln, or its reporting marks LINX in the October 1926 ORER and it doesn't show in 1930, either.

I would appreciate if anyone could share any Lincoln Oil Refining ORER info from any time in 1927 or later.  Lincoln was located in Robinson, Illinois and was a predecessor of Marathon, which still operates a refinery there.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Nothing in the May 1926 ORER for either Lincoln Oil or LINX

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2018 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] 1927 ORER

Nothing in the ORERs from 1/38, 1/43, 4/52, 7/56, or 1/58. No LINX or Lincoln Oil.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

From: 'Steve and Barb Hile' shile@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...>
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Steve and List Members,

The previously discussed image regarding the "Lincoln Oil Refining" tank car showed reporting marks of FTX... see link below.

FTX is listed in the May 1926 ORER on page 883 as Federal Tank Line with a total of 741 cars, varying in capacity.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:29 PM

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Ted Schnepf

Hi Steve,

checked 1/28 ORER, no LINX listed.  only Lincoln was Gas and coal LGCX.

ted

At 10:24 PM 3/9/2018, you wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@...
847-697-5353
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used.  HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 5% added).

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Richard Townsend

No FTX in 1/38 ORER.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

To: STMFC
Sent: Sat, Mar 10, 2018 9:44 am

The previously discussed image regarding the "Lincoln Oil Refining" tank car showed reporting marks of FTX... see link below.

FTX is listed in the May 1926 ORER on page 883 as Federal Tank Line with a total of 741 cars, varying in capacity.

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Dave Parker

FTX appears to have been rather short-lived.  It is not in the 1919 tank-car tariff book.  Ian Cranstone's on-line tabulation suggests that it first appeared in an ORER in 1920.  As Claus said, it was around in 1926.  It does not appear in my 1930 ORER.

So, pillar to post, maybe a decade for FTX.

I have yet to find any trace whatsoever of LINX.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:35 AM, "Richard Townsend richtownsend@... [STMFC]" wrote:

No FTX in 1/38 ORER.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Sat, Mar 10, 2018 9:44 am

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

SUVCWORR@...

Steve,  are you sure UTLX purchased these cars?   The LINX reporting marks now belong to GE Railcar Services and are part of the NATX North American Tank Car Lines

Rich Orr

Sent: Fri, Mar 9, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Steve and Barb Hile

Quite sure about the purchase of 35 - 8000 gallon cars in 1927 and the LINX reporting marks appear to have been associated only with Lincoln Oil Refining in 1927, or shortly after.  The ORER's that I can't seem to find...

I am trying to piece together the rest of the story.

Thanks,
Steve Hile

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:18 PM
To: STMFC@...

Steve,  are you sure UTLX purchased these cars?   The LINX reporting marks now belong to GE Railcar Services and are part of the NATX North American Tank Car Lines

Rich Orr

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

ROGER HINMAN

I looked in March,octowber 1927 and jun, jul 1928 and do not see Lincoln oil

Roger hinman

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

On Saturday, March 10, 2018, 'Steve and Barb Hile' shile@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Quite sure about the purchase of 35 - 8000 gallon cars in 1927 and the LINX reporting marks appear to have been associated only with Lincoln Oil Refining in 1927, or shortly after.  The ORER's that I can't seem to find...

Thanks,
Steve Hile

STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]

Rich Orr

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Steve and Barb Hile

Interesting. 

Thanks,
Steve

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 4:37 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] 1927 ORER

I looked in March,octowber 1927 and jun, jul 1928 and do not see Lincoln oil

Roger hinman

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

On Saturday, March 10, 2018, 'Steve and Barb Hile' shile@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Steve Hile

STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]

Rich Orr

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

David

I found this for Robinson on Marathon's site:
"Built in 1906 by Lincoln Oil Company; purchased in 1924 by MPC (then the Ohio Oil Company)"

"The Ohio Oil Company (Ohio Oil) was founded in 1887 when several northern Ohio oil production firms joined together to market their crude oil, satisfied to sell their products as crude oil and leave the refining and marketing to others.  In June of 1924, Ohio Oil first ventured into marketing with the purchase of Lincoln Oil Refining Company (Lincoln Oil) of Robinson, Illinois. Lincoln Oil operated a refinery and 17 retail gasoline stations in the Robinson-Terre Haute area."

Might need to look in 1923 or 4?

David Thompson

gary laakso

Lincoln was purchased by Ohio Oil in June of 1924. 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:32 AM

Hi Steve,

checked 1/28 ORER, no LINX listed.  only Lincoln was Gas and coal LGCX.

ted

At 10:24 PM 3/9/2018, you wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Steve Hile

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@...
847-697-5353
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used.  HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 5% added).

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jim Gates

According to the A History of the General American Transportation Company, published in 1948, Federal Tank Line was purchased by General American in 1926. 740 tank cars came with the deal.

Jim Gates

--------------------------------------------

On Sat, 3/10/18, Dave Parker spottab@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

To: "STMFC@..." <STMFC@...>
Date: Saturday, March 10, 2018, 12:42 PM

FTX appears to have been rather short-lived.  It is not in the
1919 tank-car tariff book.  Ian Cranstone's on-line
tabulation suggests that it first appeared in an ORER in
1920.  As Claus said, it was around in 1926.  It does not
appear in my 1930 ORER.
So, pillar to post, maybe a decade for FTX. I
have yet to find any trace whatsoever of LINX.

Dave
ParkerRiverside,
CA