Topics

Accurail Nickel Plate Rebuilt Hopper Kitbash

Matt Smith

If you are in need of some NKP rebuilt composite hoppers, here is fun kit bash from an Accurail Canton hopper.

Here is a link to the full details of the build. Also contains prototype info regarding the NKP rebuilds.
http://www.nkphts.org/modelersnotebook/

Matt Smith,
Bloomington, IL 

Bruce Smith

Edited

​Matt,

I'm confused.  All of the prototype photos seem to show Z channel for verticals 2 and 4, but you have C channel. Were there some cars that have all C channel for the verticals?

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io> on behalf of Matt Smith <flyn96@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:50 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Accurail Nickel Plate Rebuilt Hopper Kitbash

If you are in need of some NKP rebuilt composite hoppers, here is fun kit bash from an Accurail Canton hopper.

Here is a link to the full details of the build. Also contains prototype info regarding the NKP rebuilds.
http://www.nkphts.org/modelersnotebook/

Matt Smith,
Bloomington, IL 

Matt Smith

Bruce,

You are correct!, some have Z's some have C's and some have Z's and C's......confused? I touch a bit on this in the article. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason on the channel type used for the vertical bracing. So be sure to consult the photo's of the car number you modeling as there are photo's all three combinations.

Let me or one of the NKP guru's know if you need more info.

Matt

gtws00

Matt, That is some great modeling. Nicely done. 
Thanks for sharing 
George Toman

Bruce Smith

​Matt,

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Thanks!

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io> on behalf of Matt Smith <flyn96@...>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 5:56 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Accurail Nickel Plate Rebuilt Hopper Kitbash

Bruce,

You are correct!, some have Z's some have C's and some have Z's and C's......confused? I touch a bit on this in the article. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason on the channel type used for the vertical bracing. So be sure to consult the photo's of the car number you modeling as there are photo's all three combinations.

Let me or one of the NKP guru's know if you need more info.

Matt

Paolo Roffo

Would these have travelled off-line much by the 1950s?  Or were they mostly relegated to company service and other niche uses by then?

Paolo

Ray Breyer

>>On Monday, April 16, 2018, 12:02:42 PM CDT, Paolo Roffo <paolo.roffo@...> wrote:
>>Would these have travelled off-line much by the 1950s?  Or were they mostly relegated to company 
>>service and other niche uses by then?
>>Paolo

Hi Paolo, 

Although they do seem to have been the cars of choice to haul NKP company coal and ash, they were regular service hoppers just like any other car in their fleet. They show up regularly in Wheeling Division train photos, and I have a color photo of one in a Seaboard train in Sewell's Point VA, circa 1956. There were still 972 of these cars on the roster in 1959, representing 12% of their hopper fleet.

Keep in mind that the bulk of these cars weren't rebuilt into all-steel cars until the 1950-1954 period. If they were going to stay in company service they probably wouldn't have been rebuilt at all. The N&W didn't have a use for the cars, and they were scrapped quickly after the N&W takeover.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Hugh Guillaume

NKP hoppers not likely to stray very far offline.  Keep in mind that original NKP had no on-line mines.  In 1947 NKP acquired W&LE which had on-line mines in Southeastern Ohio.  Also, contact the NKPT&HS for info.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Elliot Courtney

Matt, 
I am currently working on this kitbash and would like to know what archer decals you used? At 17$ a sheet I would like to know what you reccomend before I start experimenting. Great Article!
Thanks, 
Elliot 

Bill Welch

FYI the article is in the April 2018 issue. These take awhile to download.

Bill Welch

Matt Smith

Elliot,

I used Microscale rivet decals. Look for a line of rivets that has similar spacing to ones you need to replace or you are trying to match in the prototype photo. Once its painted and weathered it will look great!

Keep us posted!
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Mark Stamm

For the cars rebuilt 1949 what where the numbers? Anyone have pictures of those car specifically. 

Thanks
Mark

Ray Breyer

>>For the cars rebuilt 1949 what where the numbers? Anyone have pictures of those car specifically. 
>>Thanks
>>Mark

Hi Mark, 

The NKP didn't keep track of them that way. The paperwork available only states:
140 cars rebuilt in 1949, 140 cars in 1950, 250 cars in 1951, 240 cars in 1952, 161 cars in 1953, and 80 cars in 1954 (which adds up to 1,011 cars, not an even 1000. Not bad considering there were only 836 cars left on the roster in 1947).

So pick a number, any number. All of my photos of these cars have reweigh dates after 1951, so I doubt anyone can prove whatever numbers you pick will be wrong!

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL