Keep those paint blisters!

gary laakso

This is a picture of what appears to be a double sheathed boxcar with many, many paint blisters:

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1947-Aug-Ogden/i-HFg8cLH/A

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Bill Vaughn

It's a reefer.

Bill Vaughn

Dennis Storzek

"It's a reefer."

Most likely a Mather reefer, note the steel posts showing below the wood siding, and the round rod sill step, a sure Mather spotting feature.

Dennis Storzek

rwitt_2000

I am not an expert, but since this is a photo of a moving train and I believe some of what appear as "blisters" are artifacts of motion or from scanning the negative.

The next view has a B&O M-53 box car and the door has strange features I believe to be rivets.

Bob Witt

Bruce Smith

​Bob,

The blisters are pretty clearly real paint blisters. Having no small amount of experience with both paint and photography, I don't think that these are  a photographic artifact.

As for the "rivets" on the M-53 door, I do not believe that they are rivets as I believe that they are recesses as deduced from the shadow pattern. They may be tack welds to the interior structure of the door showing because the door has been pushed out (note that the bumps to the right of the door in the car sheathing are also not rivets, but impacts from something internal, making me think that this car has had some lading motion issues in the past). An alternative explanation is that this car may have been one with a door that did have rivets horizontally across the door (some did as seen in RPCyc #9) and that the rivets have been removed, but I favor my 1st explanation.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn AL

I am not an expert, but since this is a photo of a moving train and I believe some of what appear as "blisters" are artifacts of motion or from scanning the negative.

The next view has a B&O M-53 box car and the door has strange features I believe to be rivets.

Bob Witt

Doug Paasch

I totally agree with Bruce that these are real paint blisters and all else he mentioned below.  Paint blisters are usually caused by outgassing of water vapor where it is trapped behind, for example, your wood house siding.  The old brittle linseed oil based paints would be rather impervious to the moisture and would blister, then the blisters would crack, and the paint start peeling.  From the looks of some of the planks, it appears to me that moisture has gotten inside the walls, possibly from a roof leak since it seems to run from top to bottom on the planks.  The group of 4 or 5 planks by the left end grabs seems to be where the boards are not only peeling paint but possibly suffering from early stages of dry rot.  I know what this looks like from personal experience with an old house I once owned.  I also remember wandering through train yards in the 1960’s and 70’s where old wood-sheathed cars sat rotting away and saw many with blisters and peeled paint such as this, or worse.  I also owned GN caboose X265 at one time and it had roof leaks.  It was a steel caboose but the INSIDE of it looked like the OUTSIDE of this reefer as it started to blister the paint on the plywood interior walls from water leaking into them.  As a side note, it also looks like bad rust along the edge of the roof on that left corner, perhaps another indication of water problems?

  Doug Paasch

  Hotchkiss, CO

[...]

Bruce and Doug,

Thank you for your replies and educating me about water damage that can lead to extreme paint blistering on wood sheathed freight cars.

Bob Witt

dave w

Yes Doug,
painting a few fences in my time, early acrylics that were not thinned excessively.

When hot sun shone on slightly damp wood after painting quite a few 'gaseous'  blisters formed. The moisture left in the wood warmed to the point it stretched the paint skin, fwiw
dave