Topics

Imbedded Photos Stacking Up

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Has anyone else noticed that every time a message with an embedded photo is responded to, an additional copy of the image appears in the "E-mailed photos file". For example, there are five identical views titled "
Linde Gas XT CGBX #603 Union Carbide.jpg".

Can the preferences be changed, or will our administrators be forced to regularly clean out the duplicates before they choke the site?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Tim O'Connor

People CAN reply to posts without mailing back a copy of any photos.

WHY they don't bother to edit their replies is perhaps an issue for the moderators.

Tim O'Connor

Friends,

Has anyone else noticed that every time a message with an embedded photo is responded to, an additional copy of the image appears in the "E-mailed photos file". For example, there are five identical views titled " Linde Gas XT CGBX #603 Union Carbide.jpg".

Can the preferences be changed, or will our administrators be forced to regularly clean out the duplicates before they choke the site?

Tom Madden

Garth is correct. Any image in any post is automatically placed in the first album in the Photos area. They also remain with the posts to which they were attached. "Any image in any post" means any graphic, whether attached or embedded - emoticons, fancy signatures, etc., in addition to undeleted images in the post you replied to. There are 45 images in the album now, and we've only been doing this for a few days. In addition to the duplicate Linde tank photos , there are several duplicated NKP hopper images and a handful of dummy files (extraneous graphics) there as well. Storage space isn't an issue, this group was well over the 1GB free storage limit upon transfer so I assume Mike and Jeff arranged to pay the fee for 10GB. But if any photo album becomes cluttered with a lot of duplicated and extraneous images, it gets very difficult to find the one you want.

The other issue, which someone else mentioned, is titling our images. Attached images don't show titles in posts, but they do when they go in the album. The first three photos in the album are titled IMG_8519.JPG, IMG_8520.JPG and IMG_8521.JPG. They are Bruce's underbody photos, but you wouldn't know that if you didn't read or remember his post. Attached images come with titles. We should be able to come up with more descriptive ones than our cameras or scanners can.

Tom Madden, fighting this battle as owner of another group

Dave Parker

Tom:

Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I am under the impression that the duplicate images (at least for attachments) are not generated if you go to the groups io site, and reply via the Messages list.  At least with my email provider, I am offered a choice of "Reply to Group" or "View/Reply Online (#xxxxxx)".  I much prefer the latter, as I think groups io provides a cleaner and easier to work with "bundling" of messages with the same subject line.

Again, I may be wrong here, but this seems to be the case with the 5 or 6 groups that I am involved with.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Apr 19, 2018, at 12:14 PM, Garth Groff wrote:

[deletia, in the holy name of clarity]

Can the preferences be changed, or will our administrators be forced to regularly clean out the duplicates before they choke the site?
Echoing Tim, it's just a matter of individual users editing a reply, removing all but the most important material for context, as I did above. Such an activity usually deletes the internal references to any embedded files as well as clearing up the overall context
--
"I think we are pole vaulting over mouse manure here."

David Payne

I blame it on the programmers who put the "new" comments at the top rather, than as I recall from years ago, the bottom of a reply.  I think most responders don't THINK about what is below the reply they are typing.  I like for my reply to be below the original comment and do some cutting and pasting to make it happen.

David Payne
Georgia

Nolan Hinshaw

On May 31, 2018, at 1:37 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io wrote:

[Puhtaytoe puhtahtoe, tuhmaytoe tuhmahto]

I blame it on the programmers who put the "new" comments at the top rather, than as I recall from years ago, the bottom of a reply.
The old top posting-bottom-posting argument predates the World Wide Web and the public internet[0]. It had little to do with coder preferences, more to to with netiquette. Regardless of the default location of the text cursor in a followup or reply, there was a customary action requested, and sometimes required of users, to edit and to position the text cursor appropriately in replies.

I think most responders don't THINK
and that's it, in a proverbial nutshell. Netiquette strongly insists on *thoughtful* follow-ups.

[0] the glory days of Usenet, even before the Great Renaming
--
Nolan Hinshaw, formerly mandible@netcom.com and AFU Game Warden