Topics

New Photos To Albums

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I have just uploaded seven new photos to my Albums 6-8 (living for the moment on page 9 of the io photo site). These are all in color and include two new FGEX refrigerators in Album 6, a nifty 12K UTLX tank in Album 7, plus Album 8 got D&RGW and International Mineral and Chemical covered hoppers, a DODX PS-1 1 1/2-door boxcar, and a single-sheathed NP boxcar with a mess of dog food some clumsy forklift operator just spilled. I've added commentary to most of these photos.

As always, your comments and additional data are welcome. Come up with something good and I might be able to add it to the comments box.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Bill Welch

Garth, I am not seeing any photos in the folders.

Bill Welch

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 12:23 pm, Garth Groff wrote:
Friends,

I have just uploaded seven new photos to my Albums 6-8 (living for the moment on page 9 of the io photo site). These are all in color and include two new FGEX refrigerators in Album 6, a nifty 12K UTLX tank in Album 7, plus Album 8 got D&RGW and International Mineral and Chemical covered hoppers, a DODX PS-1 1 1/2-door boxcar, and a single-sheathed NP boxcar with a mess of dog food some clumsy forklift operator just spilled. I've added commentary to most of these photos.

As always, your comments and additional data are welcome. Come up with something good and I might be able to add it to the comments box.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill,

Poop! I was thinking you might find the FGEX album of interest, at least to show what was out there on the Left Coast.

All I can say about the io albums is some folks get lucky, and some don't. I suspect it might have something to do with LAN bandwidth, at least in my case (the slowest possible internet service). I think if you go pour yourself a Starbucks and come back in a few minutes, the photos will start to pop up.

I've noticed that when you click on a single photo and it opens, all the others are gone again when you return to the album's home. Then they start the agonizing process of loading all over again. Not exactly a user-friendly feature, even if it is free.

Can you at least see the photo captions? If you can, and sounds interesting, I will send gladly slightly larger versions to you directly. Just request directly please.

So in the interest of saving that precious bandwidth, let's not have a chorus of "I can" or "I can't" again. That was last week.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/3/18 8:05 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
Garth, I am not seeing any photos in the folders.

Bill Welch

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 12:23 pm, Garth Groff wrote:
Friends,

I have just uploaded seven new photos to my Albums 6-8 (living for the moment on page 9 of the io photo site). These are all in color and include two new FGEX refrigerators in Album 6, a nifty 12K UTLX tank in Album 7, plus Album 8 got D&RGW and International Mineral and Chemical covered hoppers, a DODX PS-1 1 1/2-door boxcar, and a single-sheathed NP boxcar with a mess of dog food some clumsy forklift operator just spilled. I've added commentary to most of these photos.

As always, your comments and additional data are welcome. Come up with something good and I might be able to add it to the comments box.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Rufus Cone

Garth, I am not seeing any photos in the folders.
Bill Welch
Bill,

Garth has uploaded these photos as tif files.  They do not display, but they are there.

Open the link to each photo in a separate page or in that page, and you will get a mostly blank page with a download button. Click on the download button, choose the directory where you wish to save the file and save.

This worked with Firefox.  I did not try Chrome.

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Which points up a minor problem.
Using tif for photos in a group is a waste of the available space and really serves no real purpose.
For keeping on one's own hard drive, tif's are an good choice as it retains the quality. But for viewing on the web it is totally unnecessary. Jpg's will show just as well.
I also recommend to Garth and all to include the exact name of the album(s) they are posted to. This is the best way to locate them in groups.io.
Not trying to dump on Garth but the above information is quite true.
John Hagen

Garth, I am not seeing any photos in the folders.
Bill Welch
Bill,

Garth has uploaded these photos as tif files. They do not display, but
they are there.

Open the link to each photo in a separate page or in that page, and you
will get a mostly blank page with a download button. Click on the
download button, choose the directory where you wish to save the file
and save.

This worked with Firefox. I did not try Chrome.

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

O Fenton Wells

I couldn't open them either.  I saw the folders but no photos
Fenton

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 8:30 PM, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:
[...]

250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 06:44 pm, John Hagen wrote:
Which points up a minor problem.
Using tif for photos in a group is a waste of the available space and really serves no real purpose.

While it's admirable that Garth wants to share his photos in a format that will let any list member download the maximum quality image, I should point out that these groups only have a limited amount of storage space before someone has to pay for it. The larger the file size of the photos, the sooner that happens. Which is why I've always viewed the PHOTOS section of these groups as a place to share a view to enhance the discussion. A 72 ppi JPG image is certainly adequate for discussion. If someone wants an image at greater resolution, he is free to contact Garth directly, or Garth can upload them to one of the photo hosting sites, and post the link here.

I've been a member of these chat lists for a long time... back to the days of severely limited storage space. These group pages are not intended to be permanent web sites to collect information; the photo section is there to support the discussion. Back then it was routine for the list owner to periodically delete the oldest photos to keep within the storage limit, typically deleting the oldest photos first. Use up all the storage space, and the list will no longer be free.

Dennis Storzek

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Dennis and John,

I really hadn't considered I was hogging space on the server, and thought I was being conscious of posting photos that would be of use or interest to our members. I will do some rethinking, and can certainly rotate out some photos, or even do with fewer albums after people have had a chance to look them over and download anything they want. As I digitize my father's and my slide collections, I'm sure to find more interesting cars. The WP tank car collection stays unless our moderators want it removed. O.K.? I'm still hoping it will help somebody, maybe Accurail, do an AC&F 10K high-walkway tank. :-D

This morning I converted four of the groups to jpg format. If anyone wants to check WP tank cars, Shenandoah Valley (we discussed the boxcar some years ago), FGEX/WFE refrigerators, and Yolo Short Line (which I consider expendable) and report to me if they are finally working, PLEASE CONTACT ME OFF-LIST: sarahsan AT embarqmail.com (deformatted). You will find these albums at the end of page 8 and the beginning of page 9. I hope to do the other albums tomorrow morning.

Something to consider about wasting space is all the albums which have nothing in them, represented by a "moon over the mountain" icon. Apparently only our moderators can do this clean-up job

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff