Topics

File extensions for saved photos

David Wiggs

Sometimes in site posts, links are provided to library sites that contain photos that I would like to save to my computer.  It now seems that when I try to do a "save as" the photo is saved as an HTML link to the website.  Is there a way to save them as JPG or TIF files?

davo in Orlando

Bill Welch

Click w/your "Right" button which should give you a small menu of options. I cannot remember ever being able to use "save as" to download an image from the internet to my computer.

Bill Welch

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Dave (or do you prefer “Davo”?)

The short answer is: sometimes.  I occasionally find sites for which “Save as” is available and actually works, but that’s unusual in my experience.  More often there is a download icon that will permit you to download the image, sometimes even with a choice of sizes.  It’s a multi-step process, but I’ve recently acquired some great freight car images that way.  There are, however, some sights from which I’ve been unable to save anything useful.

Incidentally, when I download an image, I give it a meaningful name and include its source for future reference should I ever want to use it for a clinic or an article or whatever.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 2:48 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] File extensions for saved photos

Sometimes in site posts, links are provided to library sites that contain photos that I would like to save to my computer.  It now seems that when I try to do a "save as" the photo is saved as an HTML link to the website.  Is there a way to save them as JPG or TIF files?

davo in Orlando

Joseph Melhorn

If you are using a PC with Windows Vista or later, you can use the built-in “Snipping Tool” to capture a portion of the screen, then save it to your hard drive, thumb drive, etc. Open a Search window (varies with the version of Windows you are using) and type “snipping tool” (without the quotes). The Snipping Tool app should appear at the top of the search window. While the search window is open and before you launch the app, you can right-click on the Snipping Tool app and pin a shortcut to it either to the Taskbar or the Start menu, for easier access in the future.

Once the image is on the screen that you want to capture/save, launch the Snipping Tool and you will see a small menu (New, delay, cancel or options) select New and your screen will turn translucent grey and you will see a large + (crosshair) cursor. Maneuver the cursor to the top left point on the screen where you want to start the capture, then hold down the left mouse button and drag right and down until you’ve lassoed the image that you want to save. Click the “Save” button, select the location where you want to save the capture to, give it a name and you’re done. The default is JPG.

Another tip, use the Ctrl-+ (plus) or Ctrl- (minus) (holding down the Control key while tapping either the + (plus) or - (minus) keys) to zoom in or out to adjust the size of the image you want to “capture”. If you Ctrl+ four times to zoom in, when you’re done, don’t forget to Ctrl- four times to return the screen back to normal.

Disclaimer: I do not advocate violating copyrights, do this for personal use only!

Joe Melhorn

Sahuarita, AZ

Dave Nelson

Varies from site to site.  You may have noticed recently that Google has removed “Saved As” from its images page.  Too many photographers complained about copyright infringement and too many web sites complained people were no longer visiting their sites to see their images but simply looking at what Google was showing everyone.

As for libraries, things really vary quite a lot.  Sometimes you see “save as” and it offers to save it as a .jpg.  Other times you have to right mouse to  “view page info” and search thru the list for the image you want and use its “Save as” button.

Dave Nelson

From: RealSTMFC@groups.io [mailto:RealSTMFC@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Wiggs
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 11:48 AM

Sometimes in site posts, links are provided to library sites that contain photos that I would like to save to my computer.  It now seems that when I try to do a "save as" the photo is saved as an HTML link to the website  Is there a way to save them as JPG or TIF files?

davo in Orlando

Schuyler Larrabee

If I just HAVE to have that image on the screen, I use the “Snipping Tool” that comes in Windows 10.  I can then save that image as whatever I want.  It does allow me to crop the image to my liking. I know that the quality of the image isn’t what I’d get by downloading a .jpg if I can do that, but it’s a way of getting around these protections.

I don’t really approve of my own actions, having some copyrighted material out there myself, but . . .

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Nelson
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2018 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] File extensions for saved photos

Varies from site to site.  You may have noticed recently that Google has removed “Saved As” from its images page.  Too many photographers complained about copyright infringement and too many web sites complained people were no longer visiting their sites to see their images but simply looking at what Google was showing everyone.

As for libraries, things really vary quite a lot.  Sometimes you see “save as” and it offers to save it as a .jpg.  Other times you have to right mouse to  “view page info” and search thru the list for the image you want and use its “Save as” button.

Dave Nelson

From: RealSTMFC@groups.io [mailto:RealSTMFC@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Wiggs
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 11:48 AM

Sometimes in site posts, links are provided to library sites that contain photos that I would like to save to my computer.  It now seems that when I try to do a "save as" the photo is saved as an HTML link to the website  Is there a way to save them as JPG or TIF files?

davo in Orlando