Topics

File extensions for saved photos

David Wiggs

Sometimes in site posts, links are provided to library sites that contain photos that I would like to save to my computer.  It now seems that when I try to do a "save as" the photo is saved as an HTML link to the website.  Is there a way to save them as JPG or TIF files?

davo in Orlando

Bill Welch

Click w/your "Right" button which should give you a small menu of options. I cannot remember ever being able to use "save as" to download an image from the internet to my computer.

Bill Welch

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Dave (or do you prefer “Davo”?)

The short answer is: sometimes.  I occasionally find sites for which “Save as” is available and actually works, but that’s unusual in my experience.  More often there is a download icon that will permit you to download the image, sometimes even with a choice of sizes.  It’s a multi-step process, but I’ve recently acquired some great freight car images that way.  There are, however, some sights from which I’ve been unable to save anything useful.

Incidentally, when I download an image, I give it a meaningful name and include its source for future reference should I ever want to use it for a clinic or an article or whatever.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966