Topics

Retainers

Dave Nelson

How common were brake retainers in the steam era?  All types of cars or just some?

Dave Nelson

Dennis Storzek

As far as I know, required on all cars in interchange service; also passenger cars. Passenger cars were often mounted inside the vestibule, so don't show.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

They're still required, and are still in use.

How common were brake retainers in the steam era? All types of cars or just some?

Dave Nelson

Bill Welch

Earlier this week I ordered 20 packets of Precision Scale's retainer part,  their #31796. Even if I inevitably drop a few, 80 parts should get me thru their transition of ownership and move further west. BTW, today was last day to send an order.

Bill Welch

Mark Vinski

B&O cabooses did not have retainers. They had a whistle on the retainer pipe that would sound when the brakes were released. The air coming from the brake cylinder would blow the whistle.

Mark Vinski

Dave Boss

Does anyone know if there is a retainer valve part out there sold by itself other than Precision Scale? I know there are others out there but they are usually in a brake detail set which I'm not willing to take it from to use by itself.

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 9:28 PM, mvlandsw <mvlandsw@...> wrote:
B&O cabooses did not have retainers. They had a whistle on the retainer pipe that would sound when the brakes were released. The air coming from the brake cylinder would blow the whistle.

Mark Vinski

Bill Welch

AFAIK PSC has the only separate part.

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

Other than some you can scare up out of old Sunshine resin miscellaneous part castings.  The beauty of those is there were often two or three each of some of the brake parts in those chunks of resin, perhaps because it didn't cost him anything to throw another one into the mold.

The resin backing around the retainer(s) is sometimes half thickness of the part itself.  Many of my IMWX 10'0" boxcars that had a big ugly rectangular box-shaped molding for the triple valve now have a spare Sunshine part.

Ron Merrick

Gene Green <genegreen1942@...>

Tank cars often have the retainer near the hand brake but between the running board and the tank itself.  They are often not very apparent because of their location but they are there, nonetheless.
Gene Green

Dave Nelson

Thank you all for the useful information!  Much appreciated as usual.

Dave Nelson