Topics

Two different trucks

Tim O'Connor

Note to modelers - cars don't always have two identical trucks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372288790209

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch

Yes, I have a George Sisk photo/Charles Winters Collection of DT&I USRA with two different trucks and a Virginian SS Bx10 photo from Bob's showing two different Andrews types, one represented by the Kadee Andrews and what appears to be a USRA type Andrews.

Bill Welch

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 03:52 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Note to modelers - cars don't always have two identical trucks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372288790209

Tim O'Connor

Brian Carlson

There is also a photo of a nickel plate hopper with two different trucks out there. Ray Breyer probably could post to this list.

Brian J. Carlson

On May 4, 2018, at 9:59 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Yes, I have a George Sisk photo/Charles Winters Collection of DT&I USRA with two different trucks and a Virginian SS Bx10 photo from Bob's showing two different Andrews types, one represented by the Kadee Andrews and what appears to be a USRA type Andrews.

Bill Welch

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 03:52 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Note to modelers - cars don't always have two identical trucks
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372288790209

Tim O'Connor

mopacfirst

I have a shot of a T&P 40000 series 40' boxcar with a National B-1 and an ASF A-3, 1967.

Ron Merrick

Jeff Coleman

I have worked a number of cars with mismatched trucks along past the cutoff date of this group.
As long as spring travel and wheel diameter was same it is legal in interchange.
Jeff Coleman

On Sat, May 5, 2018, 9:13 AM mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:
I have a shot of a T&P 40000 series 40' boxcar with a National B-1 and an ASF A-3, 1967.

Ron Merrick

Matt Smith

Many of the Nickel Plate riders cars ran on two different trucks. I guess being resourceful, if it rolls it works!

Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

brianleppert@att.net

It is also possible this car just has a replaced side frame.  I came across this situation while doing field research for my sixth truck, Tahoe Model Works' Buckeye.  The prototype I worked from is under one end of a double wood sheathed FGE refrigerator car at the Niles Canyon Railway in the San Fransisco Bay area.  At first glance, the car seemed to have two different trucks, and when I got to the car the sun was casting harsh shadows on the truck side frame I was interested in, not good for photography.  Simple solution was to walk around to the other side of the car where everything was in shadow.  But what a surprise to find a different side frame!  The car sat on trucks with only three of its original side frames and the fourth was a later replacement.

So when looking a a photo of a car with two different trucks, check out the truck bolster ends.  If they don't match, they most likely are different trucks.  But if the bolster ends do match, like the photo of the car in question, then it might be just a replacement side frame.  For this PFE reefer, the truck on the right has a side frame used on some PFE cars.  I'm not so sure about the one on the left.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

please visit  www.resincarworks.com/tahoe.htm

Tim O'Connor

A fair analysis, but it's just speculative. I have photos of PFE R-30-x reefers
with pairs of each of the two styles of truck seen here, and with the same bolster
ends. It could just be a case of one swapped out truck.

Tim O'Connor