Interesting B-50-17 pics

Bryian Sones

These Pics and more were taken by Gary Binder and posted to the "Union Pacific HO Model Railroading Group" on FB With his permission I share them with you.
Gary and his wife took these pics in 2005 off of Highway 30 going through Kimble, Nebraska.  Note the ladders added to the car. Also something very interesting. The bottom set of 8 rivets near the end of the car are lower than most B-50-17 cars I've seen while modeling them. The two rows of rivets are below the top grab iron and usually appear above the top grab iron.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA.

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

The C&O used this paint scheme on one side of a bunch of their PS1 box cars.  Clerks complained, once dirty, they were harder to read than white lettering.  C&O MAY have used a less bold Futura font .

Al Kresse

On May 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM "Bryian Sones via Groups.Io" <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

These Pics and more were taken by Gary Binder and posted to the "Union Pacific HO Model Railroading Group" on FB With his permission I share them with you.
Gary and his wife took these pics in 2005 off of Highway 30 going through Kimble, Nebraska.  Note the ladders added to the car. Also something very interesting. The bottom set of 8 rivets near the end of the car are lower than most B-50-17 cars I've seen while modeling them. The two rows of rivets are below the top grab iron and usually appear above the top grab iron.

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA.

Bill Welch

Thank you for sharing these Bryian. I saved them to use when building my Sunshine "Private Stock" kit.

Bill Welch

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 02:40 pm, al.kresse wrote:
Bryian

Bryian Sones

Bill, you are quite welcome but the real thanks should go to Gary B. for allowing me to share them with our group. From his own words "He put them out there to inspire modeling and interesting discussions". So enjoy everyone!

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 5:25 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Thank you for sharing these Bryian. I saved them to use when building my Sunshine "Private Stock" kit.

Bill Welch

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 02:40 pm, al.kresse wrote:
Bryian

anthony wagner

Would anyone know the number series of the UP's B-50-17 cars. It looks like the number starts with a 1, then possibly an 8. The third digit is too faded to make out but it appears that the last three digits are 979. According to my 1-1-50 ORER UP had a series of box cars 180000-182346 with 2285 cars still in service at that time. The inside height was 9'3" and the configuration of the ends seem to indicate they may have been rebuilt from USRA DS clones. Any help would be appreciated. Tony Wagner

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 7:25 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Thank you for sharing these Bryian. I saved them to use when building my Sunshine "Private Stock" kit.

Bill Welch

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 02:40 pm, al.kresse wrote:
Bryian

greg kennelly

Tony,

The 1-1-53 ORER shows the same series, 180000 - 182346, with 2261 cars.  The IH shows as 9'-4" and the capacity is listed as 3466 CU FT compared to 3463 as stencilled on this car.  My best guess on the car number agrees with yours - 181979.

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly,
Burnaby, BC, Canada

---
http://www.avg.com

Eric Lombard

Good morning all,

Tony asked " Would anyone know the number series of the UP's B-50-17 cars.

Here is a service abstract for the B-50-17 series compiled from UP records and the ORER.

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 7:07 AM, anthony wagner <anycw1@...> wrote:
Would anyone know the number series of the UP's B-50-17 cars. It looks like the number starts with a 1, then possibly an 8. The third digit is too faded to make out but it appears that the last three digits are 979. According to my 1-1-50 ORER UP had a series of box cars 180000-182346 with 2285 cars still in service at that time. The inside height was 9'3" and the configuration of the ends seem to indicate they may have been rebuilt from USRA DS clones. Any help would be appreciated. Tony Wagner

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 7:25 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Thank you for sharing these Bryian. I saved them to use when building my Sunshine "Private Stock" kit.

Bill Welch

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 02:40 pm, al.kresse wrote:
Bryian

anthony wagner

Greg, Thanks for confirming my guess. I changed the IH in my email to conform to what UP painted on the car. Somebody made a mistake LOL. Tony

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 10:44 AM, greg kennelly <greg_kennelly@...> wrote:

Tony,

The 1-1-53 ORER shows the same series, 180000 - 182346, with 2261 cars.
The IH shows as 9'-4" and the capacity is listed as 3466 CU FT compared
to 3463 as stencilled on this car.  My best guess on the car number
agrees with yours - 181979.

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly,
Burnaby, BC, Canada

---

Bryian Sones

Here are a few more pics.

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 10:13 AM, anthony wagner <anycw1@...> wrote:

Greg, Thanks for confirming my guess. I changed the IH in my email to conform to what UP painted on the car. Somebody made a mistake LOL. Tony

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 10:44 AM, greg kennelly <greg_kennelly@...> wrote:

Tony,

The 1-1-53 ORER shows the same series, 180000 - 182346, with 2261 cars.
The IH shows as 9'-4" and the capacity is listed as 3466 CU FT compared
to 3463 as stencilled on this car.  My best guess on the car number
agrees with yours - 181979.

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly,
Burnaby, BC, Canada

---

Is there  B end shot?

Thanks for the postings so far.

Dan Smith

Bryian Sones

Dan, Gary did not post a pic of the B end but I'll ask and see if he has one and get back with you.

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 2:56 PM, Dan Smith <espeefan@...> wrote:

Is there  B end shot?

Thanks for the postings so far.

Dan Smith

gary laakso

Challenger Imports brought in these cars in brass (Catalog #2408) using the data supplied by Bob Darwin of hyper detail brass locomotives in MR decades ago.  A variety of lettering schemes were offered by Challenger.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

vapeurchapelon

Hello Gary,

thanks for mentioning this beautyful model. But by all its beauty and accuracy one shouldn't embezzle that CIL - for whatever reason - omitted the coupler lift bar and its brackets/ eyebolts (which would be easy to add, nonetheless).

(I am looking for such a model (mint condition or professionally weathered), btw.)

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 05:12 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Interesting B-50-17 pics
Challenger Imports brought in these cars in brass (Catalog #2408) using the data supplied by Bob Darwin of hyper detail brass locomotives in MR decades ago.  A variety of lettering schemes were offered by Challenger.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

naptownprr

embezzle?  Are you sure that's the word you want to use?

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 05:12 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Challenger Imports brought in these cars in brass (Catalog #2408) using the data supplied by Bob Darwin of hyper detail brass locomotives in MR decades ago.  A variety of lettering schemes were offered by Challenger.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

vapeurchapelon

No I am definitely not sure. I used the dicionary to find an English word for "unterschlagen", maybe is "conceal" or "keep quiet about" better for the context? I apologize for such awful problems. I am constantly trying to get better in both modeling and English speaking.

Best Regards

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 16:16 Uhr
Von: naptownprr <jhunter@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 05:12 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 5/7/2018 7:51 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
maybe is "conceal" or "keep quiet about" better for the context? I apologize for such awful problems

    English can be well, hard. Conceal could mean I keep the car in a closet while "keep quiet about" could mean I don't tell anyone I have one.

    I think maybe something along the lines of "show it (freight car) to people" or "display it" (freight car) as opposed to hiding it.  So changing the term "embezzle" to "hide" (the freight car) would work.

    From a guy (me) who can't speak any other language and has a hard time with English (American):-)!

freight car added for legal list reasons:-D

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tom Madden

In this case I think "ignore" might be the best word.

Tom Madden

gary laakso

Johannes, you are correct that their omission on the model was very odd and not noted at the time of their import.   Those locomotive/passenger car importer guys may have been too busy to notice!

Gary Laakso

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 16:16 Uhr
Von: naptownprr <jhunter@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 05:12 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Challenger Imports brought in these cars in brass (Catalog #2408) using the data supplied by Bob Darwin of hyper detail brass locomotives in MR decades ago.  A variety of lettering schemes were offered by Challenger.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

Bryian Sones

Sorry everyon, no pics of the B end. Gary Binder was unable to get any clear pics from that end of the car. Not to far from this B-50-17 was another in Alluminum M.O.W colors laid to rest. Gary sent me pics he took of that car today. I'll share then a little later.

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 16:16 Uhr
Von: naptownprr <jhunter@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 05:12 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Challenger Imports brought in these cars in brass (Catalog #2408) using the data supplied by Bob Darwin of hyper detail brass locomotives in MR decades ago.  A variety of lettering schemes were offered by Challenger.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

Bryian Sones

The B-50-17 model in 1/87 scale was not only produced  in brass by CIL but alson in Resin by Martin of Sunshine Models and Ted Collata of Speedwitch Media. The Model was produced under the "private stock lable". I've built a few from my collection and I am currently workin on one to resemble the Car Gary Binder took photos of.  These cars sometimes appear on Ebay but I've never won any. Mine, I bought from Martin at the Perris, CA swap meet many years ago.

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 16:16 Uhr
Von: naptownprr <jhunter@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Gesendet: Montag, 07. Mai 2018 um 05:12 Uhr