Transporting The World's Longest Cable

Bob Chaparro

The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

Overhead shot:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c71ec95595f72d35_large

Factory interior (Okonite, Patterson, NJ):

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/71cc3cf2702fd63f_large

So, anybody know the story behind the photos?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 5/7/2018 6:00 PM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

    I like the bent handgrab.  So if anyone makes a minor mistake on installing a handgrab it's prototypical!:-D

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Benjamin Hom

Bob Chaparro asked:
"The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

Overhead shot:
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c71ec95595f72d35_large

Factory interior (Okonite, Patterson, NJ):
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/71cc3cf2702fd63f_large

So, anybody know the story behind the photos?"

A simple Google search turned up this Bonneville Power Administration film documenting the laying of a 4 1/2 mile submarine power cable to the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound:

You can see the cable train at 8:00 in the video.

Ben Hom

Undersea comm cable?

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On May 7, 2018, at 8:00 PM, Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

Overhead shot:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c71ec95595f72d35_large

Factory interior (Okonite, Patterson, NJ):

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/71cc3cf2702fd63f_large

So, anybody know the story behind the photos?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

David Soderblom

Note how askew the brake wheels are! And I thought I was bad at getting them on straight!

Benjamin Hom

I wrote:
"A simple Google search turned up this Bonneville Power Administration film documenting the laying of a 4 1/2 mile submarine power cable to the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound:

Typo in the length of the cable - it was actually 7 1/2 miles long.

Ben Hom

rwitt_2000

This photo shows someone wearing a US Navy jacket so this maybe a US military purchase and installation.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/4240f58a16b538e2_large

Bob Witt

VERY cool!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On May 7, 2018, at 8:15 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro asked:
"The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

Overhead shot:
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c71ec95595f72d35_large

Factory interior (Okonite, Patterson, NJ):
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/71cc3cf2702fd63f_large

So, anybody know the story behind the photos?"

A simple Google search turned up this Bonneville Power Administration film documenting the laying of a 4 1/2 mile submarine power cable to the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound:

You can see the cable train at 8:00 in the video.

Ben Hom

Douglas Harding

Would the welder be welding the chains between the cars to prevent separation should a coupler fail? A separation would damage the load.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

Overhead shot:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c71ec95595f72d35_large

Factory interior (Okonite, Patterson, NJ):

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/71cc3cf2702fd63f_large

So, anybody know the story behind the photos?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Rufus Cone

Life Magazine, May 1, 1951, pp.  75-76.

Bob Chaparro wrote:

The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Rhbale@...

What is the vertical rod to the left of the ladder in

Rufus Cone

Retainer pipe.

What is the vertical rod to the left of the ladder in
--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Mansell Peter Hambly

To me, it looks like a retainer valve.

Mansell Peter Hambly
COQUITLAM, B.C.

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Rhbale via Groups.Io" <Rhbale@...>
Date: Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:00 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

What is the vertical rod to the left of the ladder in

David Soderblom

Obviously they wanted to keep it very clean. Note the unusual dunnage and the linings added to each car. A lot of carpenters were kept very busy preparing the cars.

David Soderblom

Jeff

I'd hate to have to climb onto that right hand gon in the first photo. Those grab irons look like quite the stretch.

Jeff Shultz

On Mon, May 7, 2018, 18:00 Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

The only information I have on this Life Magazine photo is a caption that says " The World's Longest Cable" and a date of March 1951:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ebf357cf3c52bc67_large

The man in the photo is welding something and the cars are connected by a chain as well as couplers.

Overhead shot:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c71ec95595f72d35_large

Factory interior (Okonite, Patterson, NJ):

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/71cc3cf2702fd63f_large

So, anybody know the story behind the photos?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

rwitt_2000

Has anyone made estimates of the number of gondolas required to transport this load based upon the gross weight 250000-LBS, the total length 7.5 miles and the linear density of the cable 19-LBS/ft?

Weight only would require about 10 gondolas of 70-ton capacity, but the limit seems to be the number of coils of cable load in each car. I can't determine the number from the available photos. I'm guessing 3 to 4 coils per gondola.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

I missed wrote I meant layers not coils.

There are 4 coils or loops per layer, but I can't determine the number of layers.

Bob Witt