Calcium carbide car?

RICH CHAPIN

Google “calcium carbide container” and you’ll see drums [55 gal] and 5 gal plastic pails and some neat container cars—all currently used;  use the wayback machine then imagine the interior of the car when loaded back then—I can see drums, or barrels or cans –all water tight,  in that car—still doesn’t explain the wooden walkways, although maybe the spaces along the sides fit one drum—a single row along the exterior to limit the amount in the car; since we don’t “know” the car was used transport calcium carbide, which could simply be the name of the car, not the use of the car, I can view the above as a morning swag

Windows for light I’d say

Rich Chapin

Wooden walkways don’t spark.

Thanks!
--
Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of RICH CHAPIN <rwc27q@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 6:50 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Calcium carbide car?

Google “calcium carbide container” and you’ll see drums [55 gal] and 5 gal plastic pails and some neat container cars—all currently used;  use the wayback machine then imagine the interior of the car when loaded back then—I can see drums, or barrels or cans –all water tight,  in that car—still doesn’t explain the wooden walkways, although maybe the spaces along the sides fit one drum—a single row along the exterior to limit the amount in the car; since we don’t “know” the car was used transport calcium carbide, which could simply be the name of the car, not the use of the car, I can view the above as a morning swag

Windows for light I’d say

Rich Chapin

davidbriel2000 <DBriel1782@...>

This is the old AHM HO model of the Calcium Carbide Flatcar. Sorry about the post STEAM era roadname, I do not know if the NYC or PRR owned any calcium carbide flatcars. David Briel